2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
marmer
34
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:48 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by marmer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:40 pm

With how the race turned out I am not surprised we didn't see him much. I am guessing he made most of his progress up the grid by passing slower cars quickly like the Williams then getting lucky on strategy with the safety cars. You can't complain about not seeing his race when it wasn't until after the race we found out he finished 3rd.

Under normal circumstances he would have only finished 5th with just gasley Infront of him good but not shocking. Take the 3 dnf out and 8th doesn't sound epic either just ok decent strategy

Andres125sx
316
User avatar
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Andres125sx » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:55 am

marmer wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:40 pm
With how the race turned out I am not surprised we didn't see him much. I am guessing he made most of his progress up the grid by passing slower cars quickly like the Williams then getting lucky on strategy with the safety cars. You can't complain about not seeing his race when it wasn't until after the race we found out he finished 3rd.

Under normal circumstances he would have only finished 5th with just gasley Infront of him good but not shocking. Take the 3 dnf out and 8th doesn't sound epic either just ok decent strategy
Luckily racing is not always under normal circumstances, there are problems, accidents, rain, wind, mechanical failures, etc. and making the most of those unexpected situations is part of the job of F1 drivers and teams

Without unexpected situations Vettel would have never won with STR, and Senna would have never won with Lotus.

But there were unexpected situations, and now those are considered one of the most exciting moments in F1 history :wink:

FittingMechanics
39
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:10 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by FittingMechanics » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:22 am

marmer wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:40 pm
With how the race turned out I am not surprised we didn't see him much. I am guessing he made most of his progress up the grid by passing slower cars quickly like the Williams then getting lucky on strategy with the safety cars. You can't complain about not seeing his race when it wasn't until after the race we found out he finished 3rd.

Under normal circumstances he would have only finished 5th with just gasley Infront of him good but not shocking. Take the 3 dnf out and 8th doesn't sound epic either just ok decent strategy
I really disagree with the idea that Sainz got lucky. In fact it could be said that it is the opposite. When you are doing one stopper, having a safety car that allows two stoppers to get on your back is not being lucky, it's the opposite. Sainz not only wasn't lucky with the safety car, he had to defend on safety car restart twice and one of those times was at the end of the race when his tires were at their worst.

Sainz would have been lucky if he managed to do his only stop during the safety car period (something which didn't happen). For example, Norris was lucky as he was unable to do one stopper, so he opted to pit for fresh tires during the safety car, without the safety car Norris probably wouldn't be in the points.

Sainz was as lucky as anyone else in the midfield by having two Ferrari's take each other out, Bottas blow an engine and Albon/Hamilton colliding.

This is why I think that this podium is an incredible achievement, it wasn't lucky gamble with softs in Germany, it wasn't a lucky safety car that saved you 20 seconds in the pitstop, it was a hard fought battle with his single pitstop done during green flag conditions which allowed him to get a P3 after 5 drivers from top 3 teams fell back.

bauc
71
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am
Location: Skopje, Macedonia

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by bauc » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:41 am

Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Jambier
4
User avatar
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am
Location: France

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Jambier » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:36 am

I want to see more of that [-o<

Image

Finally this year, one podium for McLaren (and two for Toro Rosso).

Never thought it was possible at the start of the season!

thestig84
0
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by thestig84 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:29 am

marmer wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:40 pm
With how the race turned out I am not surprised we didn't see him much. I am guessing he made most of his progress up the grid by passing slower cars quickly like the Williams then getting lucky on strategy with the safety cars. You can't complain about not seeing his race when it wasn't until after the race we found out he finished 3rd.

Under normal circumstances he would have only finished 5th with just gasley Infront of him good but not shocking. Take the 3 dnf out and 8th doesn't sound epic either just ok decent strategy
I'm not having that, it was a great drive. We have missed his moves all year. Even without live timing you can see the gaps on the side bar less than 0.5 sec on an upward trajectory and still they never show him. On this occasion good passes on Kvyat, Hulk, Perez (amazingly the showed a replay of this!) Stroll and Grosjean. I know a couple of them clashed with other action but a couple didnt and there is always time for a replay. They show race start replays on lap 3 no matter what action. We had saftey car trundling around...why not show some then.

McG
8
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by McG » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:17 pm

Jesus Christ all the arguing about if the podium was deserved is absolutely pointless. I know it's a discussion forum but come on.

2 simple things that should be very easy to understand in a microsecond...

1. "Anything happens in Grand Prix racing, and it usually does."

2. No it wasn't on merit, not even close. See 1.


Happy for the team though. More that they beat Renault this season.

RonDennis
41
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by RonDennis » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 pm

Nice for Sainz and the team, but personally I don't care much about since it wasn't based on pure pace.

ivanlesk
11
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by ivanlesk » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:36 pm

RonDennis wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 pm
Nice for Sainz and the team, but personally I don't care much about since it wasn't based on pure pace.
It means a lot for team. It's a good reword for hard work and motivation to go further. As a big fan you say you are, you should probably care a little bit more.

mwillems
22
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by mwillems » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:42 pm

ivanlesk wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:36 pm
RonDennis wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 pm
Nice for Sainz and the team, but personally I don't care much about since it wasn't based on pure pace.
It means a lot for team. It's a good reword for hard work and motivation to go further. As a big fan you say you are, you should probably care a little bit more.
Yeah I agree, the fact that they are the team best placed to take advantages of crashes in the top 3, it gives them a taste of what is just one step away. I'd say that is a good motivation.
Plus, we won't hear that "The last time Mclaren were on the podium was...." line.

But next year is a whole new kettle of fish, maybe the car will go backwards, or other teams find more time. Nothing can be taken for granted and we have a whole new journey to endure/enjoy.

Big Tea
69
User avatar
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Big Tea » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm

To gain from others misfortunes, you have to be there, and able
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

SmallSoldier
85
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by SmallSoldier » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:12 pm

ivanlesk wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 pm
Nice for Sainz and the team, but personally I don't care much about since it wasn't based on pure pace.
It means a lot for team. It's a good reword for hard work and motivation to go further. As a big fan you say you are, you should probably care a little bit more.
Why though? He has a very valid point... It is nice for the team, nice for Sainz... But the team hasn’t joined the Top 3 in terms of performance... As a matter of fact, they haven’t clearly lead the midfield in terms of performance (they are clearly 4th best “all around” team... But they are not comfortably getting P7-P8 in Qualifying and the race).

As a fan, I will support the team in the good times and the bad times, but that doesn’t mean that I’m happy with their performance... The challenge is to get on the podium based on pace or on it’s own merit, that would be fantastic... Getting there thanks to several external factors (and in Brazil there were a lot of them) isn’t something to be overly excited about (to put things in perspective, they were beaten by a Toro Rosso).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andres125sx
316
User avatar
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Andres125sx » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:43 pm

Must see, both McLaren drivers radios :mrgreen: and many others btw

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... NvLkY.html

Andres125sx
316
User avatar
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Andres125sx » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:56 pm

RonDennis wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 pm
Nice for Sainz and the team, but personally I don't care much about since it wasn't based on pure pace.
You can´t go from not even close to the podium to be a real podium contender in a season, first you need to be the next one in the list, and that will bring podiums at cahotic races like this.

I can´t understand your lack of pasion sincerely, this is a prize to the hard work of the team wich proves they´re going in the right direction. Contrary to you I think after some painful years this podium should be considered almost as a victory, to encourage the whole team even more to keep working as hard or even more. And also to keep fans motivated, now we can genuinely dream with podiums, any reason this can´t be repeated at any other GP? :mrgreen:


Now imagine if Sainz start p7 instead of p20 :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Andres125sx on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ground Effect
100
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Ground Effect » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:57 pm

SmallSoldier wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:12 pm
ivanlesk wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 pm
Nice for Sainz and the team, but personally I don't care much about since it wasn't based on pure pace.
It means a lot for team. It's a good reword for hard work and motivation to go further. As a big fan you say you are, you should probably care a little bit more.
Why though? He has a very valid point... It is nice for the team, nice for Sainz... But the team hasn’t joined the Top 3 in terms of performance... As a matter of fact, they haven’t clearly lead the midfield in terms of performance (they are clearly 4th best “all around” team... But they are not comfortably getting P7-P8 in Qualifying and the race).

As a fan, I will support the team in the good times and the bad times, but that doesn’t mean that I’m happy with their performance... The challenge is to get on the podium based on pace or on it’s own merit, that would be fantastic... Getting there thanks to several external factors (and in Brazil there were a lot of them) isn’t something to be overly excited about (to put things in perspective, they were beaten by a Toro Rosso).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think we should all remember that the name, McLaren is worth zero tenths in performance. Where they are today is down to a lot of hard work by several men and women, some of whom never experienced the success of the McLaren of old, so this is a big moment for them. We all want them to return to the glory days, competing for wins and podiums on their merit. But before they get back there, it’ll take hard work, but it’s also taken hard work to get where they are now. Carlos started 20th, behind everyone. He ended up beating both Racing Points, both Renaults, both Alfa’s, both Haas cars and one STR. If in 4 years of Alonso they didn’t get a single podium, then this ought to be celebrated. Remember Lotus, Brabham, Tyrrell....
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.