[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

the EDGE wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:38
Andres125sx wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 19:48
the EDGE wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 18:49
With Ferrari faltering McLaren must set their sights on 3rd and aim to take the fight to RB. Anything less is selling themselves short

It’s a tall order for sure but it is achievable with hard work & determination
If we assume McLaren perfomance in this track will be the same for the rest of the season then yes. But if you ask me I´ll say that´s a bold assumption :mrgreen:
Well for a start they ran well Last year at the first 6 opening races of this year, but it’s more than that.

Ferrari have issues and it’s that which has handed them an opportunity. Not just them, but RP too

Ferrari don’t just have 1 issue, they have 3. Power, correlation & driver. Seb is all over the place right now and that relationship is only going to get sourer, the engine power is not an easy fix with restrictions & they need to fix the correlation before they finalise the upgrade

RP’s car looks good, in fact so good it looks like a Mercedes, but it’s already shown it’s not. They are unlikely to be able to develop at the same rate as McLaren because the idea of the copycat car was to allow them to concentrate on the new regs, plans may well have changed a while back now, but certainly not before the end of March and there’s been a period of shut-down since so I doubt they are too far along with this

If they keep their --- together they can capitalise on this while they have the opportunity & thanks their lucky stars (touch wood!)
Those are good arguments, specially the part I bolded :mrgreen:

Even so I´m skeptical about McLaren fighting Ferrari for the whole season, but now I´m a bit more optimistic :D

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Andres125sx wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 18:49
With Ferrari faltering McLaren must set their sights on 3rd and aim to take the fight to RB. Anything less is selling themselves short

It’s a tall order for sure but it is achievable with hard work & determination
If we assume McLaren perfomance in this track will be the same for the rest of the season then yes. But if you ask me I´ll say that´s a bold assumption :mrgreen:
I’m with you... Still a lot to play and will be on some tracks that weren’t too kind to the MCL34 last year... But, that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate the hell out of this one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Macklaren
Macklaren

Andres125sx wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 19:37
Macklaren wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 11:41
Andres125sx wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 11:19
Keep calm, do not overreact, Ferrari will solve their problems

And keep in mind Lecrerc finished 2nd despite the poor grid position and problems, so they may be far from Mercedes, but that does not mean McLaren can fight them
Without the safety cars, McLaren would have comfortably finished ahead of Ferrari
Not sure what are your arguments to claim this. Carlos didn´t pass Lecrerc even when he tried, and Lecrerc passed Lando on track, and then passed Perez much faster than Lando, so he finished 3 seconds ahead of Lando. SCs didn´t play any role on this
Both before and after the safety cars, LeClerc was holding station behind Lando and passed him almost entirely due to Lando's mistake in his attempt to pass Perez. And LeClerc likely wouldn't have got that close to Lando if it wasn't for the SC. I know this is speculation yes, but last year, the Ferrari would have casually driven past the MCL34.

Oh and Vettel didn't get anywhere near Carlos until the SC

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
Without the safety cars, McLaren would have comfortably finished ahead of Ferrari
Not sure what are your arguments to claim this. Carlos didn´t pass Lecrerc even when he tried, and Lecrerc passed Lando on track, and then passed Perez much faster than Lando, so he finished 3 seconds ahead of Lando. SCs didn´t play any role on this
Both before and after the safety cars, LeClerc was holding station behind Lando and passed him almost entirely due to Lando's mistake in his attempt to pass Perez. And LeClerc likely wouldn't have got that close to Lando if it wasn't for the SC. I know this is speculation yes, but last year, the Ferrari would have casually driven past the MCL34.

Vettel was struggling a lot yesterday, so probably not a fair comparison... But yes, the MCL35 was yesterday at least on par with the Ferrari’s (and you could argue that even a bit better at portions of the GP).

Ferrari is now expected to bring a portion or all of their upgrades for this weekend, it will be interesting for them to see how much they can improve and have a back to back comparison at the same track and for Mclaren to see if they can still mix it up with their upgraded car... That will be very telling for the rest of the season probably

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Ferrari working flat out to bring forward some, if not all the components of its revised aerodynamic package to this weekends Styrian GP in Austria. So things may be tougher for McLaren, but we’ll see how it goes.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

What Mclaren will have this week which they have been short on for a while is (deserved) confidence. Not worth anything in its self, but could alter their approach to some things, including the drivers.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Ferrari will bring most of their upgrade package, that was initially planned for Hungary, this weekend. Let's see what this means. Hopefully the McLaren updates can allow them to keep fighting for that P3 spot.

JRindt

Andres125sx wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:33
JRindt wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:14
Forum battles are just an extension of the on track battles. I think Andres125sx is the first Ferrari team/driver supporter in the Mclaren thread in last 5-6 years. At least I don’t remember anyone other than RB-Honda and Renault supporters these last few years, in addition to the neutral ones of course. This just reinforces who Mclaren’s competitors are this season.

PS: Andres, I’m just assuming you’re a Ferrari/ Leclerc supporter based on your posts. Apologies if I’m mistaken.
Yes you´re mistaken, completely :wink:

I don´t support any particular driver since Alonso departure. I follow Carlos progress, but far from a hardcore fan. I also like watching Lewis, Max, Charles, Ricciardo...

About teams, Ferrari never was my favourite, not even in Alonso era. I do prefer McLaren and even RBR better than Ferrari. I like RBR philosophy, but hate RBR drivers managment philosophy. About McLaren, I´ve always like it, but lately it´s growing on a bit more, specially since Ron is no longer in the team. To me he´s the main responsible of 2007 disaster, not Alonso or Hamilton, it was Ron (lack of) managment :-k
I was second guessing all along, since you were from Madrid :D

JRindt

I don’t know how effective the upgrade package of Ferrari will be, but I’m guessing it won’t be a complete game changer — at least initially. Binotto himself said, out of the 1 second they were losing to merc, 0.3 was from cornering and 0.7 on straights.
Time lost on straights is a combo of engine power and drag, and that will not be easy to claw back.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... wznOa.html

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

JRindt wrote:I don’t know how effective the upgrade package of Ferrari will be, but I’m guessing it won’t be a complete game changer — at least initially. Binotto himself said, out of the 1 second they were losing to merc, 0.3 was from chassis and 0.7 engine. That will not be easy to claw back.
It will be interesting to know how much they will improve... Their corner speeds were good, they seem to have a too draggy car, top speed from the likes of Alfa Romeo weren’t too bad.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Everyone needs to remember that McLaren stated that the MCL35 is similar to the 34 in its relative strengths and weaknesses. This track suited us quite well last year and it seems the same this year. I have a feeling that depending on how the update packages work, we may not be as quick relative to the field at other tracks.

Mclarensenna

Does anybody have any new updates when the new Mclaren wind tunnel will be operational? Has Covid delayed the construction of it at all ?

genarro
genarro

Mclarensenna wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 04:37
Does anybody have any new updates when the new Mclaren wind tunnel will be operational? Has Covid delayed the construction of it at all ?
It was put on hold. Seidl said that he is pushing to start the construction again but Mclaren were hit hard by the pandemic. Mclaren are going to sell a small portion of their f1 team to an investor in a bid to get more cash into the team, so they can continue the construction of the win tunnel and the simulator.

Andres125sx

Macklaren wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 21:00
Andres125sx wrote:
Macklaren wrote:

As you say, Lando made a mistake trying to pass Perez. That is what allowed Lecrerc to get close and pass, not any SC.

Anycase it was more of the driver than the car, I can agree with that if that was your point

Andres125sx

JRindt wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 21:47
Andres125sx wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:33
JRindt wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:14
Forum battles are just an extension of the on track battles. I think Andres125sx is the first Ferrari team/driver supporter in the Mclaren thread in last 5-6 years. At least I don’t remember anyone other than RB-Honda and Renault supporters these last few years, in addition to the neutral ones of course. This just reinforces who Mclaren’s competitors are this season.

PS: Andres, I’m just assuming you’re a Ferrari/ Leclerc supporter based on your posts. Apologies if I’m mistaken.
Yes you´re mistaken, completely :wink:

I don´t support any particular driver since Alonso departure. I follow Carlos progress, but far from a hardcore fan. I also like watching Lewis, Max, Charles, Ricciardo...

About teams, Ferrari never was my favourite, not even in Alonso era. I do prefer McLaren and even RBR better than Ferrari. I like RBR philosophy, but hate RBR drivers managment philosophy. About McLaren, I´ve always like it, but lately it´s growing on a bit more, specially since Ron is no longer in the team. To me he´s the main responsible of 2007 disaster, not Alonso or Hamilton, it was Ron (lack of) managment :-k
I was second guessing all along, since you were from Madrid :D
And what makes you think people from Madrid are Lecrerc/Ferrari supporters? You know Madrid is from Spain, Lecrerc is from Monaco and Ferrari is from Italy, right?