2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Phil wrote:
29 May 2019, 12:49
Or he'll just stay put period. Enjoy the ride, enjoy the salary, enjoy driving for the most prestigious team in F1, perhaps the planet until his contract runs out until he might leave F1 or... sign an extension.

Even if he is beaten by Leclerc - who cares? Alonso was beaten by Lewis. Lewis was beaten by Rosberg. Kimi was beaten by pretty much everyone at some point. Just because at one point or another, your team-mate might be better/stronger, doesn't mean he'll remain that or that it's some certainty that is unchangeable. If that logic had prevailed, Rosberg would never have won a championship. (And please, for the love of god, do not bring up Lewis's technical issues etc, we know all that already).
I don't think Vettel, Hamilton, Raikkonen or Alonso need the money anymore. They all love racing and competition. Alonso got fed up of the series and I don't think I'll rule the same out for Vettel.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

izzy

munudeges wrote:
29 May 2019, 15:35
izzy wrote:
29 May 2019, 12:58
James Allison chose to leave, after his wife died and because Arrivabene kept looking over his shoulder setting him targets and he didn't believe in targets.
That's the official 'reason', not that there ever really was one, but I'm afraid if you are going to believe official reasons at face value then Formula 1 is going to perpetually confuse you I'm afraid as will Ferrari's continued lack of any kind of ability to compete with Mercedes, let alone win. They had a bunch of idiots in the background who thought they could ride on the coat-tails of what he had put in place and in typical Ferrari fashion said 'we'll take it from here'. Marchionne decided to listen to the political idiots in the team rather than his Technical Director.

Look where James Allison is now relative to Ferrari. Ferrari like their scapegoats, but what always rankles with them is seeing a bunch of foreigners coming into the team and having any kind of success. They always believe they can stand on the shoulders of others once the work appears to have been done. Unless that is purged from the team by uplifting it out of Maranello then nothing will ever change.
i don't know why you think F1 confuses me. i read various sources and look for a consensus among people who actually spend time in the pitlane and talk to people in the teams. Ferrari have problems obviously but you haven't shown how they're about being stupidly nationalistic, they seem to sack all nationalities equally

munudeges

izzy wrote:
29 May 2019, 18:07
i don't know why you think F1 confuses me. i read various sources and look for a consensus among people who actually spend time in the pitlane and talk to people in the teams.
Then you're even more confused than I thought you were. You've picked up the square root of nothing. Formula 1 is a Machiavellian world, and if you can't pick that up and stop taking the falsehoods and half-truths at face value then you'll understand nothing.

Ferrari have problems obviously but you haven't shown how they're about being stupidly nationalistic, they seem to sack all nationalities equally
The question is, what problems, what is the root cancer and how do they solve it? Thinking you can simply tot up sackings at face value is incredibly naive.

You are not paying attention and you will be perpetually confused as to why Ferrari continues to fail, let alone what they might be able to do to sort it. There is a reason why Flavio Briatore continues to nonchalantly dismiss them entirely until they solve this glaring problem - Maranello politics. That is distinctly Italian I'm afraid. John Barnard was hired as their star designer at the end of the eighties. What did he discover they had done? They were developing another car in parallel to his to undermine him. This kind of thing happens every single time at that team.

izzy

munudeges wrote:
29 May 2019, 18:38

You are not paying attention and you will be perpetually confused as to why Ferrari continues to fail, let alone what they might be able to do to sort it. There is a reason why Flavio Briatore continues to nonchalantly dismiss them entirely until they solve this glaring problem - Maranello politics. That is distinctly Italian I'm afraid. John Barnard was hired as their star designer at the end of the eighties. What did he discover they had done? They were developing another car in parallel to his to undermine him. This kind of thing happens every single time at that team.
i'm not confused and you don't seem to actually know anything relevant, these are just sweeping assertions about different things. edit oh and a negative, after picking a fight and insulting me, great
Last edited by izzy on 29 May 2019, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

jumpingfish

And who will be a wingman in Ferrari? Leclerc don't want to be №2, so Alonso - next faithful squire and butler? :D

izzy

"as reported by Marca" lol, but i'd love it personally, tho he'd be 38 but still what an exciting idea

Femi

Manoah2u wrote:
28 May 2019, 20:28
Big Tea wrote:
28 May 2019, 20:08
izzy wrote:
28 May 2019, 20:03

well it's someone reporting someone reporting a rumour that something might happen, so i'd say not to trust it. i mean Seb might, obviously, and he might not, obviously :)
I can see him wanting to go back to RBR???
RBR doesn't want him, they have Verstappen, and Albon is going to replace Gasly's seat next year without a single doubt. hell, if he goes on like this, he might even take Gasly's seat midseason and they'd do a Kvyat on Gasly.

Vettel should have gone to Mercedes, like Alonso should have. They both have made big career mistakes after having fantastic success. I can see Vettel going the exact same route as Alonso if he doesn't calls it quits in F1 before that.
Either way, he indeed has nowhere to go. Only Mercedes is an option for him, but Mercedes won't feel the same.

They have Hamilton-Bottas which works absolutely perfectly, better even than Hamilton Rosberg, which was an amazing pairing looking at it a few years on. Hamilton does want to go to Ferrari, but there has to be some changes there first. A switch offcourse could perhaps happen, but then still, i think if Hamilton is to leave Mercedes,
then Toto and co are probably first and foremost looking to replace him with either Verstappen or Ocon before Seb.
In another twist Hamilton switches seats with LeClerc and Vettel gets his ass handed to him.

Hamilton would be perfect for Ferrari. But hey, that's for 2021 at the best.
Why would Lewis be perfect for Ferrari?

zoroastar

alonso with unfinished business, against leclerc in a ferrari thats as fast as its 2018 car? yes please.

wickedz50

zoroastar wrote:
30 May 2019, 04:26
alonso with unfinished business, against leclerc in a ferrari thats as fast as its 2018 car? yes please.
There is some excitement going on...who knows but yes Alonso has some unfinished business ..will the 2020 season be one of that ...lets hope for the best.

Phil

Why would Vettel retire by years end if his contract goes at least till end of 2020? Is there some place better he could be?

It's just this time of year. Teams are considering plan B scenarios. If Hamilton left, who would Mercedes replace him with? If Vettel left, who would Ferrari replace him with. etc etc etc.

My personal opinion is that this whole rumor thing is because (I think) in the post race interview, Vettel alluded to the fact he may be retiring soon (possibly 2020). He wasn't specifically talking about this year or anything.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

santos

Phil wrote:
30 May 2019, 13:36
Why would Vettel retire by years end if his contract goes at least till end of 2020? Is there some place better he could be?

It's just this time of year. Teams are considering plan B scenarios. If Hamilton left, who would Mercedes replace him with? If Vettel left, who would Ferrari replace him with. etc etc etc.

My personal opinion is that this whole rumor thing is because (I think) in the post race interview, Vettel alluded to the fact he may be retiring soon (possibly 2020). He wasn't specifically talking about this year or anything.
It's two weeks without a race. Blogs, sites, they need something to write. And than there are people that hopes for Alonso to comeback… maybe are the same that are hoping for the V12's return to F1.

LM10

Vettel will stay until end of 2020. By that time, 39 years old Alonso would have no chance against Leclerc. And it would be a stupid choice for Ferrari to get back old Alonso with more than 2 years F1 absence.

There is nothing more unrealistic. Let’s see when all this Alonso thing will stop.

Jolle

looks like silly season 2020/21 has started!

With Ferrari, I think it's fun to look at the past and I believe that Lausanne has more to say over who drives the Ferrari than Maranello. PM managed four big teams in the past; Agostini, Robberts, McLaren and Ferrari. With all four teams they always went to great lengths to have a (former) world champion in the team and if there was an opportunity, more than one. This has not always worked out. When Lawson left Ago they got Spenser out of retirement to replace him what was a carbon copy of what happend when they put Mansell in the McLaren in '95. Both disasters were followed by the departure of PM to another team by the way. PM is less prone to hold a grudge by the way. Even after Lawson left Ago to go to Honda, he was back the following year with the Kenny to complete the superteam. Same goes for Prost. There were talks to have Prost next to Schumacher in '96 and of course, Kimi coming back after they payed him to stay at home for a year.

So yes, I believe, if Vettel left, retires, gets fired or whatever the coming years and they can't snatch up Hamilton, Alonso is the next one they will call. even if it will end in disaster. Of course it went well also, getting an old champ back from retirement: Niki Lauda.

tpeman

Something tells me that if Alonso comes back he will have a hard time against Leclerc. In modern F1, one-year outside of the sport and age can affect one's speed. Kvyat is making a pretty successful return, but he was constantly connected to F1 and did several tests with Ferrari, as well as simulator work, same for Kubica. Alonso is currently (successfully) exploring different types of racing series and he seems to be happy with that. I think his aim is more towards the triple crown, something which doesn't seem to intrigue Ferrari. If it does happen though, the inside battle will be even harder to deal with for Ferrari than the current one.

Vettel's interview with Martin Brundle a month or so ago doesn't suggest he is considering retirement.