2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

On a random note, I just watched Hobbs and Shaw, parts were filmed both inside and outside the Mclaren Technology centre.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

James Key must be relishing the different challenge he has in McLaren. Interesting article, I just hope we don't get another 2013.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-p ... hallenger/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 11:02
James Key must be relishing the different challenge he has in McLaren. Interesting article, I just hope we don't get another 2013.

I hope they do not make too radical a change after so many (small but) forwards steps this year.

He says ~“So, I think fundamentally we won’t change the numbers surrounding it, but conceptually it will change a little bit.”~
But it was only small steps that brought Mclaren to where they are ans a very small backward step could easily see them slide 3 or 4 places back.

I know they have to run to stand still and would be swamped without changes, but it is still a concern
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Big Tea wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 11:10
Ground Effect wrote:

I hope they do not make too radical a change after so many (small but) forwards steps this year.

He says ~“So, I think fundamentally we won’t change the numbers surrounding it, but conceptually it will change a little bit.”~
But it was only small steps that brought Mclaren to where they are ans a very small backward step could easily see them slide 3 or 4 places back.

I know they have to run to stand still and would be swamped without changes, but it is still a concern
If their conceptual changes are dues to what they have learned from this years car then where’s the drama?

Let’s not forget they’re still 1sec a lap down on pace in race trim alone, even more on Saturdays, so something still needs to change

M840TR
M840TR

the EDGE wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 18:43
Big Tea wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

If their conceptual changes are dues to what they have learned from this years car then where’s the drama?

Let’s not forget they’re still 1sec a lap down on pace in race trim alone, even more on Saturdays, so something still needs to change
Actually, I'd say most mid-fielders including Mclaren have a worse race pace than quali. Plenty of factors behind this obviously but the most significant one is probably the tyre management.

the EDGE
the EDGE

M840TR wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 18:46
the EDGE wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Actually, I'd say most mid-fielders including Mclaren have a worse race pace than quali. Plenty of factors behind this obviously but the most significant one is probably the tyre management.
I’ve never herd anyone suggest, nor seen any evidence that McLaren have tyre issues. They even voted to keep the current range when others wanted a change. Now Hass is a team with tyre struggles, that’s plain and simple to see.

As far as I am aware McLaren simply lack efficient downforce, they have some... more than others, but still along way from top 3 (relatively speaking of course)

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 21:22
M840TR wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 18:46
the EDGE wrote:

I’ve never herd anyone suggest, nor seen any evidence that McLaren have tyre issues. They even voted to keep the current range when others wanted a change. Now Hass is a team with tyre struggles, that’s plain and simple to see.

As far as I am aware McLaren simply lack efficient downforce, they have some... more than others, but still along way from top 3 (relatively speaking of course)
I don't think he is suggesting they have tyre issues, just that with less downforce the tyre wear is naturally higher than a leading team, hence a greater race drop off.

Personally I feel it's a bit hard to tell, I feel like there have been races when we have been aggressive and not had to compromise our strategy.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

I just have a feeling that they will be looking at the front and mid wing for next year. I wonder what Key knows about this years RB solution and how it can aid Mclaren.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

marmer
marmer

Morteza wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 23:31
https://youtu.be/zTaWZ-ECG2Q
Got to love lando

M840TR
M840TR

mwillems wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 23:10
Big Tea wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

I just have a feeling that they will be looking at the front and mid wing for next year. I wonder what Key knows about this years RB solution and how it can aid Mclaren.
Probably a tighter packaging with revised intercoolers and maybe a raised rear suspension/transmission setup for creating space for low-pressure area over diffuser. I don't expect significantly radical changes to the front wing however; if they can devise a clever & effective front suspension without excessively biasing the front wing for downforce then the tapered arrangement won't do much harm.

RonDennis
RonDennis

I think they viewed this year also as learning proces and probably made some changes that were maybe a bit too extreme after their terrible 2018. The chassis department clearly did a good job for this year, so have some faith. I also still believe that the 2017 McLaren was a very good car.

diffuser

RonDennis wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:23
I think they viewed this year also as learning proces and probably made some changes that were maybe a bit too extreme after their terrible 2018. The chassis department clearly did a good job for this year, so have some faith. I also still believe that the 2017 McLaren was a very good car.
Yeah, you go backwards by standing still. So you need to move forward and have faith.

I agree with 840s suggestion of tightening of the area behind the driver. Creating more of a taper.

I suspect we'll see front suspension changes (cause of all the testing we've seen) and a double decker barge board wing.

I agree we will not see much on a change of front wing.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

It seems that Mclaren doesn’t have the expected pace in Sochi... It’s only practice and I’m sure there is more to be found before Qualifying, but they may be missing a golden opportunity for points in Russia since both RBR’s will probably start in 10-11th position.

Was expecting more today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chrisgr
chrisgr

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 15:13
It seems that Mclaren doesn’t have the expected pace in Sochi... It’s only practice and I’m sure there is more to be found before Qualifying, but they may be missing a golden opportunity for points in Russia since both RBR’s will probably start in 10-11th position.

Was expecting more today.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wouldn't be so pessimistic. Mclaren has been like this, during free practices, for many gps. I would wait for the qualifying before I make any conclusions.