2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

GoranF1 wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 10:04
Zero mention of Prodrumou in latest Zak Brown interview, he did mention Fry and Key.
From what I've seen, the interviews are based around the restructuring, which of course involves the new hires, Pat, Andreas, Key, Sainz, Norris etc. Prod isn't new, his job hasn't changed, so basically no need to reference him. Hopefully, he's giving it his best shot.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR

As we countdown to the #MCL34 launch, take a sneak peek at some of the styling that you'll see on our 2019 contender.
https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/10 ... 0311932934

BassVirolla

Great news that huge logo in the rear wing. Zak is doing a great job. =D>

PhillipM

If that's not just a mockup there's some interesting changes just in that bit. Looks more like a drawing someone threw together though.

RonDennis

BassVirolla wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 22:39
It wasn't posted by McLaren. Funny how Brown talked about various sponsors, while there were only 2 and they lost Chandon. Formula 1 and sponsorship not really happening at the moment to be honest. I mostly read about companies leaving the sport.

shotzski

RonDennis wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 04:14
BassVirolla wrote:
It wasn't posted by McLaren. Funny how Brown talked about various sponsors, while there were only 2 and they lost Chandon. Formula 1 and sponsorship not really happening at the moment to be honest. I mostly read about companies leaving the sport.
Maybe his goal is to get Coca Cola, together with its sub brands to replace Chandon. 1 left, another 2-3 signs in. They don't seem so worried about their sponsor portfolio at the moment

Edit: AFAIK Chandon is a sub brand of Diageo, which in turn owns Johnnie Walker, who also left for Force India due to FI's debt to its parent company. Free sponsorship for them. I guess it was not surprising Chandon would not renew their partnership with Mclaren.

ScottR267

shotzski wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 06:49
RonDennis wrote:
BassVirolla wrote:
Maybe his goal is to get Coca Cola, together with its sub brands to replace Chandon. 1 left, another 2-3 signs in. They don't seem so worried about their sponsor portfolio at the moment

Edit: AFAIK Chandon is a sub brand of Diageo, which in turn owns Johnnie Walker, who also left for Force India due to FI's debt to its parent company. Free sponsorship for them. I guess it was not surprising Chandon would not renew their partnership with Mclaren.
It’s not just Chandon that they’ve lost, but also NTT and Airgain. So if Zak has signed two new sponsors then they’ve not even replenished what they’ve lost. Also worth noting that Chandon had big exposure on the car and overalls, likely meaning they were a top paying sponsor for the team. Whilst it’s not always that simple, it looks like another year with plenty of car space.

mclaren111

I think Coca Cola is a "work in progress" that will grow over time depending on success & return on investment...

Ground Effect

ScottR267 wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 09:23
shotzski wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

It’s not just Chandon that they’ve lost, but also NTT and Airgain. So if Zak has signed two new sponsors then they’ve not even replenished what they’ve lost. Also worth noting that Chandon had big exposure on the car and overalls, likely meaning they were a top paying sponsor for the team. Whilst it’s not always that simple, it looks like another year with plenty of car space.
I guess it all depends on the value of the 1 or 2 sponsors coming on board. Imagine pulling in an amazon or apple etc for example, you could loose a couple of sponsors and still be covered. Obviously, I'm not saying they are, but Zak feels they've done a good job so far.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis

ScottR267 wrote:
shotzski wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

I wouldn't care so much about NTT and Airgain, but Chandon is probably a pretty big deal. The most important thing is how big the two deals are.

ScottR267

Ground Effect wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 09:56
ScottR267 wrote:
shotzski wrote:

I guess it all depends on the value of the 1 or 2 sponsors coming on board. Imagine pulling in an amazon or apple etc for example, you could loose a couple of sponsors and still be covered. Obviously, I'm not saying they are, but Zak feels they've done a good job so far.
That’s a fair point you make there, if they have signed 2 big sponsors monetary wise of course this will outweigh the loss of 2-3 smaller deals.

Another train of thought could Petrobras have greater exposure this year after signing last year. This year they will be providing the fuel and lubricants to McLaren and not BP/Castrol, for which I doubt BP would very much like Petrobras branded big style across the car when using their products last year. Could be wrong....

M840TR

Apparently the photo was posted by Mclaren on Facebook but deleted later, so it might be genuine; according to reddit anyway.

Here's the brightened version.

Going by this, it appears the sidepods are much smaller and the main intake much larger. Same narrow style nose but with an S-duct.

bauc

No way this is the MCL34, the car is not assembled yet for sure, this is just a paint scheme on the MCL33 although the main air intake indeed is quite huge :?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

F1NAC

M840TR wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 11:47
Apparently the photo was posted by Mclaren on Facebook but deleted later, so it might be genuine; according to reddit anyway.

https://i.redd.it/f9bvzcx3yxa21.jpg

Here's the brightened version.

https://i.imgur.com/eGJq6ke.jpg

Going by this, it appears the sidepods are much smaller and the main intake much larger. Same narrow style nose but with an S-duct.
Their graphics designer is sloppy. Look at the C on Coca Cola, extending beyond the rear flap