[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
F1NAC

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

f1316 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 21:31
wowgr8 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 13:06
CriXus wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 12:23
Will there be a shakedown/filming day before Barcelona test?
The day before the first test if I'm not mistaken
So we’re expecting to see them hit the track tomorrow then? Any confirmed sources for this?
this is the picture they posted on twitter. So Tuesday it is (official)

f1316

Nice! Thanks

wowgr8

Having had some time to look at the car, I don't think this first spec car will get close to challenging the top two. We had so much ground to make up at the end of last year and from eyeballing it I'd say this car will be a ~4 tenth a lap improvement. The second car needs to be a big step, last year we were losing nearly 1s to Mercedes per lap in the corners, that's to the 2019 Mercedes as well

LM10

wowgr8 wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 12:26
Having had some time to look at the car, I don't think this first spec car will get close to challenging the top two. We had so much ground to make up at the end of last year and from eyeballing it I'd say this car will be a ~4 tenth a lap improvement. The second car needs to be a big step, last year we were losing nearly 1s to Mercedes per lap in the corners, that's to the 2019 Mercedes as well
If you’re able to tell from eyeballing that the car is gonna be 4 tenths faster, you should not lose any more time and apply for the job as Head of aerodynamics in any of the teams. They’ll hire you without thinking twice.

zibby43

Re: Ferrari SF1000

What's this doing there in Barcelona?

via Thomas Maher

jumpingfish

zibby43 wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 09:30

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERHzGhAWsAA ... =4096x4096

via Thomas Maher
looks so naked :shock:

zibby43

jumpingfish wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 09:34
zibby43 wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 09:30

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERHzGhAWsAA ... =4096x4096

via Thomas Maher
looks so naked :shock:
It appears to be the SF90, pre-Singapore upgrade (no cape, etc.).

godlameroso

The car is easily half a second faster than last year.
Saishū kōnā

Seanspeed

godlameroso wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 15:49
It might well be, but they sure haven't demonstrated that yet.

I dont think half a second will be nearly enough, though. Merc are claiming they've gained three tenths from engine improvements alone.

jumpingfish

Leclerc about SF1000:
“This car seems to me much faster when cornering, but we will only really know it at the first grand prix. Certainly based on the numbers we have more downforce. This morning I was surprised by the speed of quickly finding a quick pace. "

https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... 81994.html

godlameroso

Seanspeed wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 18:46
godlameroso wrote:

I dont think half a second will be nearly enough, though. Merc are claiming they've gained three tenths from engine improvements alone.
Merc is capable of doing 14.9 best case scenario if their gains are to be believed. If Ferrari is .6 faster than last year that would put them at 15.5.

Perhaps it wouldn't be enough at a circuit like Barcelona, but on other circuits it may be enough to be faster than Mercedes. Mercedes was .8 seconds faster than Ferrari last year in Barcelona, so if they cut that gap by nearly half, then they should be more competitive on a wider variety of tracks than last year.

I don't think Ferrari expects to dominate, but they do expect to be closer to Mercedes, and the gap can fluctuate between races.
Saishū kōnā

Fer.Fan

Seanspeed wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 18:46
godlameroso wrote:

The power relations in the field
“Difficult to say where we are now. We have not pushed to the limit. Certainly this machine is an evolution compared to last year ".

More translate:

A different approach to 2019
“We have changed our approach compared to last year's tests where everything seemed very promising from the start. This year we decided to focus on getting to know our car. It's early to talk about performance. "

A more versatile SF-1000 than the SF90
“We certainly have more flexibility in the set up this year and we are able to better adapt the car between me and Vettel. I only knew this morning at six that I would drive immediately. It required adaptation to the car but everything went well. This year the team knows what kind of set up I am looking for and how to give me a car that best suits my driving style. Flexibility in terms of set up also means having a car with a set up that is better suited to each track. Last year we suffered a lot with the search for the set-up on certain tracks ".

A car fast in curves
“This car seems much faster in curves, but we will only really know it at the first grand prix. Certainly based on the numbers we have more downforce. This morning I was surprised by the speed of quickly finding a quick pace. "

Positive
feelings “The feelings I have from this car are positive. After all, it is an evolution of the car of last year that I obviously knew well. These first days are more instructive for engineers than for me, since we focus on data collection. "

CSavoy

jumpingfish wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:19
Leclerc about SF1000:
“This car seems to me much faster when cornering, but we will only really know it at the first grand prix. Certainly based on the numbers we have more downforce. This morning I was surprised by the speed of quickly finding a quick pace. "

https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... 81994.html
He talks about a lot of stuff. Here is a (amateur) translation:

Power relation across the field
"Difficult to say where we are. We didn't push to the limit. Certainly this machine is a evolution from the last year"

A different approach from 2019
"We changed our approach in comparision with last year's tests, where everything suddenly seemed very promising. This year we decided to focus on deeply knowing our car. It's to early to talk about performance."

A SF1000 more versatile than the SF90
"Save to say we have more setup flexibility this year and we are able to better adapt for Vettel and me. I only knew by this morning at six that I was going to drive immediatly. It was required adaptation to the machine, but everything went well. This year the team knows which setup I'm looking for and how to give me a car which better adapts itself to my driving style. Flexibility in terms of setup means also means to have a car with the best setup for each track. Last year we suffered a lot looking for the best setup on some tracks."

A fast car on turns
“This car seems to me much faster when cornering, but we will only really know it at the first grand prix. Certainly based on the numbers we have more downforce. This morning I was surprised by the speed of quickly finding a quick pace."

Objectives for 2020
"My only objective for 2020 is for when the season ends to look back with no regrets. It is to early to talk about the championship"

Positive feelings
"The feelings I have for this car are positive. After all it's an evolution from last year's car, which I obviously knew well. These days are more instructive for the engineers than for me, because we are focusing on data aquisition."

Paper and pen
"Today I took notes with paper and pen about this car's performance and the sensations I felt. It's useful for fixing them on memory after many laps."

Seanspeed

godlameroso wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:22
Merc is capable of doing 14.9 best case scenario if their gains are to be believed. If Ferrari is .6 faster than last year that would put them at 15.5.

Perhaps it wouldn't be enough at a circuit like Barcelona, but on other circuits it may be enough to be faster than Mercedes. Mercedes was .8 seconds faster than Ferrari last year in Barcelona, so if they cut that gap by nearly half, then they should be more competitive on a wider variety of tracks than last year.

I don't think Ferrari expects to dominate, but they do expect to be closer to Mercedes, and the gap can fluctuate between races.
Regardless of whatever 'claimed' figures are being pushed about, I still remain pretty concerned that Mercedes could have actually brought more worthwhile improvements than Ferrari have. They have not shied away from chasing more radical solutions even for this year, and they sound incredibly confident of what they've achieved. Ferrari have obviously put in good work, but sometimes your best is just never going to match the best of another team that just has all the best pieces in place. The current Merc team is like a supergroup, and they're not facing any issues with their top engineers/designers/talent being poached.

Basically, I think it's entirely possible that Ferrari will find themselves even further away than last year. Obviously winning the championship is a super longshot, but I think it's possible we're about to see Merc enter back into 2014-2016 dominant territory. They weren't far off it last year already by the end.

TheFluffy

Seanspeed wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 00:15
godlameroso wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:22

Regardless of whatever 'claimed' figures are being pushed about, I still remain pretty concerned that Mercedes could have actually brought more worthwhile improvements than Ferrari have. They have not shied away from chasing more radical solutions even for this year, and they sound incredibly confident of what they've achieved. Ferrari have obviously put in good work, but sometimes your best is just never going to match the best of another team that just has all the best pieces in place. The current Merc team is like a supergroup, and they're not facing any issues with their top engineers/designers/talent being poached.

Basically, I think it's entirely possible that Ferrari will find themselves even further away than last year. Obviously winning the championship is a super longshot, but I think it's possible we're about to see Merc enter back into 2014-2016 dominant territory. They weren't far off it last year already by the end.
As much as I have a belief that Merc are the favourites to win the championship, lets not try to portray them as god-level. They do bleed. We have seen it in 2017-2019, it just depends if other teams can capitalise on their mistakes and make fewer mistakes of their own. i.e. maximising their car every weekend with setup and strategy. That is how Ferrari almost won the 2012 championship, consistency...

Pace is the predominant factor to win a championship but nothing I've seen is out of the ordinary. Red Bull and Ferrari will be there and there abouts with Merc