[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ryaan2904

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

LM10 wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 18:57
ryaan2904 wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 15:14
Scorpaguy wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 20:02
Bino

...so Bino is skipping the last 3 races to "...stay at the factory and oversee development of the 2021 car...". This all seems a bit strange (granted we are all living in a strange 2020-covid pseudo-reality). Does anyone but me think it strange for a TP to announce such a thing? Are Big Red politics afoot?
James Allison hasn't been in the paddock for the same reason since the last two races I think. Its painful for Ferrari since their TP and TD are one and the same. I dont get why he became TP when he already had so many responsibilities
The technical department of Ferrari has been restructured already months ago. Binotto is no longer the technical director.
Yes ofcourse, but I personally feel that 'Bino is no longer TD' is all just on paper. I think (not sure) its Simone Resta who they show as the new TD on paper. Imo, the technical direction and the final decisions are still made by Binotto
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

godlameroso wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 18:24
Binotto has been their engine guy, it's like putting Andy Cowell in charge at Mercedes. Truthfully, this season was growing pains for Ferrari, just like Honda went through when it made a big switch in architecture. The Ferrari engine isn't just down because they can't "cheat" any more, but because they misjudged parts of their new concept. Unfortunately for them, they cannot make in season changes to the power unit, and so have to suffer with their current hardware until the end of the season. If they had been allowed to, Ferrari would easily be able to develop its way out of its current predicament, instead they must wait until next season to get to a more normal level.

Do you not find it curious that Ferrari spends all its tokens in the rear despite being the only team to retain the cape/J vane setup? Surely this is not an advantage, so why spend all of your resources and development potential in the rear of the car? Because that is where the engine goes. That is where they are furthest behind, so they needed to spend the tokens because the new engine is very different to the current one.

Next year they will still have their hybrid cape/J-vane setup with all the drawbacks and benefits that brings, but will have a new rear end to go with their new power unit. Therefore Ferrari will have a much better engine but still be constrained by their front end setup. It's not known how the floor changes will affect their setup, relative to the Mercedes/RB/Renault/McLaren style cape. Perhaps it will benefit Ferrari because they can make stronger bargeboard vortices that can somewhat compensate for what they lose on the floor.

The cape feeds more air to the diffuser directly at the expense of some airflow to the bargeboards, so perhaps the caped cars will suffer more as they'll have slightly weaker vortecies from the bargeboards than J-vane setup.

Perhaps Ferrari is well situated with their hybrid version, and is also why Mercedes is investing its tokens up front, not just for removal of DAS, but to possibly tweak their cape/bargeboard concept so that the airflow is more evenly distributed between diffuser and bargeboards.
While I agree that the complete new engine direction could well be a risk, I think one whole season of nothing but engine development without worrying about matching deadlines should be enough to produce a solid engine.
Also, imo the hybrid cape/J vane setup is quite ingenious. J vanes bring a lot of stability especially during crosswind conditions, an area in which RBR struggles especially after the new nose and cape adaptation. More importantly, it suits the Ferrari chassis. And as you said, with the floor regs next year, it could benefit Ferrari even more.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

LM10

dtro

The weekend Binotto was left behind there were whispers round the paddock that the Ferrari shipment was twice its usual size at one other point this year. Laurent Mekies instructs the engineers and mechanics to prepare the cars, both cars. Lo and behold both cars finish in the points.

No illusions and zfg about next season but at least Vettel got one last chance to shine after everyone wrote him off.

Charles will come back stronger I'm sure.

aleks_ader

dtro wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 23:10
The weekend Binotto was left behind there were whispers round the paddock that the Ferrari shipment was twice its usual size at one other point this year. Laurent Mekies instructs the engineers and mechanics to prepare the cars, both cars. Lo and behold both cars finish in the points.
What u mean more man power?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

dtro

aleks_ader wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 23:20
dtro wrote:
What u mean more man power?
I guess they double checked things on both cars this time.

mika vs michael

Maybe Binotto should stay more time in the factory...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

Scorpaguy

I too thought it strange that Bino was skipping...but it should be noted that Cyril also opted to stay at the office this weekend.

mika vs michael

Binotto skipped because Ferrari have a monstrous work to do to get back to 3rd place in 2021...and may have a chance in 2022...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
and is also why Mercedes is investing its tokens up front, not just for removal of DAS, but to possibly tweak their cape/bargeboard concept so that the airflow is more evenly distributed between diffuser and bargeboards.
Mercedes doesn't have to spend any tokens to remove DAS. That's been confirmed several times, including in a video interview with James Allison on Merc's YouTube channel.

Just an FYI.

Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:

The cape feeds more air to the diffuser directly at the expense of some airflow to the bargeboards, so perhaps the caped cars will suffer more as they'll have slightly weaker vortecies from the bargeboards than J-vane setup.
I'm not sure it's that simple. Cape and j-vane do much the something but subtly differently. Both are controlling and also benefiting from the Y250 vortex.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

selvam_e2002

self criticizing is good however you need to learn from it. It does not seems to be. How may time we can hear from him on his self criticizing? Need to grow up....

ryaan2904

dtro wrote:

No illusions and zfg about next season but at least Vettel got one last chance to shine after everyone wrote him off.

This is crazy. I get it that people don't like Binotto but spreading rumours like this is just ridiculous. Can't believe people still believe "the cars are different theory" when Sebastian himself has disagreed with such rumors.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Manoah2u

dtro wrote:

I must say I find it pretty remarkable that now Mekies is taking a more 'leading' or 'actively leading' role, and Binotto being far less involved there and supposedly more active at Maranello (or in secrecy sent home and sit out his time), that Ferrari has gained quite a lot in the field and from what I could gather or 'spot' I am getting the idea the vibe is much better and far more amicable, far less hostile. Hell, Vettel looks far more relaxed and his onboards have a different 'vibe' to it aswell.

I could be seeing things that aren't there, perhaps influenced by my own ideas/feelings and as such reading far more into it than actually is happening, but I can't help but notice a better atmosphere and oddly enough, a certain amount of progress.

I'm actually hoping Binotto - who in my opinion has clearly shown not capable of the TP role and has failed hugely - will NOT return EVER to a TP role by any means. I personally believe he has served his time there anyway, and it's time for other people.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

MachineCo.

Would it really make sense for Ferrari to spend all that effort to make Vettel look as bad as he's been? They could have just released him it that was the case.