2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Morteza

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

diffuser

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 11:58
Juzh wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 17:07
sainz's p7 lap from fp2 - 1.29.051
https://streamable.com/9538k

vs verstappen
https://streamable.com/yl7mq

As you can see mclaren holds it's own pretty well against verstappen here up until spoon corner, then gets completely demolished on the back straight. Bad ERS recovery after 130r is a tradition at this point for renault engines. Just look at how much speed sainz loses compared to verstappen at that stage. The sooner they're done with renault, the better for them. I don't think car itself is too draggy, since speed on the main straight is almost identical.
Wow thanks for the videos and analysis =D> . Yes both cars are perfectly matched up to spoon, and after 130R top speed before hitting brakes is 303km/h for RBR vs 288 for McLaren :o

Aerodinamically I think we can safely say RBR is some step forward, so PUs power can be argued, maybe Renault is providing a bit more peak power wich makes up the deficit of running more wing, but we can´t argue Renault is lacking some ERS recovery with that difference after 130R when they´ve been perfectly matched the whole lap up to that point
Like I said, I disagree. I think it's inconclusive

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 14:33
Andres125sx wrote:
Juzh wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 17:07
sainz's p7 lap from fp2 - 1.29.051

vs verstappen

As you can see mclaren holds it's own pretty well against verstappen here up until spoon corner, then gets completely demolished on the back straight. Bad ERS recovery after 130r is a tradition at this point for renault engines. Just look at how much speed sainz loses compared to verstappen at that stage. The sooner they're done with renault, the better for them. I don't think car itself is too draggy, since speed on the main straight is almost identical.
Wow thanks for the videos and analysis =D> . Yes both cars are perfectly matched up to spoon, and after 130R top speed before hitting brakes is 303km/h for RBR vs 288 for McLaren :o

Aerodinamically I think we can safely say RBR is some step forward, so PUs power can be argued, maybe Renault is providing a bit more peak power wich makes up the deficit of running more wing, but we can´t argue Renault is lacking some ERS recovery with that difference after 130R when they´ve been perfectly matched the whole lap up to that point
What part? It´sobvious up to spoon they´re matched and before reaching last chicane (so just a straight after including 130R as that´s not a corner nowadays) there´s a big difference, then we can argue about what makes that difference, but I think after 130R it´s obvious McLaren run out of electrical energy. Their speed decreases from 130R making 15km/h deficit compared to RBR when before that their speed had been almost identical all along the lap

godlameroso

Well think about it. Renault seems to make less progress than its competitors, not just their car, but engine wise as well. They were ok at the start of the year but Honda engine is better than Renault's.

A shame as I think McLaren would be closer to the front with a better engine. I hope Renault catches up over the winter.
Saishū kōnā

mwillems

Isn't it possible that the Honda is better at deploying it's energy, but still slower in raw ICE power? It could be that the RB has better aero efficiency that overcomes the engine deficiency.
The engines could be evenly matched, but with different strengths and that the difference is the cars themselves.

I find it hard to believe our car is as good as the RB here, no disrespect to Mclaren. But I don't think that the gap has been closed or that the track suits us that much that it can close the gap to RB for us. Maybe it is that, but I'd need to see more to think it was the case.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 14:47
diffuser wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 14:33
Andres125sx wrote:

What part? It´sobvious up to spoon they´re matched and before reaching last chicane (so just a straight after including 130R as that´s not a corner nowadays) there´s a big difference, then we can argue about what makes that difference, but I think after 130R it´s obvious McLaren run out of electrical energy. Their speed decreases from 130R making 15km/h deficit compared to RBR when before that their speed had been almost identical all along the lap
Read my reply to him above or the previous page. and below now.
Last edited by diffuser on 12 Oct 2019, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 15:28
Well think about it. Renault seems to make less progress than its competitors, not just their car, but engine wise as well. They were ok at the start of the year but Honda engine is better than Renault's.

A shame as I think McLaren would be closer to the front with a better engine. I hope Renault catches up over the winter.

Like I said:

Sainz actually goes in to turns 13 and 14 ahead(1:04) but comes out behind Max(1:09). Max carries 10 KPH more speed thru the corner. Max also gets on the throttle a fraction earlier. Sainz never does recover more than half of that 10KPH before 15. It only appears to, since Max hits 15 earlier and has his speed drop off earlier.

You could argue that the Renault out accelerates the Honda in the uphill battle out of turn 14 down into 15 because Sainz's speed is getting closer and closer to Max's, having started with a 10KPH deficit.

It's obvious Both PUs are struggling to acheive the same top speed they get going downhill past the finished line and into turn 1. We would need to see the back of the car to see if the flashing light turns on to see if they're out of electrical power. I would not be surprised if both cars run out of electrical power for a few seconds and then it comes back on. Since they're both at full throttle the turbo is at max electrical generation. The acceleration looks uneven at times. Looks like it slows then returns to the previous rate. that could be a 1000 things though.
Last edited by diffuser on 12 Oct 2019, 16:40, edited 2 times in total.

godlameroso

diffuser wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 15:58
godlameroso wrote:

Like I said:

Sainz actually goes in to turns 13 and 14 ahead(1:04) but comes out behind Max(1:09). Max carries 10 KPH more speed thru the corner. Max also gets on the throttle a fraction earlier. Sainz never does recover more than half of that 10KPH before 15. It only appears to, since Max hits 15 earlier and has his speed drop off earlier.

You could argue that the Renault out accelerates the Honda in the uphill battle out of turn 14 down into 15 because Sainz's speed is getting closer and closer to Max's, having started with a 10KPH deficit.

It's obvious Both PUs are struggling to acheive the same top speed they get going downhill past the finished line and into turn 1. We would need to see the back of the car to see if the flashing light turns on to see if they're out of electrical power. I would not be surprised if both cars run out of electrical power for a few seconds and then it comes back on. Since they're both at full throttle the turbo is at max electrical generation. The acceleration looks uneven at times. Looks like it slows then returns to the previous rate. that could be a 1000 things though.
There is only one DRS zone, plus downhill, without DRS on the back straight the car's drag is there to see. Terminal drag may be higher on the McLaren vs RB.

Perhaps reducing rake at speed helps in this regard, and McLaren has less dynamic rake than the top teams.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 16:28
diffuser wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 15:58
godlameroso wrote:

Like I said:

There is only one DRS zone, plus downhill, without DRS on the back straight the car's drag is there to see. Terminal drag may be higher on the McLaren vs RB.

Perhaps reducing rake at speed helps in this regard, and McLaren has less dynamic rake than the top teams.

Finally, you had me worried for a second ... I thought I had lost you to the world of BS!

_cerber1

The third sector of Lando was better than that of Carlos, you need to find his video and see what is there with speed. In general, speed in training is not indicative

godlameroso

_cerber1 wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 16:47
The third sector of Lando was better than that of Carlos, you need to find his video and see what is there with speed. In general, speed in training is not indicative
Considering they'll still have qualifying by the looks of it, and a good day to optimize the cars things should even out. The circuit will be incredibly green, and will ramp up tremendously, timing will be crucial. Sometimes the circuit peaks then falls off, sometimes it keeps getting better as more laps are put on it. Qualifying will be quite busy and no one will bother running anything but soft tires, the race will be a different matter. With a lot of downforce on your car you will have less sliding, but higher cornering speeds, so finding the compromise for the race will be tricky, as too much one way or the other can hurt you. Benefits of having a lot of downforce, flexibility with tire wear, ability to follow other cars, hurts you on straights. So for defense on straights having a little less downforce is better, particularly since slipstream is stronger now.

You'd need a tire advantage for it to work though, so lucking into a safety or virtual safety car? Unlikely as it usually only happens on lap one. After a few laps the pace is settled and only in late race do we see people dicing it out, unless we see alternate strategies being played out.

Tire wear is an issue around here, with noticeable degradation after 20 or so laps on even the hardest tire. A two stopper is possible for some, McLaren has traditionally been kind on its tires so they could benefit from a one stop if the pace is there.

With 53 laps management will be key in order to make the one stop work. McLaren seems to have very decent long run pace, and with tire wear they may have an edge over the others.
Saishū kōnā

RonDennis

Should be a easy P7 and P8 without any problems.

SmallSoldier

And that’s P7 and P8... Great showing by Mclaren and awesome drive by both Carlos and Lando... 1.2 seconds from pole is definitely an improvement!

Nice setup for the car and should work well in the race... Time to try and get some good points... With Renault starting in the back of the midfield, this is a great opportunity to build a comfortable lead in the WDC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

_cerber1

P7 and P8 =D> =D> =D>

diffuser

Oh the irony..... McLaren was faster that RBR in S3 in Quali! Looks like my analysis of the S3 was right!