2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

Re: 2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

My bad. Antonini's blog is called, in Italian, "Con un Filo di Gas". Follow it and read it. Between the lines you will find a lot of information, even critical, on the Ferrari world.

timbo
timbo

tpeman wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 14:15
Seb's speed comes when he is comfortable and can trust the car. Look for example his 2015 performance and the first half of 2017. He was near perfect then. The problem with Seb (and Ferrari as well) is when things don't go according to their preliminary calculations. A driver like Hamilton for example, would start to drive in 'safe mode' and is somewhat off pace (Baku 2016, China 2018, again Baku 2018). In such a scenario, Vettel starts to push harder than possible (Baku 2018, Germany 2018, Japan 2018), thus he is almost never off pace, but is more error-prone. Really I can't think of a race, when Seb was 'slow' (safe for Silverstone 2016). What we see here aren't 'flaws', but different approaches to a certain scenario. The former being more conservative, but guarantees a points finish, the second being more passion-driven and may result in a better result, but is incredibly risky. But after all, this is what makes the show, right?
I realized something along the same lines, but with a slightly different twist maybe.

In one interview, Seb told he was concentrating extremely hard during the race. I think this is indeed so, and he probably concentrates more than some other top drivers. His driving is somehow more "mental". This is both his strength -- remember blown diff days? when he was able to go against the instinct and add more throttle when the back end started to get loose? also, being able to open up the gap in the first laps of the race, when other drivers spend time to "warm up". This leads me to believe that he is able to "fly by numbers" to a certain extent.

But it is also his weakness, because this extra concentration may lead to errors of judgment.

zibby43
zibby43

LostInTranslation wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 16:02
An interesting article on FormulaPassion.it by Alberto Antonini, formerly responsible for the communication of the Ferrari team until last season. Use some translator if you do not have a connection with Italian language. I think it's worth it.

https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... 33453.html
I remember that guy. Here's a rough translation of some of his main points:

[Note: I did not add the (oops) sections. Those are from the author.]

"I think that the engineer who, a short time ago, told me: Our machine (oops) was born with a conventional front suspension.

The "others" went with a "raised triangle" solution [guess he's talking about higher pickup points with the front wishbones, etc.]. With us (double oops), we decided that the advantages of the solution were not worth the extra weight, but, with the new regulations, there was much to exploit . . .

I think that immediately afterwards, when the machines were presented, we talked a little too much about outwash and a little too little about this matter of suspension. But I also think that, since I'm not an engineer even on Tuesdays, it's right to let people talk about it.

I believe, however, that there is, on the part of Ferrari, a significant performance disadvantage to be recovered; and I believe, unfortunately for the championship, that it will not be filled in Barcelona, with the rest of the package developments. Maybe later.

I think that in Canada we will see a new engine on the SF90, which promises well if it does not break, but I think that Mercedes will respond blow-by-blow.

I think that in Azerbaijan there was also a topic of tyre temperature (and I think I said it right away). I think these Pirelli tyres do better than the Mercedes, but they are the same for everyone and everyone has had the chance to test them for a long time, since last year."

LM10
LM10

LostInTranslation wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 17:05
LM10 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 16:37
LostInTranslation wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 16:02
An interesting article on FormulaPassion.it by Alberto Antonini, formerly responsible for the communication of the Ferrari team until last season. Use some translator if you do not have a connection with Italian language. I think it's worth it.

https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... 33453.html
So what he's telling is that Ferrari went for a conventional suspension (which isn't a new thing for them to do) and that's the issue they are having?
Of course.

Perhaps it simply has to do with the way the tires and suspension work together. "The wizard of suspensions", as Antonini calls him (Allison), flew to Brackley a few years ago.

I trust the opinion of someone who knows Ferrari team from the inside, for have been there so many years (till last season), and I invite you to follow his blog "with a thread of gas" inside FormulaPassion.
It's interesting Alberto Antonini tells that it's the conventional suspension system that makes the Ferrari struggle right now. I thought that the conventional way is the one which is not so advantageous aerodynamically, but opens more room for tyre management and set up work. Am I wrong? Wasn't this the reason Ferrari has stuck to that in recent years and also this year?

However, this year they've gone for a hydraulic heave element. Maybe this is the main thing when there is talk about suspension issues? Mercedes and RBR have been using this for a long time, but Ferrari just started. What I mean is, why should they suddenly have problems with a conventional suspension system when they have not had any until this year?

FrukostScones

Ferrari has to win the next GP. Circuit de Catalunya will be perfect conditions for the machine to work.
so I hope it won't rain... 8)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

marvin78
marvin78

Eyplain it to me: Why do they have to? Mercedes has a much better car and looks superiour in almost every part of the tracks so far. Yes they have to win, if they want to challenge them but I don't think that they have to beat the most dominant team in F1 history in general.

djones
djones

They have to win in general for many reasons. To think the business/group is happy with 2nd is crazy.

This ranges from prize money to brand advertising and reputation.

So far this season is going horrifically for them and its not bad luck as you make your own luck. The driver lineup for a
start is destined to fail and conflict. Four races in and they are 74 points behind in the championship :shock:

Capharol
Capharol

Steering wheel Vettel:

Steering Wheel Leclerc:

yelistener

Capharol wrote:
03 May 2019, 23:50
Steering wheel Vettel:
That's exactly the same as last year, except the center knob menu image is a bit different.

But I came across this image last year, and everything is in line with the real steering wheel, except the center left button is a "DRINK" button instead of "K0". Did the person created the image made a mistake or what?

Capharol
Capharol

no not quite,there is difference in Steeringwheel set up (display has changed) but it is a suprises everytime, look at the different displays or where they have the knobs and wheels

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

LM10 wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 17:28
LostInTranslation wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 17:05
LM10 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 16:37

So what he's telling is that Ferrari went for a conventional suspension (which isn't a new thing for them to do) and that's the issue they are having?
Of course.

Perhaps it simply has to do with the way the tires and suspension work together. "The wizard of suspensions", as Antonini calls him (Allison), flew to Brackley a few years ago.

I trust the opinion of someone who knows Ferrari team from the inside, for have been there so many years (till last season), and I invite you to follow his blog "with a thread of gas" inside FormulaPassion.
It's interesting Alberto Antonini tells that it's the conventional suspension system that makes the Ferrari struggle right now. I thought that the conventional way is the one which is not so advantageous aerodynamically, but opens more room for tyre management and set up work. Am I wrong? Wasn't this the reason Ferrari has stuck to that in recent years and also this year?

However, this year they've gone for a hydraulic heave element. Maybe this is the main thing when there is talk about suspension issues? Mercedes and RBR have been using this for a long time, but Ferrari just started. What I mean is, why should they suddenly have problems with a conventional suspension system when they have not had any until this year?
Think of it like this. Ferrari are lacking front mechanical grip on corner entry. You’ll no doubt recall Kimi chasing Verstappen after both Mercs fell off at Barca’, well Verstappen won that race because he had what Ferrari are now adding. (Can’t understand why Vettel didn’t enlighten Ferrari about Newey’s magic front axle when he arrived at Maranello, as he’s known of its effectiveness since his Red Bull days. Although, potentially there’s maybe a reason for that in that it was first devised as a form of ABS and only later, after Riccardo’s experimentation during 2014 it developed into what it is now!). So! It appears Leclerc has so far has been testing things out for four races and unfortunately found a glitch at Baku. (Needs a hold magic facility, as has already been commented on elsewhere). Here’s how it works!
It isn’t a suspension upgrade, as such but a system within the suspension system and operates more-or-less horizontally to allow the caster angle to alter from positive (for straight line stability), to negative (for cornering ability). It’s hydraulic in adjustability but not for both braking and steering enhancement. Therefore the driver will have the final say on which is the more important to him on whichever track he is racing on. We can recall also the defining Riccardo overtake he pulled on Kimi at Monza and still held the racing line. Well at the end of that high speed straight and still make the controlled turn he made, a high resistant setting for braking ability to this system would have been made. On a track such as China with many corners of a more flowing nature, a far less resistive setting would be selected to enhance turn in and sustained cornering ability on exit.
It’s sad that probably by now Mercedes have already fully automated this system by means of steering angle and electronically governed accumulators and even sadder that Ferrari appear to have already started off on the wrong foot by opting to fit it to the lower wishbone. That is likely to change, I’ll bet, to the upper in short order.
Ferrari are a highly rated team,... but somehow?

Mr.G

Slo Poke wrote:
04 May 2019, 20:00

It’s sad that probably by now Mercedes have already fully automated this system by means of steering angle and electronically governed accumulators and even sadder that Ferrari appear to have already started off on the wrong foot by opting to fit it to the lower wishbone. That is likely to change, I’ll bet, to the upper in short order.
Ferrari are a highly rated team,... but somehow?
This would be active suspension, or am I wrong?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

PhillipM
PhillipM

Even if it weren't such a system achieved passively would be outside the rules anyway. Some people have some theories that should be announced as such - guesswork - not announced as a fact...

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

Consider the numeral digit 7. The upright portion of that numeral represents what would be the angle of what would be the caster (positive) inclination of the kingpin set at straight ahead stability. If the car it was attached to was to move forward the numeral would move, in its entirety to the left. Under the inertial force of braking the upper half of the upright portion would move left, into (negative) caster angle, away from the fixed position of the outer upper ball joint of the wishbone. The foot of the upright portion represents the fixed position of the lower ball joint. Hydraulic adjustability enters the arrangement at the extreme left of the horizontal component. I regret to add that you are wrong, it is not active suspension. Neither is it outside, or in breach of any kind of rule and as such it is and shall remain a fact until the FIA decide to ban it.

MtthsMlw

Ferrari is bringing the spec 2 PU and new oil this weekend already. One might think it's a big step since otherwise it's not really worth it given that one PU has to complete 7 weekends.