[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ringleheim

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

It's ridiculous to suggest the two Ferraris are not the same car. Absolutely ridiculous.

JPBD1990

Ringleheim wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 08:30
It's ridiculous to suggest the two Ferraris are not the same car. Absolutely ridiculous.
Thank you! Im so sick of seeing this.

There is no doubt that this car was and is being honed based on Leclerc’s preferences. That’s 100% to be expected - look at Redbull.

Seb is leaving at the end of the year which compounds this, as there’s no return on investment for Ferrari to bring the car back to Vettel’s style - when Charles is going from strength to strength.

All that’s happening here is that the balance between their two sets of priorities in terms of driving preferences is gone. Ferrari is developing for Leclerc, which is totally normal and to be expected. That ISN’T the same thing as the cars being different.

I have no doubt this fact is exasperating Vettel’s poor performance, but lest we forget that Charles already outscored him last year.

I believe Charles is just better able to drive around a cars weakness - to adjust, where as Seb needs what he needs to do well and isn’t getting it. That sucks for seb, but these conspiracies need to die.

TribesMan

I think Vettel must be playing "the long game" and is deliberately sabotaging Ferrari.
If he manages to keep Ferrari behind Racing Point in points standings, that means more money for Racing Point in next seasons when he will be driving there...

/sarcasm off

toraabe

Seb hates loose rear. Charles the opposite. Ve described the latest update in Portugal to suit him. That the rear is moving all over the place don't bother him at all. The same as Schumacher. He liked a biting front end and a quite loose rear so he could play with the throttle to get it stuck to the ground

cheeRS

Ringleheim wrote:
It's more ridiculous to see the difference in results between drivers this year and to conclude, "Well, Vettel is just giving up and the car doesn't suit his style."

I mean, the difference is basically the biggest between teammates on the grid. Even during the days that Riccardo beat Vettel, it wasn't like this.

People don't seem to understand what Ferrari is, what kind of team it is. If you cross Ferrari, you're done, plain and simple. Doesn't matter if you're Prost, Schumacher, or Vettel. If you talk bad about Ferrari (which Vettel continues to do), they have to support their reputation.

Ferrari have all the incentive in the world to make Vettel look bad. They're not in the fight this year, even if Vettel was doing as well as LeClerc, so "sabatoge" doesn't matter. If they make a 4 time WDC look like a bad rookie, it vindicates their car and their #1 driver and makes Ferrari look good for getting rid of "the problem", Vettel. Think about it. If Vettel was getting podiums, doing well in Q3, people would question Binotto's decision to sack him.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

Adamski

JPBD1990 wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 08:51
Ringleheim wrote:
There is no doubt that this car was and is being honed based on Leclerc’s preferences. That’s 100% to be expected - look at Redbull.

Seb is leaving at the end of the year which compounds this, as there’s no return on investment for Ferrari to bring the car back to Vettel’s style - when Charles is going from strength to strength.

All that’s happening here is that the balance between their two sets of priorities in terms of driving preferences is gone. Ferrari is developing for Leclerc, which is totally normal and to be expected. That ISN’T the same thing as the cars being different.

I have no doubt this fact is exasperating Vettel’s poor performance, but lest we forget that Charles already outscored him last year.

I believe Charles is just better able to drive around a cars weakness - to adjust, where as Seb needs what he needs to do well and isn’t getting it. That sucks for seb, but these conspiracies need to die.
It looks like a reasonable explanation to the difference we can see from race to race. I don't really think Vettel looses his speed just from a blink of an eye. Further developing a car to Leclerc's taste, it's a very good learning curve for both the team and Leclerc. Which brings two other questions into my head:

- How hard could have been for Ferrari from 2019, to develop one car to two very different driving styles?!
- What about the future, considering Sainz... They really don't care about him already?
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

Gothrek

cheeRS wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 18:27
Ringleheim wrote:
It's more ridiculous to see the difference in results between drivers this year and to conclude, "Well, Vettel is just giving up and the car doesn't suit his style."

I mean, the difference is basically the biggest between teammates on the grid. Even during the days that Riccardo beat Vettel, it wasn't like this.

People don't seem to understand what Ferrari is, what kind of team it is. If you cross Ferrari, you're done, plain and simple. Doesn't matter if you're Prost, Schumacher, or Vettel. If you talk bad about Ferrari (which Vettel continues to do), they have to support their reputation.

Ferrari have all the incentive in the world to make Vettel look bad. They're not in the fight this year, even if Vettel was doing as well as LeClerc, so "sabatoge" doesn't matter. If they make a 4 time WDC look like a bad rookie, it vindicates their car and their #1 driver and makes Ferrari look good for getting rid of "the problem", Vettel. Think about it. If Vettel was getting podiums, doing well in Q3, people would question Binotto's decision to sack him.
For anyone working a large corporation this makes so much sense. I see it all too much.

El Scorchio

Vettel seems to think so given his comments after the race.

hape

Gothrek wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 21:49
cheeRS wrote:
Ringleheim wrote:

For anyone working a large corporation this makes so much sense. I see it all too much.
As last years car was designed to suit Vettel, in the end it was Leclerc being the more successful driver. It might very well be that Ferrari took into account the preferences of Leclerc while designing and later on adapting the draggy SF1000 to a more suitable racing car. It just shows Leclerc could adapt his driving style and still outperform Vettel in 2019, while the other way around Vettel has no chance to do the same this year.
Let’s wait and see what happens next year for SV. No excuses against Stroll.

LM10

hape wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 23:06
Gothrek wrote:
cheeRS wrote:

As last years car was designed to suit Vettel, in the end it was Leclerc being the more successful driver. It might very well be that Ferrari took into account the preferences of Leclerc while designing and later on adapting the draggy SF1000 to a more suitable racing car. It just shows Leclerc could adapt his driving style and still outperform Vettel in 2019, while the other way around Vettel has no chance to do the same this year.
Last year's car was a dragster and poor in the corners. It had a loose rear end. Which part of that car was designed to suit Vettel?

Leclerc is a special talent. He not only is fast, but he obviously manages to adapt and drive around the issues and weaknesses of the car. I don't think there is any driver who will like a loose rear end, but there are drivers who get affected way less by that than other drivers.

Big Tea

LM10 wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 23:34
hape wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 23:06
Gothrek wrote:

Last year's car was a dragster and poor in the corners. It had a loose rear end. Which part of that car was designed to suit Vettel?

Leclerc is a special talent. He not only is fast, but he obviously manages to adapt and drive around the issues and weaknesses of the car. I don't think there is any driver who will like a loose rear end, but there are drivers who get affected way less by that than other drivers.
I think all the cars are designed to suit Ferrari engineers, and last years car started off suiting Vettel, and grew into LeClerc, and moved closer this year.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AMG.Tzan

What happened to Vettel everyone asks I see! Well let's try to explain here!

Vettel is this kind of driver who is exceptionally fast under certain conditions! These conditions are:
1. A car with a really stable rear end
2. A team that fully supports him

Right now he has none of these two! The Ferrari is all over the place and we all saw how the relationship between the team and him ended so badly! Moreover there is one more thing compounding Vettel's problems....and that's the midfield battle which is so tight with really good drivers around him (Ricciardo, Sainz, Norris, Leclerc,...)!

Even in his Red Bull years Vettel wasn't the best overtaker or fighter when it came to battling other drivers on track! Remember the start of 2012 and how he was nowhere and then by the end of 2012 he was untouchable when the car got sorted out! Same as 2020 happened in 2014 when he got absolutely beaten by Danny in a car that wasn't as bad as 2020's Ferrari!

I never thought Vettel was one of the greatest...even when he was winning 9 races in a row! I always thought he had way too much luck with him back then (i.e. Brazil 2012) and a teammate not strong enough (Webber)...and that his statistics just didn't show the true picture! And people were exaggerating his talent (Sir Jackie saying how legendary Vettel was and how Lewis was a step below him...what about now Jackie?? :lol: :lol: )

I always thought Hamilton and Alonso were better than him just because they could drive the wheels off of anything they were given! Leclerc and Verstappen today can also do that it seems!

So:
-Did Vettel forget how to drive?
-Is his car different to Leclerc's?

The answer is: No! The circumstances just don't help him right now!
Is he a bad driver? No he isn't! He is a great one! But things aren't that simple in F1.
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Zynerji

Let's see what Seb does in a low-rake Pink Mercedes next year. Then we will see what's what.

e30ernest

I haven't been paying attention to the lap time differences lately, but I think they aren't that far off from each other (Vet and Lec)? Things might just look worse than it is due to how tightly packed the midfield is. A few tenths or even a few hundredths can see you slip down a few places easily.

El Scorchio

e30ernest wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 04:15
I haven't been paying attention to the lap time differences lately, but I think they aren't that far off from each other (Vet and Lec)? Things might just look worse than it is due to how tightly packed the midfield is. A few tenths or even a few hundredths can see you slip down a few places easily.
It would be really interesting to see the average time gap in qualifying this season actually. In my head, it's something crazy like 0.5 seconds but that could just be my brain remembering a few big outliers and assuming it to be normal.