[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPBD1990

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

Everyone criticised Ferrari last year after we got to Australia and found that their testing pace wasn’t an indicator of their outright performance vs Mercedes. They change their approach. They’re criticised for changing their approach because the fans are scared they’re not top of the timesheet. I meeeeaaaaan liiiiiike... give it a rest?

dtro

JPBD1990 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 06:35
Everyone criticised Ferrari last year after we got to Australia and found that their testing pace wasn’t an indicator of their outright performance vs Mercedes. They change their approach. They’re criticised for changing their approach because the fans are scared they’re not top of the timesheet. I meeeeaaaaan liiiiiike... give it a rest?
I guess style points are as important as actual points for some.

smhasan7

Fer.Fan wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:56
Seanspeed wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 18:46
godlameroso wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 15:49
The car is easily half a second faster than last year.
It might well be, but they sure haven't demonstrated that yet.

I dont think half a second will be nearly enough, though. Merc are claiming they've gained three tenths from engine improvements alone.
A car fast in curves
“This car seems much faster in curves, but we will only really know it at the first grand prix. Certainly based on the numbers we have more downforce. This morning I was surprised by the speed of quickly finding a quick pace. "
I think the track conditions are way better now than they were at the GP. It's a lot less windy, it's cold, it's ideal. Here's what Carlos Sainz observed:

“The conditions today were very different to last year’s GP. There was a lot of grip and no wind. It was the ideal conditions, so the car felt different than last year. You can tell that the car has different things compared to the 2019, things that we are still learning and that we are starting to draw conclusions from. We still have 5 more days to continue to do it.”

So I'm taking these comments from Charles with a pinch of salt. Don't want to build expectations like last year and then be destroyed in Australia

.poz

"stolen" photo from the top....

LM10

What's up with Ferrari? No other team has lapped less than them at this point. Leclerc has been in the pits for ages now.

JPBD1990

I have openly criticised those who’ve said similar things in the past but... I just have a really strong 2016 vibe for this year. Game over

wickedz50

JPBD1990 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 15:07
I have openly criticised those who’ve said similar things in the past but... I just have a really strong 2016 vibe for this year. Game over
Very strange situation, very humiliating I guess, since Sergio M passed away this team is going only backwards, if this continues the team will lose key technical members very soon and then its a race to the bottom between Ferrari and Williams

bosyber

It might still be that they are changing set up around a lot, to test that this year, the car responds well to that. Would be consistent with what Leclerc said yesterday about how they changed their plans and way of testing for this year to avoid getting similar issues as last year which they did not find in testing. The pace clearly is (at least for a part) them running low power, and likely filled up with fuel, and w/o DRS. Let's at least wait until the end of the week before writing them off already (recall last year that happened to Mercedes, and then 2nd week the new car looked ok, and last afternoon they were on par with Ferrari).

jumpingfish

In December (or in January?) I read about new simulator in Maranello, that might replace their "Spider", author wrote that they can't finish building procedures before season starts. Does anyone have something actual about their new simulator?

LM10

jumpingfish wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 17:27
In December (or in January?) I read about new simulator in Maranello, that might replace their "Spider", author wrote that they can't finish building procedures before season starts. Does anyone have something actual about their new simulator?
The new simulator won't be ready before spring (as far as I can remember April was mentioned in the article I read a couple of months ago). I think the plan was for the new simulator be ready earlier, but it got delayed. Not sure about that, though, as the main reason for them to build this is to be prepared for 2021 before the budget cap is in action.

dtro

While I can't make heads or tails of their performance. Last year prepared me for this year's polar opposite approach in testing, let them be middling now if it means understanding the damn car.
They don't look like they're pushing. It's the second day of testing- times mean as close to nothing as possible.

jumpingfish

LM10 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 17:41
jumpingfish wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 17:27
The new simulator won't be ready before spring (as far as I can remember April was mentioned in the article I read a couple of months ago). I think the plan was for the new simulator be ready earlier, but it got delayed. Not sure about that, though, as the main reason for them to build this is to be prepared for 2021 before the budget cap is in action.
Yeah big money investing before budget limits. But I'm affraid they should hurry up with it for this season also :?

munudeges

JPBD1990 wrote:
.....and we'll be proved right. Again. Those in the know suspected that Ferrari's pace last year in testing wasn't real. This year they haven't changed their approach, they are just plain slow. Currently, there is nothing on that car that suggests there is a major jump in performance hidden in it.

There are all sorts of damage limitation things being said right now, such as they're running in low power modes and on heavy fuel, and there's rumours of a large upgrade for Melbourne. One hopes for their sake that it comes a lot sooner.

LM10

munudeges wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:20
JPBD1990 wrote:
.....and we'll be proved right. Again. Those in the know suspected that Ferrari's pace last year in testing wasn't real. This year they haven't changed their approach, they are just plain slow. Currently, there is nothing on that car that suggests there is a major jump in performance hidden in it.

There are all sorts of damage limitation things being said right now, such as they're running in low power modes and on heavy fuel, and there's rumours of a large upgrade for Melbourne. One hopes for their sake that it comes a lot sooner.
You simply need to compare their top speeds from last season's testing, when they were on the higher ends, with this year's speeds. Yesterday they were last with a big margin among top speeds and today one of the slower cars again.
Also, last season they've done fast laps from the get go.

"They haven't changed their approach." - Are you inside of the team?

"They are just plain slow" - Well, yesterday they were slower than Williams. Today's time was just a tenth faster than yesterday's. Oh wait... actually you're right, they are plain slow. :|

dtro

I'm not concerned Ferrari isn't lighting up the timesheets. This year is going to be close AF, and nobody is showing their cards right now, this is Texas hold'em and we're just trying to peak at the card the might or might not be on the table yet.