[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jambier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I'm really not sure McLaren will be able to switch engine

It may be that 2020 season will happen in 2021.

chrisgr

If we switch to Mec PU next year, then we might develop our own DAS :P. The 2021 rules will now allow it. If something else doesn't happen.

Big Tea

chrisgr wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 19:32
If we switch to Mec PU next year, then we might develop our own DAS :P. The 2021 rules will now allow it. If something else doesn't happen.
Its a lot of cost and resources for something they are not sure is a big advantage.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 20:07
chrisgr wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 19:32
Its a lot of cost and resources for something they are not sure is a big advantage.
I think it goes the other way around ..... if you're switching to a new PU, the work to bring the New PU in leaves less time to do other things ...

SmallSoldier

Obviously we don’t have access to Mclaren’s contracts with either Renault and Mercedes, but those contracts are agreed per year, not per regulation... So they shouldn’t have any other option... Whether that would be a good or a bad things is a different story, at least the interesting part is that they (as long as the other teams) will have an opportunity to keep developing these year’s cars.

Personally, I would love to see the potential of Mclaren with the Mercedes PU in the current regulations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ivanlesk

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 22:25
Obviously we don’t have access to Mclaren’s contracts with either Renault and Mercedes, but those contracts are agreed per year, not per regulation... So they shouldn’t have any other option... Whether that would be a good or a bad things is a different story, at least the interesting part is that they (as long as the other teams) will have an opportunity to keep developing these year’s cars.

Personally, I would love to see the potential of Mclaren with the Mercedes PU in the current regulations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
True.
And they will have one year more (earlier) to adopt to new PU.

So they will have more time to focus on new regs for 2022

godlameroso

I wonder how the McLaren employee is doing, I hope he's recovering well.
Saishū kōnā

Chicane

McLaren can modify the chassis enough to integrate Mercedes PU
Quickshifter

Mansell89

To be fair I’m impressed with how slim McLaren have managed to get with the Renault given the well know layout issue that it causes. Hopefully this means they can accommodate the Mercedes without any major compromise to their philosophy.

Having a year with Merc prior to the new regulations is fantastic news in terms of getting optimised for the (now) 2022 regulation change.

Jambier

So all manufacturers are supposed to keep 2020 chassis right ?

But McLaren will be authorized to switch to Mercedes ?

geogate

so far as i can tell, there is no obligation to keep the 2020 chassis for a 2021 season - its just that the regulations remain the same. If there is any kind of 2020 season, i would expect them all to have new 2021 chassis, just to the old regs

Ground Effect

godlameroso wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 04:29
It’s been reported he’s free of symptoms now, recovering well. The other members in isolation all tested negative.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Mansell89 wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 10:04
To be fair I’m impressed with how slim McLaren have managed to get with the Renault given the well know layout issue that it causes. Hopefully this means they can accommodate the Mercedes without any major compromise to their philosophy.

Having a year with Merc prior to the new regulations is fantastic news in terms of getting optimised for the (now) 2022 regulation change.
What layout issues ? Also RBR when they used the Renault PU had the slimmest layout even then. RBR have gotten slimmer now but they got slimmer every year with Renault. So how much of that is the Honda PU, how much is less colling requirement or how much of that is just refinement of the cooling design I have no idea.

godlameroso

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 13:00
godlameroso wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 04:29
It’s been reported he’s free of symptoms now, recovering well. The other members in isolation all tested negative.
That's great! I took me nearly a month to completely eliminate the virus. Just when I can go out again everything is going on lockdown.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

diffuser wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 13:35
Mansell89 wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 10:04

What layout issues ? Also RBR when they used the Renault PU had the slimmest layout even then. RBR have gotten slimmer now but they got slimmer every year with Renault. So how much of that is the Honda PU, how much is less colling requirement or how much of that is just refinement of the cooling design I have no idea.
The transmission and its cooling requirements are a huge limiting factor with how slim the rear end can be made. McLaren has invested a lot of resources and development to improve their transmission. The power unit has pluses and minuses regarding packaging, but nothing McLaren can do much about, as they don't build it. They do build the transmission however, as well as all the heat exchangers and how that's packaged is huge in terms of aero potential.

McLaren has spent most of 2019 working on the 2020 transmission. With a Mercedes lump going in the car next year I hope it doesn't derail their planned 2021 transmission, which fortunately is not under the cost cap for this year.
Saishū kōnā