2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

geogate wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 11:17
the thing with companies like Mclaren and Mercedes is they have more going on than just F1. I can see other areas where Mercedes would quite like a relationship with Mclaren again, namely Electric vehicle technology.
As for Mclaren, they wernt really given much choice given the terms Renault were trying to impose. I dont think there are many people here that would have been too chuffed with that either
Terms ? We don't know there was any terms do we ?

We know there was an offer to share gearboxes. We don't know it was a take or leave it deal? It was more like a, we'd like to this to if you want. To my understanding it was not a do this or no PU.

_cerber1

McLaren and Mercedes have officially denied Lando's transition.

mwillems

M840TR wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 18:20
mwillems wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 16:01
I think some folks have their tin hats on since this deal.

Well I'm happy to move to Merc for 2021, I hope that Merc are still at the front in PUs by then. Renault and Ferrari seem to be making more gains than Merc this year.

If it is the same next year and 2021 then it's not such a good deal, simple as that.
Renault made the gains because they were way behind on power. Even now they're behind Merc and not even anywhere near in reliability. 2020 should show a clearer picture of where they stand and Brixworth seems to be confident about its prospects given all the development freeze talk.
This is all true, but a year and a half is a long time in engine development, I'm just aware that this deal is not the holy grail.

Is it official that the Merc engines are being provided cheaper than Renault?

I wonder if it is just a smart marketing ploy against a road car competitor.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

M840TR
M840TR

mwillems wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 17:52
M840TR wrote:
mwillems wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 16:01
I think some folks have their tin hats on since this deal.

Well I'm happy to move to Merc for 2021, I hope that Merc are still at the front in PUs by then. Renault and Ferrari seem to be making more gains than Merc this year.

If it is the same next year and 2021 then it's not such a good deal, simple as that.
Renault made the gains because they were way behind on power. Even now they're behind Merc and not even anywhere near in reliability. 2020 should show a clearer picture of where they stand and Brixworth seems to be confident about its prospects given all the development freeze talk.
This is all true, but a year and a half is a long time in engine development, I'm just aware that this deal is not the holy grail.

Mclaren don't consider it to be the holy grail either. They wanted a reliable partner that can be consistently counted on to deliver and Mercedes is the best choice.

The future will always be unpredictable. Who knows which engine will lead the field in 2 years' time? But what we do know is that Brixworth is currently their best bet if they want to materialize any title prospects and that's what drove the decision.

mwillems

M840TR wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 18:26
mwillems wrote:
M840TR wrote:

Mclaren don't consider it to be the holy grail either. They wanted a reliable partner that can be consistently counted on to deliver and Mercedes is the best choice.

The future will always be unpredictable. Who knows which engine will lead the field in 2 years' time? But what we do know is that Brixworth is currently their best bet if they want to materialize any title prospects and that's what drove the decision.
It's more a comment for the Forum at large than my thoughts on what Mclaren think, as a reaction to some of the more extreme opinions to the switch.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
mwillems wrote:
M840TR wrote:

Please use the term "Agruably the best". Some people are really picky.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 21:12
M840TR wrote:
mwillems wrote:

It's more a comment for the Forum at large than my thoughts on what Mclaren think, as a reaction to some of the more extreme opinions to the switch.
I kind of feel bad for Renault and TBH I expected the FIA to have prevent McLaren going to Merc. that makes me suspect that Renault are leave F1.

I would have Chosen the Merc PU had I been left with the same 2 options.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 22:05
mwillems wrote:
M840TR wrote:

I kind of feel bad for Renault and TBH I expected the FIA to have prevent McLaren going to Merc. that makes me suspect that Renault are leave F1.

Given how Renault wished to be more entwined with Mclaren, I'm not sure. It just seems very odd and Renault now seem to be a in a very lonely situation. But it is a good point and you may be right.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 22:07
diffuser wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 22:05
mwillems wrote:

Given how Renault wished to be more entwined with Mclaren, I'm not sure. It just seems very odd and Renault now seem to be a in a very lonely situation. But it is a good point and you may be right.
not sure this was posted here. Iappologise if it was...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... kend_LC_LC

the EDGE
the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 23:01

I fail to see how that could be of benefit for either team. What they need to do is hire the right staff, invest in the best resources and focus on the task in hand, not have endless meetings, discussions & collaboration projects with their closest rival

geogate
geogate

diffuser wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 15:09
geogate wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 11:17
the thing with companies like Mclaren and Mercedes is they have more going on than just F1. I can see other areas where Mercedes would quite like a relationship with Mclaren again, namely Electric vehicle technology.
As for Mclaren, they wernt really given much choice given the terms Renault were trying to impose. I dont think there are many people here that would have been too chuffed with that either
Terms ? We don't know there was any terms do we ?

We know there was an offer to share gearboxes. We don't know it was a take or leave it deal? It was more like a, we'd like to this to if you want. To my understanding it was not a do this or no PU.
no it probably wasnt a take it or leave it deal - but when they are laying out their future vision of how relationships is wanted to work, its a little more than just throwing out ideas. Renault have been making these noises for a while now - they want that relationship with someone, that seems fairly evident
Last edited by geogate on 05 Oct 2019, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

If we think back, there was also somewhat of a panic to get an engine deal done so they could get on with it and Honda was out, Merc was still probably ot an option Ferrari was never going to be, so they probably went into the Renault contract with hands tied.
Now the urgency has passed they may be looking at the contract and thinking , don't like this, they would not allow that, this is not what we want etc and Renault possibly saying 'this is it, take it or leave it' . We really do not know what they had to accept as they were in a jam and had no option.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

the EDGE wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 09:52
diffuser wrote:

I fail to see how that could be of benefit for either team. What they need to do is hire the right staff, invest in the best resources and focus on the task in hand, not have endless meetings, discussions & collaboration projects with their closest rival
Well it's helped Haas. it would be a cost savings. if you could make it work.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 14:13
the EDGE wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I don’t think Haas have Championship ambitions. In such arrangements, it would be near impossible for both parties to be on equal footing.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 14:56
diffuser wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 14:13
the EDGE wrote:

I don’t think Haas have Championship ambitions. In such arrangements, it would be near impossible for both parties to be on equal footing.
Right but the Haas arrangement is more of a one way agreement. Haas can take or leave the parts. They don't really have input in thier design.

It all depends on what you're sharing Like a transmission would be easier than the whole rear end (including suspension).

If you're sharing the rear suspension, there could be a big debate about changes to it.