2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I have to admit, I’ve never watched any other teams version of what McLaren produce as unboxed, or any other promotional video content. So I’m in no position to say whether McLaren did the best job or not. But I thoroughly enjoyed virtually everything McLaren put out this year. Be it the unboxed series, interviews etc, the media people did such a good job of bringing the team closer to the fans. I know a few people who followed F1 for individual drivers, who became McLaren fans because of the chemistry between Lando and Carlos, as well as the engaging videos. Well done to the media/PR teams, they made the journey on the road to recovery very enjoyable.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ScottR267

So two of McLaren’s sponsors have now left the team in SAP and Kenwood. Both seem to have been with the team for some time now- last of the bunch from the last decade to 15 years! Surprised SAP are no longer especially as I read that Zak said no sponsors were to leave the team.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

M840TR

$50 million from BAT with higher commitment for 2020. If it leads to $75 million deal then that's basically a Vodafone level deal. No wonder they called it 'principle partnership.

RonDennis

M840TR wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 12:11
$50 million from BAT with higher commitment for 2020. If it leads to $75 million deal then that's basically a Vodafone level deal. No wonder they called it 'principle partnership.
I highly doubt it's $50 million. These figures are incorrect most of the time.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/11/29/mcl ... l-in-2020/

Funny how they now claim $50 million, while they recently talked about over $20 million.

RaceFans understands the deal, worth over $20 million, will not involve title sponsorship of the team. McLaren is to retain the papaya orange colour it reintroduced last season.

diffuser

the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 18:30
So he takes EB's old title? Don't remember...
I believe it’s explained far better here...

“ The racing director role had previously been occupied by Frenchman Eric Boullier as a de facto team boss before his departure in July 2018 as part of a major restructuring aimed at halting the team's slide down the rankings.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50977329

Xero

ScottR267 wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 21:14
So two of McLaren’s sponsors have now left the team in SAP and Kenwood. Both seem to have been with the team for some time now- last of the bunch from the last decade to 15 years! Surprised SAP are no longer especially as I read that Zak said no sponsors were to leave the team.
SAP are still partners with MTG, just not directly with the F1 team. That sponsorship part has now moved on to the Mercedes FE team.

Edit: I wonder if we'll see them back on the car next season when we switch to Mercedes, being a German brand and all?

ScottR267

Xero wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 18:39
ScottR267 wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 21:14
SAP are still partners with MTG, just not directly with the F1 team. That sponsorship part has now moved on to the Mercedes FE team.

Edit: I wonder if we'll see them back on the car next season when we switch to Mercedes, being a German brand and all?
If they’re no longer a sponsor of the F1 side of things for McLaren, I cannot see them returning in 21 when the team moves to Mercedes engines! Anyone heard any new sponsor rumours? Coca-cola still listed as a sponsor despite only signing for 2019 for the year only, hopefully this is an expanded deal

Avocado

Seidl:

"I'm really happy that I have this freedom to put my vision in place and bring my leadership style in and having the full support from Zak and the shareholders to put in place what I think we need in order to get back to the front in Formula 1."

"So we have a clear plan of how we want to update our infrastructure."

"We have a clear plan also how we want to organise the team in the future so we have everything we need."

"Now we really can simply focus on ourselves, it's just down to us now as a team to make it happen. It's a good situation to be in."

=D>

proteus

RonDennis wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 17:27
M840TR wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 12:11
I highly doubt it's $50 million. These figures are incorrect most of the time.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/11/29/mcl ... l-in-2020/

Funny how they now claim $50 million, while they recently talked about over $20 million.

RaceFans understands the deal, worth over $20 million, will not involve title sponsorship of the team. McLaren is to retain the papaya orange colour it reintroduced last season.
These sponsor contracts are allways complex and filled with bonuses for different agreements which both companies sign. We must take into an account that BAT changed their exposure many times during the season, sometimes not being present at all, then being as a second sponsor (while the main space was empty), and then taking the main place with their various brands such as Vype and so on. Now the question is if they have paid more for that race weekend where they showed their logo on the sidepods, or were they just substituting for the time when Couche Tard and Seven Eleven took the space due to the politics. If bigger numbers were paid for greater exposure + good season target with 4th in WCC, then 50 million dollars might be close to what they gave in the end. Ofcourse noone knows for sure, except for Mclaren and BAT.

Eitherway, if the deal was actually worth 20-30 million, maybe this season they increase it to 50. All and all, Zak did good enough job to secure BAT in the first place.

For the sake of the team i really hope he manages to pull something out of his hat to replace Petrobras and SAP. Kenwood is allredy been taken care of with a substitute if im am not mistaken.

The only thing that makes me worried is that all long-lasting partners of Mclaren which were on the car 10+ years are leaving the team. Its all well and good, if they manage to substitute them with new brands, but problems arise because this new brands are not necessarely loyal enough to stay with the team for long term.

Arrow could be a future title sponsor in a disguise, but i personaly dont know if they are big enough as a company to finance Mclaren with a title deal.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mclaren111

Arrow is quite big... The potential is there...
Full-Year Results - 2018

Full-year 2018 sales of $29.68 billion increased 12 percent from sales of $26.55 billion in 2017. Net income for 2018 was $716 million, or $8.10 per share on a diluted basis, compared with net income of $402 million, or $4.48 per share on a diluted basis, in 2017. Excluding certain items1, net income would have been $781 million, or $8.83 per share on a diluted basis, in 2018 compared with net income of $674 million, or $7.51 per share on a diluted basis, in 2017. In 2018, changes in foreign currencies had positive impacts on growth of approximately $252 million, or 1 percent on sales, and $.06, or 1 percent, on earnings per share on a diluted basis compared to 2017.

_cerber1

RonDennis

MCL35. 8)