2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
Mattchu wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 14:39
diffuser wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 21:33

agreed both need improvement. Standing pat is falling behind ...
Is that Postman Pats brother :-P

I think McLaren will do okay next year, from the video posted earlier in the thread they certainly seem to have a very happy team without the huge pressure that McLaren used to face. A happy team usually makes for a good team, hopefully a couple of podiums next year and not just best of the rest...

So I don't think it's a given that they have a good year next year. All the changes that Brown made are going into effect for 2020. Really the 2019 car was designed by Pat Fry and whoever was not canned at team McLaren.

2020 is a pivotal year. it is the first test for this new team. On top of that, you never know what other teams are doing, till they put it on the track.

So hopeful but cautious for me.
That’s a very sensible statement and couldn’t agree more with it... We need to keep expectations in check for next year.

This year’s car was indeed an improvement over the last one and it was to be expected that the delta on times in the second part of the season was going to grow exponentially since the team stopped development of the MCL33 around the summer time, while this car is still been developed (although at an smaller pace than at the beginning of the season).

Next year’s progress will also depend a lot on what the other teams do, nevertheless there is more room for Mclaren to make strides since it’s clear there is still more than a second to find on “a car”, law of diminishing returns should make it a bit harder for the top teams to find a lot of time for next season, although with their resources, they may surprised more than one.

The only positive that I can see facing next year is that the team understands clearly what they are missing on the car and they haven’t been chasing answers to the issues this year (which drains resources)... Knowing what needs to be improve, should allow them to focus on solving those issues and continue to move forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JRindt

diffuser wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 20:34

relax Frankie and go to Hollywood.

Both Ferrari and Merc have confirmed , they are going nowhere.
Afaik no one except Renault (who have a contract to be in F1 till 2024) have exactly confirmed to be in F1 beyond 2020. I know that doesn’t matter much for careerist teams like Ferrari and McLaren. But, I doubt we can say the same about Mercs with any certainty.
Or maybe it’s just posturing for concessions in the financial and sporting regulations

To be fair, a lot of F1 stories are Hollywoodesque. Hence, the Netflix’s Drive to survive :D

Ground Effect

Who is McLaren’s Engineering Director?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

_cerber1

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 12:31
James Key

Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 12:44
Ground Effect wrote:
James Key
OK, so he’s doubling as Technical Director and Engineering Director?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

_cerber1

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 13:28
OK, so he’s doubling as Technical Director and Engineering Director?
On the McLaren website, he is listed as TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, McLAREN F1.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/james-key/

RonDennis

diffuser wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 20:40
Mattchu wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 14:39
diffuser wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 21:33

agreed both need improvement. Standing pat is falling behind ...
Is that Postman Pats brother :-P

I think McLaren will do okay next year, from the video posted earlier in the thread they certainly seem to have a very happy team without the huge pressure that McLaren used to face. A happy team usually makes for a good team, hopefully a couple of podiums next year and not just best of the rest...

So I don't think it's a given that they have a good year next year. All the changes that Brown made are going into effect for 2020. Really the 2019 car was designed by Pat Fry and whoever was not canned at team McLaren.

2020 is a pivotal year. it is the first test for this new team. On top of that, you never know what other teams are doing, till they put it on the track.

So hopeful but cautious for me.
Well, it's not like Pat Fry designed the car himself. The updates brought McLaren where they are now. It was also a bit easier for McLaren to improve massively considering the miscalculatings they made the year before.

kfrantzios

Ground Effect wrote:
Noone. The last "Engineering Director" was Pat Fry. The role of Engineering Director is no longer part of the management scheme.

f1rules

they have a production director as mentioned by Seidl recently, i quess thats a similar position. About this years car, Fry and Stella was specifically mentioned by Zak on more then one occation. Next year will be REALLY interesting if Key has what it takes!

Seidl wanted to make it simpler and more clearly defined. “I like to have a simple traditional motorsport organisation,” he says. Key heads up engineering, while Seidl promoted Piers Thynne to Production Director.

M840TR

f1rules wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 14:37
they have a production director as mentioned by Seidl recently, i quess thats a similar position. About this years car, Fry and Stella was specifically mentioned by Zak on more then one occation. Next year will be REALLY interesting if Key has what it takes!

Seidl wanted to make it simpler and more clearly defined. “I like to have a simple traditional motorsport organisation,” he says. Key heads up engineering, while Seidl promoted Piers Thynne to Production Director.
Production is entirely different from engineering which is part of the design process. Stella is the performance director so he defines the specific targets meant to be achieved for the car in this context. As technical director Key has his prerogative in all aspects of the technical proceedings but if engineering is his forte they might've omitted the dedicated role due to this.

f1rules

ok, i was unsure,

mclaren111

_cerber1

We look carefully at the workouts, the novelties of 2020 are expected.

https://www.thebestf1.es/lo-prueba-mcla ... oche-2020/

SmallSoldier

_cerber1 wrote:We look carefully at the workouts, the novelties of 2020 are expected.

https://www.thebestf1.es/lo-prueba-mcla ... oche-2020/
I’m sure every team is developing towards 2020 at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk