2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

ispano6 is an aggressive Honda fan, he is very offended by McLaren, he displays all the achievements of the team in black. Just ignore him.

ispano6

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 21:08
ispano6 wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 20:54
Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 20:34
The Sleeping Giant is slowly starting to wake. Secured 4th Place with almost 50 points from the 5th team and Carlos beat both Albon that had a superior car and Gasly for the 6th place. Now let's see if the new aerodynamic team is a team of wizards as they say. Let's see how fast can we close that gap.
Sainz got super lucky with Stroll taking out Gasly, and Albon should have been clear of Sainz by plenty if it weren't for Hamilton taking him out in Brazil.
“Sainz got super lucky” new to F1? It’s a 21 race calendar, not 2. If Gasly couldn’t lockdown 6th in the Championship after 12 races in a Red Bull, then he doesn’t deserve it. Albon had 9 races in a Red Bull, more than enough as well, considering Sainz scored zero points in the first 3 races after the summer break.
New to F1? No a veteran, since 1986. Please don't give me that bullshit. Albon finished the race well ahead of Sainz. Sainz barely squeezed by in 10th. Albon had a PODIUM ROBBED FROM HIM. DID YOU FORGET THAT?

Ground Effect

ispano6 wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 21:16
Ground Effect wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

Sainz got super lucky with Stroll taking out Gasly, and Albon should have been clear of Sainz by plenty if it weren't for Hamilton taking him out in Brazil.
“Sainz got super lucky” new to F1? It’s a 21 race calendar, not 2. If Gasly couldn’t lockdown 6th in the Championship after 12 races in a Red Bull, then he doesn’t deserve it. Albon had 9 races in a Red Bull, more than enough as well, considering Sainz scored zero points in the first 3 races after the summer break.
New to F1? No a veteran, since 1986. Please don't give me that bullshit. Albon finished the race well ahead of Sainz. Sainz barely squeezed by in 10th. Albon had a PODIUM ROBBED FROM HIM. DID YOU FORGET THAT?
Don’t get me wrong, Albon is a great prospect, bright future ahead. But where exactly was he before he got strapped into the Red Bull? He wasn’t beating Lando, he wasn’t even beating his team mate! If they had swapped Carlos into the Red Bull from Spa, I’m pretty sure he would end every race he finished well ahead of the midfield cars.
Anyways, pundits, ex drivers journalists and most people directly involved in F1 has rated Sainz as among the top drivers of the season. But I guess they don’t know what they’re talking about.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

I am watching Formula 1 since 1984 so I am more of a Veteran than you. Sainz has lost so many points this year by what do you know the Kamikaze Red Bull and Torro Rosso drivers and of course from unexpected hydravlic issues. Norris also lost a lot more which could have taken points from both Albon and Gasly. Finally as someone said above both Gasly and Albon had a car that was 1 second faster in race pace and they still failed to finish in front and could have finished behind with a greater difference in points. You can call about luck in perhaps 1 or two races but when something happens in almost a whole season that is not luck anymore. Gasly was demoted to Torro Rosso because he couldn't deliver as good as Verstappen and Albon didn't do much better. It's time to admit that Sainz and Mclaren did a better job this time and of course Mclaren Renault gathered more points this year than all the Mclaren Honda 3 year period.

kfrantzios

_cerber1 wrote:ispano6 is an aggressive Honda fan, he is very offended by McLaren, he displays all the achievements of the team in black. Just ignore him.
I really feel sorry for these people. Honda is 21st in the all time standings for most wins as a team, and 6th as an engine supplier. I get it that some people favor the underdog, but please do that in the Honda threads.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Darth-Piekus

Honda was very good back in the 80s when they first joined Mclaren. However from back then they haven't done anything significant. Maybe they might again one day but they are at the moment far from it.

McL-H

Let’s keep a positive atmosphere. We secured 4th in the WCC by a mile. Sainz finished 6th and got the team their first trophy since 2014. How? I honestly don’t care. All I care about is that this was the first season in 6-7 years that I could truly enjoy as a McLaren fan. And by looking at this thread all year, many of us enjoyed watching the team progress forward after many rough years!

kfrantzios

Well by the current regulations, the engines will converge and when the FIA mandates development freeze on on engine components, the results will be 95% chassis. If RB dominates the 2021 rule changes, Honda fans will go berserk...

kfrantzios

McL-H wrote:Let’s keep a positive atmosphere. We secured 4th in the WCC by a mile. Sainz finished 6th and got the team their first trophy since 2014. How? I honestly don’t care. All I care about is that this was the first season in 6-7 years that I could truly enjoy as a McLaren fan. And by looking at this thread all year, many of us enjoyed watching the team progress forward after many rough years!
Second that

willmesquita

ispano6 wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

It's even more sad...a veteran saying things like that.

GO SAINZ! GO McLAREN!

Great Season!
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

mwillems

ispano6 wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

It's a 21 race season and the table reflects every result, so it's not what I'd call lucky, by any stretch of the imagination. He and the team did well. Obviously if Gasly had stayed in the Red Bull for the full season it might be different, but they changed and it worked out well for us. It's hard work, not luck.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

ispano6 wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

Let's not talk shiit.... we all know what is meant by lucky in both cases. Aka if it wasn't for a double red retirement, nobody would have been there. So lucky from that perspective. Earned from you have to be there to pickup the spoils..

Mansell89

McLaren heading into the 2020s has had a facelift that was probably long overdue.

A fresh approach to commerciality, some fantastic personnel acquisitions and at the rig end of their careers (Key and Seidl, Sainz and Norris) and a team prepared to look themselves in the mirror when they get it wrong.

Humble, progressive, and hungry.

Bring it on.

Xero

I guess now is as good a time as any to reflect on the season as a whole.

Before the season started I think we all hoped (and expected) decent progress to be made. Finishing 4th in the constructors seemed like a realistic target, with Renault's 122 points from 2018 setting a good benchmark to reach. Minus a minority expecting too much too quick, it felt like that would be good step towards the front.

With pre-season suggesting it would be a challenge due to the single lap pace Haas showed, the race stints looked decent. Despite the vast majority of the media ignoring that data, and with some even pinning them to be 2nd last, it was clear we were in the mix of it.

Despite a difficult opening Australian GP the team bounced back at Bahrain with some genuine pace. We had some horrible luck with retirements, and more difficulties at the Chinese GP highlighting the cars weaknesses. But again we bounced back at Baku, showing just how efficient the aero package had become, giving the team an excellent result, and one that would pave the way for the start of the European season. They began to get on top of the the cars front end issues, and up until the break strung together a fantastic run of results. A couple of forgettable races at Spa and Monza after the break were quickly put behind us at Russia and Japan with some real exciting pace that allowed us to mix it with the boys at the front, however brief it was. The team were rewarded for their efforts with an unthinkable podium finish, the cherry on top of a wonderful season.

So they've ended the season with 145 points, landing them 4th in the constructors, 6th in the drivers with Carlos, and a trophy to boot. Could not be any happier with the season as a whole, and it certainly exceeded all my expectations! It's been such a pleasure to see the team grow with an incredible chemistry that will undoubtedly breed hunger, drive and success moving forward. Full credit to Zak for making the changes needed, it's obvious to see they're working, and in Seidl we have a top man steering the ship.

So what do we think for next season? There's still a fairly large gap to the front guys, and I think it's fair to say we haven't cleared the midfield yet. I guess the natural step would be to fall somewhere in that gap, and perhaps pick up a couple of podiums next year when the chances arrive? If we're consistently ahead of the midfield in that gap we should smash past the 200 point barrier, so perhaps that's a sensible target. At certain races where it suits the car (whatever that may be) perhaps mix it with the front runners more often and get them looking over their shoulder? I guess that's my hope for next season, to have the front 3 say "we need to keep one eye on the McLarens."

Darth-Piekus

Xero wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 00:49
I guess now is as good a time as any to reflect on the season as a whole.

Before the season started I think we all hoped (and expected) decent progress to be made. Finishing 4th in the constructors seemed like a realistic target, with Renault's 122 points from 2018 setting a good benchmark to reach. Minus a minority expecting too much too quick, it felt like that would be good step towards the front.

With pre-season suggesting it would be a challenge due to the single lap pace Haas showed, the race stints looked decent. Despite the vast majority of the media ignoring that data, and with some even pinning them to be 2nd last, it was clear we were in the mix of it.

Despite a difficult opening Australian GP the team bounced back at Bahrain with some genuine pace. We had some horrible luck with retirements, and more difficulties at the Chinese GP highlighting the cars weaknesses. But again we bounced back at Baku, showing just how efficient the aero package had become, giving the team an excellent result, and one that would pave the way for the start of the European season. They began to get on top of the the cars front end issues, and up until the break strung together a fantastic run of results. A couple of forgettable races at Spa and Monza after the break were quickly put behind us at Russia and Japan with some real exciting pace that allowed us to mix it with the boys at the front, however brief it was. The team were rewarded for their efforts with an unthinkable podium finish, the cherry on top of a wonderful season.

So they've ended the season with 145 points, landing them 4th in the constructors, 6th in the drivers with Carlos, and a trophy to boot. Could not be any happier with the season as a whole, and it certainly exceeded all my expectations! It's been such a pleasure to see the team grow with an incredible chemistry that will undoubtedly breed hunger, drive and success moving forward. Full credit to Zak for making the changes needed, it's obvious to see they're working, and in Seidl we have a top man steering the ship.

So what do we think for next season? There's still a fairly large gap to the front guys, and I think it's fair to say we haven't cleared the midfield yet. I guess the natural step would be to fall somewhere in that gap, and perhaps pick up a couple of podiums next year when the chances arrive? If we're consistently ahead of the midfield in that gap we should smash past the 200 point barrier, so perhaps that's a sensible target. At certain races where it suits the car (whatever that may be) perhaps mix it with the front runners more often and get them looking over their shoulder? I guess that's my hope for next season, to have the front 3 say "we need to keep one eye on the McLarens."
This whole thing reminds me when Mclaren got Mercedes Engines for the first time in 1995. They were like 4th two years in a row then in 1997 they were 4th but got some victories and then bam 1998 and total dominance after building the last 3 seasons their team getting Andrian Newey from Williams and some other great names. The situation is now similar. Last year they didn't do much but they started rebuilding the team which continued this year. I believe next year they will challenge for podiums and that also might include some race wins if they keep progressing like this.