2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marc.W

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

RonDennis wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 17:11
Marc.W wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 17:10
Big Tea wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 16:57
I feel Renault lucked into this one. What has been defects on their package became an advantage toady and the Mclarens strength held it back (literally).
The wheel problem may even be a heads up and don't lose concentration/count your chickens call
I agree, I suspect normal service will resume at Singapore
Yeah, but it's Singapore. Normal and Singapore don't go well together.
Probably McLaren's last chance this year to steal a podium

Jackles-UK

Marc.W wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 17:56
RonDennis wrote:
Marc.W wrote:

Singapore has the second slowest average lap time of the season (after Monaco), I don’t see how a car which has struggled in slow corners all season can be expected to compete near the front without a huge slice of luck or half a dozen retirements from front running cars.

SmallSoldier

Marc.W wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
Marc.W wrote:
If it’s a matter of “stealing” a podium... There could be a few more chances down the road... There will probably be more penalties for Renault and RBR and we’ve seeing so far that a lot can happen during a race... I wouldn’t bank on it though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marc.W

Jackles-UK wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 18:05
Marc.W wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

Singapore has the second slowest average lap time of the season (after Monaco), I don’t see how a car which has struggled in slow corners all season can be expected to compete near the front without a huge slice of luck or half a dozen retirements from front running cars.
5th on pace in Hungary doesn't exactly scream "struggling in slow corners" tbh

Darth-Piekus

Weren't we clearly 4th in race pace in Hungary?

charliesmithhd

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 19:31
Kimi said that Alfa was just as fast, if not faster than mclaren so maybe not ‘clearly’

proteus

Marc.W wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 18:43
Jackles-UK wrote:
Marc.W wrote:

5th on pace in Hungary doesn't exactly scream "struggling in slow corners" tbh
I would say that hey struggle in slow corners on the tracks that have a fast slow combination, or something like that. If the track would be only slow (like Monaco) they would be probably fine, if it was only super fast, like an oval as well, but when both extremes are combined they cant set the car to be best in all types of corners, so they bleed time.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

godlameroso

Jackles-UK wrote:
Marc.W wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

Car did very well in tracks with predominantly low to mid speed corners though. It was the fastest car in the midfield in Hungary, and Sainz does very well here. It's like the start of the season all over again, they start off slow, and finish strong. At least Norris salvaged a point, and shows there was some pace in the car. Pity for Carlos, it must be frustrating to end up like that, now he knows how Norris felt last race. Well I'm sure McLaren will bounce back.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

Seidl:
We don’t have a tailored low-downforce package but the team has worked very hard with the tools they had available, and in both events we could’ve scored good points.
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2019/ita ... rand-prix/

Capharol

M840TR wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 20:29
Seidl:
We don’t have a tailored low-downforce package but the team has worked very hard with the tools they had available, and in both events we could’ve scored good points.
which brings me back to my earlier statement, somewhere last week Rank 4 in WCC isn't secure at all

M840TR

Capharol wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 20:40
M840TR wrote:
Seidl:
which brings me back to my earlier statement, somewhere last week Rank 4 in WCC isn't secure at all
Totally agreed. Good thing there aren't any more low-df tracks coming up then .

Marc.W

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 19:31
Sorry, I meant Sainz 5th fastest on track, not team

ESPImperium

These two races were McLarens worst on paper, this could have been better if Lando had got that P5 in Spa and if Carlos had got that P6 today.

However, Singapore and Sochi may suit better and with the rest of the tracks being more agreeable, as long as they have a car that is more mechanically supple and is better in medium to high downforce tracks. Im thinking that Renault will be a good package in Mexico and Interlagos.

However, i do think that there will be many more power unit or power unit element failures for not only McLaren but across the grid. Ferrari and Mercedes i think will have issues as well, and id be surprised if any driver doesn't take at least one engine related failure. Many new elements, especially the ICE have just done Spa and or Monza, will be seen next in Sochi and every track for the remainder of the season, some teams may also put Suzuka to the Spec 2 or B Spec engine as its a hard track to overtake on traditionally.

At the moment, McLaren are doing enough, they just need a bit of luck, and also to be able to be first of the rest in F1.5/B Class, and if any of the top 6 cars have issues on the way.

Jackles-UK

godlameroso wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 20:24
Jackles-UK wrote:
Marc.W wrote:

Car did very well in tracks with predominantly low to mid speed corners though. It was the fastest car in the midfield in Hungary, and Sainz does very well here. It's like the start of the season all over again, they start off slow, and finish strong. At least Norris salvaged a point, and shows there was some pace in the car. Pity for Carlos, it must be frustrating to end up like that, now he knows how Norris felt last race. Well I'm sure McLaren will bounce back.
I’m still not convinced for Singapore but we should still be comfortably ahead of the Renault which is definitely lacking high-downforce performance more so than the McLaren. However, the rest of the races in the season run-in after that (Russia, Japan, USA, Mexico, Brazil & Abu Dhabi) are all tracks which should suit this chassis so I’m still pretty upbeat.

diffuser

Capharol wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 20:40
M840TR wrote:
Seidl:
Still think it's prety secure ... We've just gone through the worst case senario over the last 2 weekends and we still have a 18 point lead. Both Races show we had good pace to haul in good points had we executed. We''ll not go on "not exectuting" indefinately.