2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

M840TR wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 20:29
Seidl:
We don’t have a tailored low-downforce package but the team has worked very hard with the tools they had available, and in both events we could’ve scored good points.
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2019/ita ... rand-prix/
That's what I said Saturday.

_cerber1

Question What bothers you more - is this a mistake at the pit stop or the pace of Renault, because their cars were much faster than McLaren

Andreas Seidl: We are upset that Renault was faster than us and earned a lot of points, while we are only one. It is all the more important now to regroup and carefully analyze everything. But given the technical solutions we introduced before the August break, when we were working on a version of the aerodynamic body kit for tracks that need high downforce, as well as the new products that we are preparing for the upcoming races, we still hope that we will continue until the end of the season fight for 4th place in the Cup of designers.

Question And how many new products do you plan to present before the end of the season

Andreas Seidl: We are not talking about any major developments, but only minor improvements, but we plan to implement them in at least two or three next races. But we also have to decide at what point we will fully switch to preparing for the next season. So far this question remains open.

Question Maybe the results of today's race will affect your plans, because Renault is already pretty close to McLaren in the Cup of designers

Andreas Seidl: No. Although, of course, we would like to continue the struggle for 4th place as long as possible, but at the same time it is even more important for me to take the next step forward in developing the car for the next season. And I do not want to make any unplanned compromises and suddenly return to finalizing the chassis of this year. We have drawn up an action plan for 2019, we also have a schedule for preparing for 2020, and we intend to adhere to this approach.

Emag

Am I the only one that doesn't care much for that 4th place? If giving that up means that McLaren will be closer to the top next year then I'll gladly take it. Sure the prize money would be nice, but I am certain McLaren is not struggling for money right now. Keeping 4th is more of a redemption for McLaren, but I think they already have surprised people this year. If they lose out to Renault because of bad luck and bad reliability of the engine, that doesn't really make them look bad.

RonDennis

Emag wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 11:32
Am I the only one that doesn't care much for that 4th place? If giving that up means that McLaren will be closer to the top next year then I'll gladly take it. Sure the prize money would be nice, but I am certain McLaren is not struggling for money right now. Keeping 4th is more of a redemption for McLaren, but I think they already have surprised people this year. If they lose out to Renault because of bad luck and bad reliability of the engine, that doesn't really make them look bad.
Yeah, but it's the only thing to fight about. It isn't that important, but it will be nice to beat the works team after having one of the slowest cars in 2018.

Jolle

Emag wrote:
Well.... their parent group isn't in the best of state, more and more loans need to be refinanced after they initial startup from McLaren automotive and the stock buy back last year from Dennis. They started selling of their heritage cars to close the financial gaps of the race team. From memory they need around one billion pounds in new loans the coming years. Their financial status is just around the zero point (what you have owe in loans and what you own in buildings, orders, parts, stock). They can't afford any mishaps or something like recession.

Marc.W

Emag wrote:
Even 5th would be a great improvement and I certainly wouldn't be disappointed, but why settle for that when 4th is right there

Vasconia

Marc.W wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 13:48
Emag wrote:
Even 5th would be a great improvement and I certainly wouldn't be disappointed, but why settle for that when 4th is right there
It means money for the team and this is always important.

diffuser

If they don't hold on to 4th place after the lead they've had, it would mean a continuing of repeated falures in execution. Which would look bad on them and really make them look like the 2018 McLaren and a step backward.

Vasconia

Marc.W wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 18:43
Jackles-UK wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 18:05
Marc.W wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 17:56

Probably McLaren's last chance this year to steal a podium
Singapore has the second slowest average lap time of the season (after Monaco), I don’t see how a car which has struggled in slow corners all season can be expected to compete near the front without a huge slice of luck or half a dozen retirements from front running cars.
5th on pace in Hungary doesn't exactly scream "struggling in slow corners" tbh
I don´t know why Hungary was so good taking into accoun that this car lacks downforce.

What happened with Sainz yesterday was a pity, he was being stellar again and a 6th position would have been fenomenal.

diffuser

Vasconia wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 14:46
Marc.W wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 18:43
Jackles-UK wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 18:05

Singapore has the second slowest average lap time of the season (after Monaco), I don’t see how a car which has struggled in slow corners all season can be expected to compete near the front without a huge slice of luck or half a dozen retirements from front running cars.
5th on pace in Hungary doesn't exactly scream "struggling in slow corners" tbh
I don´t know why Hungary was so good taking into accoun that this car lacks downforce.

What happened with Sainz yesterday was a pity, he was being stellar again and a 6th position would have been fenomenal.
Cause they made changes to the front suspension that improved that DF by lowering the car.

wesley123

Capharol wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 20:40
M840TR wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 20:29
Seidl:
We don’t have a tailored low-downforce package but the team has worked very hard with the tools they had available, and in both events we could’ve scored good points.
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2019/ita ... rand-prix/
which brings me back to my earlier statement, somewhere last week Rank 4 in WCC isn't secure at all
With Renaults big score I have to come back on my words :P
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:If they don't hold on to 4th place after the lead they've had, it would mean a continuing of repeated falures in execution. Which would look bad on them and really make them look like the 2018 McLaren and a step backward.
I believe that regardless if they finish 4th or not, this season will be considered a huge improvement towards 2018 and could even be considered a success.

From a performance perspective, the team has made improvements compared to 2018 in every race this season... Actually, they have showed more improvement than almost every other team, which was the goal from the beginning of the season.

I don’t think the team was expecting to be in 4th position at this time of the season and it is a pleasant surprise... Furthermore, the team has had their fair share of bad luck in this season, Sainz in Bahrain, Norris in Canada or Norris in Spa were situation external to the team and hide what the actual performance is.

The remaining races won’t be easy and the margins with the rest of the midfield remain very tight... Renault and Alfa continue to be a threat in every race and Racing Point has showed a lot of improvement in the last couple of races.

Finally, I hope that the team isn’t thinking short term and jeopardizing the development of the 2020 car in order to try and ensure 4th place... Closing the gap to the top 3 in 2020 (and hopefully building a gap to the midfield) has to be a priority over this year’s WCC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emag

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 20:17
From a performance perspective, the team has made improvements compared to 2018 in every race this season... Actually, they have showed more improvement than almost every other team, which was the goal from the beginning of the season.
This was the point that I was trying to make. They have already reached the goal this season in my opinion. It might look like McLaren did not have a great week in monza, but even in their bad weak, they actually improved around ~1.6 seconds over their qualifying lap of last season. Almost 0.5 seconds more than Renault did. If they manage to close the same margin for next season, then we will be in for a great season in 2020. And if they need to allocate all of their resources to next year's car to do that, hence stopping the development for this year, I wouldn't mind at all.

Big Tea

They need (realistic) targets. Just some vague notion of improving is not a tangible thing. They know what they need to do to keep 4th, estimating the gap to 5th place is a poke in the ribs if they snooze.

This also carries over to next year when they must improve. Improving from 5th to forth would be far easier
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:They need (realistic) targets. Just some vague notion of improving is not a tangible thing. They know what they need to do to keep 4th, estimating the gap to 5th place is a poke in the ribs if they snooze.

This also carries over to next year when they must improve. Improving from 5th to forth would be far easier
I don’t think there is a vague notion of improvement... Both qualifying and race pace have considerably improved over previous season, but more important their improvement compared to their rivals is also larger.

From one lap pace, to race pace and even points scored, this season is tangibly better than the last one... If the target was to improve versus the previous season(s), then so far is mission accomplished.

I’m sure their stretch target is to finish 4th (frosting on the cake) and they even have a chance to place Carlos in P6 in the drivers standings... Both would be great accomplishments, but if not achieved it wouldn’t take away from what is so far a good season for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk