2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Seeing MAHA Energy displayed on the inside of the HALO during FP. Haven't seen it before, I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything linking McLaren and MAHA Energy.

https://www.reuters.com/companies/MAHAa.ST

Nothing on the McLaren Racing partners page either.
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners/

mclaren111

diffuser

Not a real big fan of the contents of that article. He was never asked about how starting on different tires affects our perception of McLaren's race pace. Nor how many mistakes he makes per lap. Going in to hot or wide into a corner is gonna use up more tire. If he's doing it twice a lap and someone else 3 times a lap it's gonna make a difference.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 18:08
Not a real big fan of the contents of that article. He was never asked about how starting on different tires affects our perception of McLaren's race pace. Nor how many mistakes he makes per lap. Going in to hot or wide into a corner is gonna use up more tire. If he's doing it twice a lap and someone else 3 times a lap it's gonna make a difference.
Even if the pace differential was due to mistakes it wouldn't be as bad as it currently is because the problem emanates from the qualifying pace not translating into the race. I guess he wasn't asked that question because the premise was already established accordingly from the outset.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

About the statements that McLaren can sacrifice some qualy speed for better race pace, is this because of pure setup direction? I mean after Q1, parc ferme conditions apply right? So u are forced to use that very setup for the rest of qualifying and for the race (with small changes like front wing angles)? If so, it's understandable.

Xero

Unfortunate for Carlos! Must say, reliability has been pretty strong in the second half of the season. Be as well taking on a new unit now for here and the last race.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Or possibly not sacrificing tyre strategy like they have a couple of times when the soft has clearly been a bad tyre to start on.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 18:19
diffuser wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 18:08
Even if the pace differential was due to mistakes it wouldn't be as bad as it currently is because the problem emanates from the qualifying pace not translating into the race. I guess he wasn't asked that question because the premise was already established accordingly from the outset.
I just used "the mistakes" as a example but race's vary every time out. So there are a ton of differences between each driver's lap. In my opinion, there isn't a race pace deficit. It just that they normally start further ahead and on used Softs while Renault start on New Medium or Hards in 11th or 12th.

_cerber1

Carlos needs to take a new engine, since the start from the last row. Lando, can recoup due to strategy.

hollus

That’s going to be an awesome engine in Carlos’ car for this race and the next. Shiny new everything needing to last only 700Km.
Rivals, not enemies.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

hollus wrote:That’s going to be an awesome engine in Carlos’ car for this race and the next. Shiny new everything needing to last only 700Km.
That could be a big advantage for the last race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 02:09
hollus wrote:That’s going to be an awesome engine in Carlos’ car for this race and the next. Shiny new everything needing to last only 700Km.
That could be a big advantage for the last race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, for Brazil...it isn't much of a power track.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 21:35
Carlos needs to take a new engine, since the start from the last row. Lando, can recoup due to strategy.
True, but if his current engine problem is something that can be rectified and pose little or no risk, why take a new engine for the last 2 races? Seems like an expensive decision, if it’s not necessary. 4th place is secure, so focus should be fully on 2020 and save cost on anything not related to next year and development.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Andres125sx

Ground Effect wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 11:44
_cerber1 wrote:
True, but if his current engine problem is something that can be rectified and pose little or no risk, why take a new engine for the last 2 races? Seems like an expensive decision, if it’s not necessary. 4th place is secure, so focus should be fully on 2020 and save cost on anything not related to next year and development.
If they need to build a PU for this, agree, but I´d say they must have some spare PU just in case some fail and they need a replacement, so if the PU is already built, why not using it? In next GP wich is last GP it will become obsolete and useless so I see no reason to use a new PU for this and last race if we assume they have some spare

proteus

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 13:08
Ground Effect wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 11:44
_cerber1 wrote:
If they need to build a PU for this, agree, but I´d say they must have some spare PU just in case some fail and they need a replacement, so if the PU is already built, why not using it? In next GP wich is last GP it will become obsolete and useless so I see no reason to use a new PU for this and last race if we assume they have some spare
As far as my knowlidge goes, new engine is not costing Mclaren nothing. It is a burden of Renault. Supply contract means 4 working engines, every failure is on suppliers expense, since their hardware has failed.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows