[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

Binotto warns not to expect anything special from the forthcoming aero developments!

Just when I was hoping for some improvement, he reminds me yet again how bad the car is.

😭

PlatinumZealot

Leclerc seems to be pulling Alonso 2012 though!
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Moore77

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 06:50
My money is on Leclerc. The dark horse for 2020 WDC.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

LM10
LM10

Ringleheim wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 02:53
Binotto warns not to expect anything special from the forthcoming aero developments!

Just when I was hoping for some improvement, he reminds me yet again how bad the car is.

😭
What he means is not to expect Ferrari to fight RBR and Mercedes out of nothing. Their first aim is to let the group consisting of McLaren, Racing Point and Renault behind.

Sevach
Sevach

That was a clean, gritty and intelligent performance with a car that wasn't any faster than the Mclarens.

Vettel stole the "negative spotlight" last year, but Charles (kinda understandably) had a error prone season too, let's see if he keeps this up.

Tzk
Tzk

ENGINE TUNER wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2020, 14:42
Vettel didn't spin because of the car, he spun because he attempted an absurd pass and was forced to abort in order to avoid a collision.
Uhm, i didn't argue that point? But still, if the car doesn't suit the driver (hint: it doesn't) you can always expect a sub-optimal performance of the driver. You can clearly see that vettel is overdriving the ferrari which is costing him laptime as a result. That's why the car is sliding a lot on the posted onboard lap. Leclerc seems to be able to drive around the issues way better than vettel. Vettels spin was also a direct result of said overdriving... So yes, you can't blame the car alone for the performance.

Still the car isn't as good as it should be. Leclerc finishing 2nd was luck and not the result of raw pace of the car. I expect them to finish way down the order on the 2nd race... McLaren, Renault and RP might be faster than the Ferraris.

Juzh

One race and we're comparing a 2 time race winner to alonso's 2012 season :lol: :lol: :lol: get real mate

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Tzk wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 12:25
Vettel didn't spin because of the car, he spun because he attempted an absurd pass and was forced to abort in order to avoid a collision.
Uhm, i didn't argue that point? But still, if the car doesn't suit the driver (hint: it doesn't) you can always expect a sub-optimal performance of the driver. You can clearly see that vettel is overdriving the ferrari which is costing him laptime as a result. That's why the car is sliding a lot on the posted onboard lap. Leclerc seems to be able to drive around the issues way better than vettel. Vettels spin was also a direct result of said overdriving... So yes, you can't blame the car alone for the performance.

Still the car isn't as good as it should be. Leclerc finishing 2nd was luck and not the result of raw pace of the car. I expect them to finish way down the order on the 2nd race... McLaren, Renault and RP might be faster than the Ferraris.
Drivers are supposed to be able to adapt, LEC did, VET didn't. They have onboard tools they can use to change the car's behavior, the diff and the brake bias settings. Whatever the current level of the Ferrari is, VET did not extract the maximum out of it.

AngelicPrincess
AngelicPrincess

Re: Ferrari SF1000

So I wrote a script that records the speed of the car from the onboard qualy laps, sampling at a constant rate. The math is then straight forward to calculate the distance covered and plot the results as shown below. The laps taken into account are; Bottas', Leclerc's and Verstappen's.

What I find interesting is that the Ferrari seems to be doing very well at high speed corners. Although that might be because of Leclerc and not the car, from the data and the video he seems to be chucking the car in the corners carrying more speed and letting it scrub off before the apex.

The table below shows a breakdown of the time deltas. (S1 for straight 1, T1 for turn 1 etc.)

SAEED
SAEED

Vettel says he wasn't going for the pass. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... n=widget-1

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

SAEED wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 20:01

Vettel says he wasn't going for the pass. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... n=widget-1
Wow, only Vettel can crash into someone directly in front of him when supposedly not even going for a pass. Seriously, "when did I do dangerous driving ?"
Same old Vettel, full of crap and making up excuses.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

AngelicPrincess wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 19:01
So I wrote a script that records the speed of the car from the onboard qualy laps, sampling at a constant rate. The math is then straight forward to calculate the distance covered and plot the results as shown below. The laps taken into account are; Bottas', Leclerc's and Verstappen's.

https://i.ibb.co/TtSw6sT/Annotation-202 ... 195935.jpg

What I find interesting is that the Ferrari seems to be doing very well at high speed corners. Although that might be because of Leclerc and not the car, from the data and the video he seems to be chucking the car in the corners carrying more speed and letting it scrub off before the apex.

The table below shows a breakdown of the time deltas. (S1 for straight 1, T1 for turn 1 etc.)

https://i.ibb.co/Cw2DcV4/Annotation-202 ... 195951.jpg
Outstanding work, bravo.
May I ask the sampling rate?

JordanMugen

AngelicPrincess wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 19:01
Exceptional analysis AngelicPrincess! =D> =D> =D>

Leclerc's speed trace in some of those faster corners is very strange indeed... Not V-shaped.

JordanMugen

Ringleheim wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 02:53
Car... Or power unit? :wink: :wink:

It seems quite the coincidence that Ferrari, Haas and Alfa Romeo would all build much slower cars at the same time.

Balance might need sorting, but perhaps with a Mercedes power unit, the Ferrari car would actually be fairly competitive? Assuming Ferrari have lost 50-70 bhp, how much laptime is that worth?

pierrre
pierrre

JordanMugen wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2020, 17:14
pierrre wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2020, 14:29
whats obvious is that the scuderia ferrari's problem is way more than binotto's claim hungarian aerodynamic package, red herring maybe to a much more deeper problem
Actually, Binotto said clearly on Sky TV that the car is OK on grip-limited sections (corners) but loses 0.7sec on power-limited sections (straights)... He said Hungary update will not help about fixing the deficit in power-limited
well Binotto did question the current aerodynamic package they have and hoping their all new package would be ready by Hungary..this was before the Austrian grand Prix, they obviously already knew theyve got power shortage way before and clarity on the aerodynamic excuse is getting stronger post Austrian Grand Prix since grip is ok. i did not see what he said on sky