[ 2020 ] Scuderia Alpha Tauri - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ispano6

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Alpha Tauri - Honda

Franz Tost, Team Principal

“Twelve years after the great victory in Monza in 2008 with Sebastian Vettel, Scuderia AlphaTauri was able to repeat itself, again in Monza with Pierre Gasly. Strategy-wise, the team did a fantastic job in deciding to bring him in one lap before the safety car was deployed. Of course, we didn’t know this at that time, but at the end this was exactly the right call because at the restart of the race he was in P3 and was able to overtake Stroll into Turn 1. Hamilton had a stop and go penalty which elevated Pierre to the lead, and once he was in this position he was able to defend it until the end of the race, keeping Sainz under control. I must say Pierre drove a fantastic race. Daniil also drove a very strong race, he finished in the points although, was a bit unlucky with the tyre change. Normally, we would have liked to have called him in later, but in the end, he still finished in the top 10. This was the best possible result and we’re extremely happy. Last but not least, a big thanks to Honda for their very powerful engine and their fantastic cooperation. Now we are switching our attention to Mugello, where we’re looking to have another strong race.”
Toyoharu Tanabe, Honda F1 Technical Director

“A fantastic win today for Pierre Gasly and Scuderia AlphaTauri and it’s particularly special that we can celebrate this moment together after what was the 50th race in our partnership. It was an extra bonus to get the win at AlphaTauri’s home race. Pierre’s drive was fast and consistent and the team strategy worked perfectly, as did our PU. Combined with everyone’s efforts this delivered a great result. Congratulations to Pierre especially for his first ever F1 win, but also to everyone in the team. Honda is proud of our partnership which has got stronger step by step over the two and a half years we have been together. We hope our fans around the world enjoyed this afternoon as much as we did it and we thank them for their constant support. This was also the first race with the new PU mode restrictions and we have learned a lot over the three days at the track. Now we have plenty of data to prepare for the race in Mugello next week. Even though we won, it has been a tough weekend, especially as we had a PU issue in the race on Max’s car. We will look into the cause immediately and hope that we can have another strong race next week with all four cars.”

selvam_e2002

then why RB failed? It is pure luck it is one off.

Revs84

Both Tost and Marko are downplaying any chances of Gasly's return to RB.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... C49aO.html

https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/09/07 ... ideration/

There's several reasons one can speculate for that:

1. They have pressure from the Thai shareholders to keep Albon
2. They have learnt their lessons from switching drivers hastily without giving them enough time (doubtful)
3. They believe that there could be a reversal to Gasly's fortunes if they do and he'll struggle again at RB
4. 2nd place for RB in the WCC is quite safe so there's no pressure to do changes - unlike last year
5. SAT will no longer be RB's junior team once they get more resources due to the budget caps and want Gasly as no.1 driver there (as Marko implied)

Maybe a combination of more than one or all... who knows.

What is sure is that Gasly might be better off staying there. The risk though is that if SAT doesn't get the resources, it's not inconceivable if he leaves the team for 2022 though... which would truly be a shame.

Marti_EF3

AT will be more or less on par with RBR with the budget cap, and I suspect a lot of employees will transfer from RB to AT to be into the rules. So it may be great seeing the two teams performing well and 4 Honda cars battling on front

Big Tea

Marti_EF3 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 13:47
AT will be more or less on par with RBR with the budget cap, and I suspect a lot of employees will transfer from RB to AT to be into the rules. So it may be great seeing the two teams performing well and 4 Honda cars battling on front
No point keeping a spare key in the same wallet as the main one

RbR dived, AT was still there to pick up the pieces
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NAPI10

Revs84 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 13:14
Both Tost and Marko are downplaying any chances of Gasly's return to RB.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... C49aO.html

https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/09/07 ... ideration/

There's several reasons one can speculate for that:

1. They have pressure from the Thai shareholders to keep Albon
2. They have learnt their lessons from switching drivers hastily without giving them enough time (doubtful)
3. They believe that there could be a reversal to Gasly's fortunes if they do and he'll struggle again at RB
4. 2nd place for RB in the WCC is quite safe so there's no pressure to do changes - unlike last year
5. SAT will no longer be RB's junior team once they get more resources due to the budget caps and want Gasly as no.1 driver there (as Marko implied)

Maybe a combination of more than one or all... who knows.

What is sure is that Gasly might be better off staying there. The risk though is that if SAT doesn't get the resources, it's not inconceivable if he leaves the team for 2022 though... which would truly be a shame.
Gasly has imoroved alot in last 12 months plus luck is also on his side.Stilll he is not at the level of Max ; switching to RB only going to hamper is career. He will play second fiddle all the time & look mediocre.Stay put at Alpha or find a seat at Renult...

PlatinumZealot

Wouter wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:26
Godius wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:23
That was a well deserved win for Gasly, SAT and Honda.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EhO-bNzX0AANrk8.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EhP6rXzWkAI ... name=small
A win with both teams! This is great for boosting even more the morale of the guys and girls at Sakura and Milton keynes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ispano6

selvam_e2002 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 09:27
then why RB failed? It is pure luck it is one off.
The pitstop before the safety car was luck. The performance after the red flag was just that, pure performance. Stroll and Bottas did not win, neither did Sainz or Norris. A Honda powered car led 25/53 laps to the end, with no tow, no overheating. There is a saying that success is 99% preparation. SAT quietly went on with their business and prepared well, including long run pace with Daniil, so credit goes where credit is due. But it wasn't going unnoticed since even McLaren and RedBull drivers saw SATs pace. That last 1% is execution. It's not a surprise since it is their home turf. Similar to RedBull at Silverstone2, Honda felt their teams would be able to fight for the podium. I almost said before the race that the only way Honda could do better for AT after acknowledging the 50races and thanks for STR and Tost for partnering with Honda was to better the P2 and P3 podiums with a win but I didn't want to jinx them, so I didn't. Honda PU just won at the Temple of Speed, in a very Honda way. Not in straightline drag race speed but making up for it in the corners.

HPD

It really was noticeable how the AT was moving away from Sainz in the middle sector.
I understand that Sainz was in dirty air, but Sainz is a good pilot so I don't think that's the main reason.
AT had a good package for monza.

etusch

HPD wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 18:34
It really was noticeable how the AT was moving away from Sainz in the middle sector.
I understand that Sainz was in dirty air, but Sainz is a good pilot so I don't think that's the main reason.
AT had a good package for monza.
they had set car for pulling away from follower before the straights. so when they come straights follower car is a bit away and drs and other affects only help them to close but not enough for overtake. Bigger df enable stable and later brake and harder trottling at out of turns.

Wouter

Veeeery nice! :D

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

A message / surprise from Pierre !!

The Power of Dreams!

Marti_EF3

Wouter wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:03

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE12RmViPxk/
I'm going for it!!

nzjrs

Marti_EF3 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:07
Wouter wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:03

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE12RmViPxk/
I'm going for it!!
I watched the win wearing my brand new AT hat especially for this occasion!

(also: does anyone know where to get decent honda F1 merchandise)

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!