[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
19 May 2020, 06:57
Jackles-UK wrote:
18 May 2020, 14:14
diffuser wrote:
18 May 2020, 01:52

I never heard McLaren use the Toyota wind tunnel as an excuse.
It was one of the theories kicking around as to why they missed the terrible issue with the 2018 car but, like you say, it was never officially confirmed by the team. Modern wind tunnels can more accurately simulate the forces when the car is in yaw or experiencing cross-winds and I don’t think the Toyota one can quite as effectively.

The fact that McLaren are only now spending huge money on a brand new, state-of-the-art wind tunnel at the MTC so soon after an issue with correlation only adds fuel to the fire.
Yeah, my understanding was they just missed the tire wake messing the side pod flow in curves. Thought the cap was the trigger for building the tunnel. That it will be harder to build when the ccap is in place.

You probably save money on paying for hotels, air, misc expenses for the crews and transportation costs for pieces. It's easily $1000 per week per person +air.

Plus right now....not certain anyone can travel to Cologne.
Plus the parts have to get to Cologne. If you have paid for the time but realise there is no point wasting your wind tunnel time cap on a part, do you still have to pay for the time in the tunnel? Can all changes that need to be made to a part in response to initial data from the tunnel be made in Cologne?

I feel like it would add both time and money to the design process.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

adrianjordan

How advanced is 3D printing in F1 circles?

Could they 3D print parts for the wind tunnel over in Cologne?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jolle
Jolle

mwillems wrote:
19 May 2020, 16:18
diffuser wrote:
19 May 2020, 06:57
Jackles-UK wrote:
18 May 2020, 14:14

It was one of the theories kicking around as to why they missed the terrible issue with the 2018 car but, like you say, it was never officially confirmed by the team. Modern wind tunnels can more accurately simulate the forces when the car is in yaw or experiencing cross-winds and I don’t think the Toyota one can quite as effectively.

The fact that McLaren are only now spending huge money on a brand new, state-of-the-art wind tunnel at the MTC so soon after an issue with correlation only adds fuel to the fire.
Yeah, my understanding was they just missed the tire wake messing the side pod flow in curves. Thought the cap was the trigger for building the tunnel. That it will be harder to build when the ccap is in place.

You probably save money on paying for hotels, air, misc expenses for the crews and transportation costs for pieces. It's easily $1000 per week per person +air.

Plus right now....not certain anyone can travel to Cologne.
Plus the parts have to get to Cologne. If you have paid for the time but realise there is no point wasting your wind tunnel time cap on a part, do you still have to pay for the time in the tunnel? Can all changes that need to be made to a part in response to initial data from the tunnel be made in Cologne?

I feel like it would add both time and money to the design process.
I imagine the regulated wind tunnel time is just the hours the thing is actually blowing or even gathering data. If you rent it, it’s probably a combination of acces, the actual time you rented the place, and the running time.

If they would have their own tunnel, they would probably send an internal bill for the F1 team, as a windtunnel is used more then just F1. Building the thing goes outside the cost cap, but indeed there will be savings on prep work.

djos

adrianjordan wrote:
19 May 2020, 17:56

Great question, I had exactly the same thought.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Maclaren having their own wind tunnel gives them the ability to use it for the road car division and to do advanced engineering work for other organisations outside of the F1 restricted hours. That has the potential to subsidise the costs for the F1 team depending on how they structure their companies.
"In downforce we trust"

Jolle
Jolle

djos wrote:
19 May 2020, 23:59
Maclaren having their own wind tunnel gives them the ability to use it for the road car division and to do advanced engineering work for other organisations outside of the F1 restricted hours. That has the potential to subsidise the costs for the F1 team depending on how they structure their companies.
They already have a windtunnel good enough for those kinds of applications.

What I find surprising that there is no other windtunnel nearby that is suited for their F1 stuff.

diffuser

adrianjordan wrote:

I think it's possible, strength and weight isn't a problem. I presume they have a full fledged garage there. If they do, then security would not be a problem.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
20 May 2020, 02:52
adrianjordan wrote:

I think it's possible, strength and weight isn't a problem. I presume they have a full fledged garage there. If they do, then security would not be a problem.
They were making a big deal about 3d printing parts at the track, at one point. Then you just stopped hearing about it.

Obviously there are size and time limitations with 3D printers, it takes many hours.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
20 May 2020, 09:41
diffuser wrote:
20 May 2020, 02:52
adrianjordan wrote:

They were making a big deal about 3d printing parts at the track, at one point. Then you just stopped hearing about it.

Obviously there are size and time limitations with 3D printers, it takes many hours.
Right, and just because it makes sense, cost wise, to do it at a track before a race weekend in APJ. Doesn't mean it makes sense in cologne.

McG

It's a no brainer for McLaren to build a new wind tunnel. That's why Seidl asked for it and got it.

Therefore the only conclusion is that the person doubting it has no brain.
F1 is dead.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Jolle wrote:
20 May 2020, 00:20
djos wrote:
19 May 2020, 23:59
They already have a windtunnel good enough for those kinds of applications.

What I find surprising that there is no other windtunnel nearby that is suited for their F1 stuff.
With the wider cars and tires for 2017 and the allowed 60% model rather than the standard 50% most teams previously used, weren't most teams having boundary issues because their wind tunnels weren't wide enough?

mwillems

Mclarens 3d printing...
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners ... rformance/

We just heard about it in several articles in 2017, likely due to a partnership with Stratasys. Then heard nothing as far as I can see. Didn't realise that was 3 years ago, seems sooner.

mclaren111

McG wrote:
20 May 2020, 12:55
It's a no brainer for McLaren to build a new wind tunnel. That's why Seidl asked for it and got it.

Therefore the only conclusion is that the person doubting it has no brain.

=D> =D> 8) 8) =D> =D>

Aesop
Aesop

McG wrote:
20 May 2020, 12:55

Therefore the only conclusion is that the person doubting it has a brain.
Corrected

M840TR
M840TR

mwillems wrote:
20 May 2020, 22:45
Mclarens 3d printing...
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners ... rformance/

We just heard about it in several articles in 2017, likely due to a partnership with Stratasys. Then heard nothing as far as I can see. Didn't realise that was 3 years ago, seems sooner.
They did have several 3d printed trial front wings in 2018...