2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

f1rules wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 21:14

Amazing how far we have come for a car that has been blasted for having "empty" sidepods the last couple of years. Well done Zak! =D>

mwillems

I wonder if the break clause in the petrobras contract works by either a notice period or a break clause at the end of a season. Might we see the brand until the end of the year? It's possible the money for the remainder of the season already been paid.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

JRindt

izzy wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 22:14

yes that's what i read. Must admit my mind went a bit blank reading this bit and i'd forgotten! Where do the losses occur? isn't it all AC? also it's not a great sign is it, in terms of Renault staying in F1 and winning eventually, with apparently outsourcing everything at Viry too. And it's the kind of thing McLaren would know
By AC, do you mean alternating current?
I’d imagine the turbo losses occur while converting mechanical/thermal energy into electrical energy, in addition to the frictional losses. I think the turbo performs the twin functions of energy conversion and air compression (not sure of this entirely).
I have a hard time wrapping my head around these concepts too, and I’m a mechanical engineer :lol:

Lucky

-This change of concept in the car by 2020, is it eye catching?
- No, perhaps it has been exaggerated by what supposes a change of concept, that is a very striking news. I have seen the car next year and it has important changes, but nothing that says we have made a Mercedes or a Red Bull is still a McLaren.
https://as.com/motor/2019/10/24/formula ... 54759.html

izzy

JRindt wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 03:10
I’d imagine the turbo losses occur while converting mechanical/thermal energy into electrical energy, in addition to the frictional losses. I think the turbo performs the twin functions of energy conversion and air compression (not sure of this entirely).
I have a hard time wrapping my head around these concepts too, and I’m a mechanical engineer :lol:
Yes i was thinking on the electric side losses are mainly converting to and from DC, but like you i only have a vague idea about this loop MPH was going on about, through the CE

diffuser

JRindt wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 03:10
izzy wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 22:14

yes that's what i read. Must admit my mind went a bit blank reading this bit and i'd forgotten! Where do the losses occur? isn't it all AC? also it's not a great sign is it, in terms of Renault staying in F1 and winning eventually, with apparently outsourcing everything at Viry too. And it's the kind of thing McLaren would know
The exhaust spins the turbine that spins the compressor. The regulations specify that along the same axle of the compressor/turbine you place the MGU-H. Therefore as the turbine spins the compressor, it also spins the MGU-H. When the the MGU-H is spun it generates electricity. As most generators they double as electrical motors. So if you apply electricity to the MGU-H, it will spin and therefore the MGU-H can be used to spin up the turbo to prevent Turbo lag.

Darth-Piekus

Did they bring anything new updates for this Grand Prix?

Ground Effect

Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 21:29
Did they bring anything new updates for this Grand Prix?
I read on the autosport forum diffuser and engine cover have been updated.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

martinbeiker

Thoughts on pace so far?

godlameroso

Best of the rest. McLaren is in good hands with Sainz.
Saishū kōnā

charliesmithhd

godlameroso wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 22:46
Best of the rest.
Toro Rosso?

Ground Effect

charliesmithhd wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 22:47
godlameroso wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 22:46
Best of the rest.
Toro Rosso?
They’re looking mighty impressive.They actually look like they’ve joined the top 3 and made it a top 4... so I guess. McLaren is still best of the rest. :)
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

Somewhat disappointed with Lando's progress though. I expected him to be snapping at Sainz heels by now, but he is still a class above Lando.
Not that he is doing a bad job or anything, he is still worth hie seat, just my expectations from early season have not come to fruit
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:Somewhat disappointed with Lando's progress though. I expected him to be snapping at Sainz heels by now, but he is still a class above Lando.
Not that he is doing a bad job or anything, he is still worth hie seat, just my expectations from early season have not come to fruit
It’s still practice and with drivers having to get comfortable to lack of the downforce at Mexico, probably taking it slow and building up... Wouldn’t be the first time this season that Norris starts slow in Practice and it’s on pace in Qualy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trinidefender

During the long runs it was displayed on a graphic of I think Sainz, did a stint of laps at 121.6 using the medium tyre. Seems competitive on race pace but lacking on unlocking one lap pace on the sorts.

Seems every team is struggling to get tyre temperature though with drivers suffering from graining up and down the grid.