[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

proteus wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 13:28
Andres125sx wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 08:15
mwillems wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 11:28

If you're trying to say that EVs are more popular, there are a lot of niche EV hypercars, none have particularly taken off apart from the Lotus, which at track speed, lasts for 7 minutes before you charge it for several hours. That's not Mclaren. The Porsche Taycan EV has a 62 mile range in optimal conditions or 5 minutes of racing..... Sorry but that is an absolute novelty. Yes it has a range of 200+ miles but I'm sur eit's easy to understand that Mclaren build race cars that can go to the track. If that is all you can do to enjoy your car at the track, it's pretty awful and pointless.
So EVs are a novelty, right. Is that a surprise for anyone?

Not so long ago electric hypercars were just a pipe dream, obviously they´re still some steps behind ICEs hypercars, but they´re catching up quite fast and now even Porsche offer an EV. That should mean something
Those who want a full driving experience of these beasts, will not only want, but they will demand...

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Sorry, but my alarm about self-convicing arguments went crazy with this start of your post :P :mrgreen:

Did you do a survey between hypercar users? Obviously no, so you have no idea about what they want, talk about yourself, do not project your opinion on people you don´t know

proteus wrote:
Fully electric cars will be a collectable item for those that allready dont know how to spend their wastly amounts of money and need something to fill the number 100 slot in the garage

[...]

And petrol fueled cars will be still a desirable item, even when the tide changes since they will represent even bigger exlusivety for rich people (in terms of: "look at me you ordinary people, you cant own a petrol fueled car anymore, but i can").
So ICE hypercars will become what EV hypercars are today, a weird vehicle only for collectors

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don´t take this too seriously mate, hypercars are marvels of engineering for people who in a vast mayority will never use a half of its potential, so it doesn´t matter if ICE or EV

diffuser

Macklaren wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 14:46
Ground Effect wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 10:04
So with the current situation of things at McLaren, it’s not unlikely that the inability to test a 2018 car was down to cost saving, not Renault’s refusal to supply.
Doubt it. Renault would have made that VERY clear then. Also, McL rented Silverstone for 3 days to run an F3 car...can't be cheap
35K in pounds for a weekend. A New OLD PU would have cost them alot more than that. Something like 1 - 2 million pounds.

proteus

Re: McLaren MCL35

ncx wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 15:22
proteus wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 14:30
What is this rainbow about on the halo? :x :? :shock:
Covid-related F1 initiative:

"Known as #WeRaceAsOne, the campaign is a thank you from F1 to key workers and everyone else who has had to endure COVID-19.
An F1 "rainbow" logo has been designed, incorporating the colours of all 10 teams."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-d ... s/4810189/
Thank you for explanation.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

Andres125sx wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 18:10
proteus wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Not so long ago electric hypercars were just a pipe dream, obviously they´re still some steps behind ICEs hypercars, but they´re catching up quite fast and now even Porsche offer an EV. That should mean something
Those who want a full driving experience of these beasts, will not only want, but they will demand...

Sorry, but my alarm about self-convicing arguments went crazy with this start of your post :P :mrgreen:

Did you do a survey between hypercar users? Obviously no, so you have no idea about what they want, talk about yourself, do not project your opinion on people you don´t know

proteus wrote:
Fully electric cars will be a collectable item for those that allready dont know how to spend their wastly amounts of money and need something to fill the number 100 slot in the garage

[...]

And petrol fueled cars will be still a desirable item, even when the tide changes since they will represent even bigger exlusivety for rich people (in terms of: "look at me you ordinary people, you cant own a petrol fueled car anymore, but i can").
So ICE hypercars will become what EV hypercars are today, a weird vehicle only for collectors

Don´t take this too seriously mate, hypercars are marvels of engineering for people who in a vast mayority will never use a half of its potential, so it doesn´t matter if ICE or EV
I didnt take nothing for bad, i only explained my view and opinion and i fully respect your view of the matter. Time will tell who was right. Maybe it will take 100 years and neither of us wont be able to see what will happen :lol:

PS: Hypercars allready are only for collectors, i hardly doubt there are any average Joes with a standard job and hard earned money driving arround in brand new Mclaren or a Porsche :wink:
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Jolle

proteus wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 19:56
Andres125sx wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 18:10
proteus wrote:

proteus wrote:

[...]

I didnt take nothing for bad, i only explained my view and opinion and i fully respect your view of the matter. Time will tell who was right. Maybe it will take 100 years and neither of us wont be able to see what will happen :lol:

PS: Hypercars allready are only for collectors, i hardly doubt there are any average Joes with a standard job and hard earned money driving arround in brand new Mclaren or a Porsche :wink:
I think there is a misconception about the term hypercar as quoted in the article, it’s the P1, F1 and Enzo. Not the 720s or 911 GT2, those are sport cars or in some cases super cars. As the first wil be sold as very limited items and mostly even cost money to be sold, the latter are produced in the thousands and are used or able to be used as a second car, more than once doing over a 100k km without any trouble.

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 19:08
Macklaren wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 14:46
Ground Effect wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 10:04
So with the current situation of things at McLaren, it’s not unlikely that the inability to test a 2018 car was down to cost saving, not Renault’s refusal to supply.
Doubt it. Renault would have made that VERY clear then. Also, McL rented Silverstone for 3 days to run an F3 car...can't be cheap
35K in pounds for a weekend. A New OLD PU would have cost them alot more than that. Something like 1 - 2 million pounds.
Interestingly, Marko claims Renault used a 2020 engine in a 2018 car. I don’t know how he would have that information, is it even allowed?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

cbbcisace

Looks like McLaren have got some increased sponsorship deals. More BAT, Estrella, FXPro, CNBC and DarkTrace logos
Last edited by cbbcisace on 22 Jun 2020, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

djos

I love that colour scheme, looks stunning!
"In downforce we trust"

RonDennis

I still believe it was the plan all along. It made no sense that they couldn't get any sponsors for both sides of the front wing. Looks much better this way.

adrianjordan

djos wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 23:46
I love that colour scheme, looks stunning!
I still prefer last year's.... 😝
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

cbbcisace

RonDennis wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 23:56
I still believe it was the plan all along. It made no sense that they couldn't get any sponsors for both sides of the front wing. Looks much better this way.
Yeah the Mission Foods announcement was going to happen before the race that got stopped but the others that have taken space is good. I’d move some around a little but happy that the car is not empty anymore 😂

mwillems

Andres125sx wrote:
mwillems wrote:

If you're trying to say that EVs are more popular, there are a lot of niche EV hypercars, none have particularly taken off apart from the Lotus, which at track speed, lasts for 7 minutes before you charge it for several hours. That's not Mclaren. The Porsche Taycan EV has a 62 mile range in optimal conditions or 5 minutes of racing..... Sorry but that is an absolute novelty. Yes it has a range of 200+ miles but I'm sur eit's easy to understand that Mclaren build race cars that can go to the track. If that is all you can do to enjoy your car at the track, it's pretty awful and pointless.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying not having an EV right now won't deter investors.

I linked in one of my previous posts, Porsche will not be doing anything in hypercar market that is fully EV until after 2025, for the same reasons Mclaren stated, they are too heavy. Whilst they can create beasts of power, they are not particularly agile.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

FW17 wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 17:05
mwillems wrote:

In fact having just read more about EV hypercars, several mainstream manufacturers have all said battery tech wont be ready until 2025 at the earliest to start making EV the norm. So for me this argument is full of holes, I'm sorry.

Mclaren are absolutely fine without EV as I suggested 23 (mad up number) posts back...... :mrgreen:

But why are we talking about this??

This is Porsche agreeing with Mclarens current view of EV hypercars:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/moto ... ty-porsche

Some facts - a Tesla Model 3 performance is faster on track than an M3

A Nio EP9 is 2 seconds slower than a Mclaren p1

Is the p1 the lightest car on the road? What is this light weight philosophy Mclaren preaches?

The P1 with 16 gallons of fuel will manage how many miles on track? 2mpg to 5mpg? so what is the range on track?

You said a taycan cannot last 5 min on track; that would mean it wouldn't complete the Nordschleife, but it did. How?
When it uses it's full electric power, power can be limited to extend a range.

In terms of the 2 to 5 mpg... yes, but you just pour more juice in and 60 seconds later you are off, not waiting for what, one, two four, eight hours? I don't know but even 1 hours is long enough in that circumstance.

Re the times... I'm not comparing power, I don't understand this argument? I'm just saying that there are some very fast EVs out there - I posted a single link of a Model S P100D showing that for £100k less you can get a car that is of a very high quality and speed - and yet Mclarens sales have soared. I don't see the relevance of the different speed comparisons. I'm talking about the viability of Mclarens sports car and super car sales amid the rise of EV cars.

Anyway, this seems to have really created a few pages of interesting discussion, but I was never trying to rubbish EV, I actually love EV, it's just to say that it's not really necessary (or the right time) for Mclaren to have a fully electric powertrain yet. It will be, inevitably, just not now.

mwillems

cbbcisace wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 23:40
Looks like McLaren have got some increased sponsorship deals. More BAT, Estrella, FXPro, CNBC and DarkTrace logos
The retention of Coca-Cola for those who were discussing it earlier in the year.

_cerber1