[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Big Tea wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 21:41
Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 21:38
Question what is this Scenario 7? Second time I hear that Scenario 7 and the car suddenly flies. Is it possible to make Scenario 7 possible for all the race?
Its the one next to suicide bomb. Only use in desperation
=D> =D> :lol: :lol: =D> =D>

mclaren111

:lol: :lol:

diffuser

Sevach wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:22
diffuser wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:08
Dipesh1995 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 21:47

Pretty sure its an engine mode or perhaps battery deployment related.

Nope due to additional wear especially as the PU components need to last several races.
I agree, my guess would be with regards to max % of battery charge. If they charge to 100% and discharge, the battery would not last as long. To extend battery life they probably only charge to 70%. Then when they need an extra push, they flick the engine mode to allow the charge to 100%.
Since they only use it when the race is about to end, i'm assuming it's maximum deployment with very little harvesting (harvesting slightly harms your braking).

If that theory is correct Mclaren can't use that during most of the race or risk being left with no battery for the subsequent laps.
#1 Only hearing about it at race end, isn't the same only using it then.
#2 why would harvesting under braking decrease perfomance? That doesn't make sense to me.
#3 Most of the harvesting comes from the MGU-H. So I think I'm blowing my own battery idea out of the water. They can Charge the battery and drive the MGU-K with the MGU-H but I think you're onto something. It probably has something to do with trying to get the MGU-K to last the year. You're allowed 3 for the year in 2020.

diffuser

JRindt wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 06:45
diffuser wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:13
FittingMechanics wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 21:54

It might mean that Renault has insider knowledge. If a couple of parts weren't visible by photographs yet Racing Point was able to copy them, it would be proof of either spying or copying.

RacingPoint now needs to show how they developed the part.
Wish you'd stop with the copying. I, like you was outraged at first. The FIA have looked at RP plans and compared the to Merc 2019 and they decided that they didn't just buy the plans from Merc. It is legal.

No point in just dragging it out all year..
Well, what did you expect FIA to do? Disqualify RP and race with 18 cars? RP probably knew F1 and FIA can’t afford to lose one more team and pushed the boundaries that little bit.

They did hit Ferrari pretty hard didn't they?

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:54
If they deem the Pink Mercedes illegal what about the points they got in the first race? Remember that Mclaren paid a heavy fine 12 years back from that Spygate and that is as equivalent as a Spygate since the Mercedes Technical team helped them copy last years car without saying anything to the FIA.
That's a sticky wicket. It's not like they can redesign the brake ducts for the next race ....Maybe for Silverstone

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 22:14
Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:54
If they deem the Pink Mercedes illegal what about the points they got in the first race? Remember that Mclaren paid a heavy fine 12 years back from that Spygate and that is as equivalent as a Spygate since the Mercedes Technical team helped them copy last years car without saying anything to the FIA.
That's a sticky wicket. It's not like they can redesign the brake ducts for the next race ....Maybe for Silverstone
They can probably redesign them, but not very efficiently. And, next race is one of the hottest.
By redesign I mean alter the drawing enough to make it different rather than a good piece.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

I don't get this "copy" argument, people copy ideas in F1 all the time, sometimes almost exactly. Designers like Newey stand in front of rival cars with notepads. Teams hire photographers to get other cars secrets

Ideas on the most efficient shapes converge over time until the next set of regulations. So they have done it more than anyone ever before, yes, but they haven't actually done anything different to what people have done during every season of F1. People copy and nobody drew a line to say you can't copy too much, because you can't do it reliably I don't think. The outcome is too subjective.

It's massively irritating that they have got ahead of us but it is what it is. We can't just throw the toys out the pram simply because a team is faster. If they copied then they will have a harder time upgrading, we can get our heads down and push on.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Darth-Piekus

Who said they are faster than us. So far Mclaren has beaten them badly in the first race and if it wasn't for the bad pitstop on the second race we would have managed it again.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 23:03
Who said they are faster than us. So far Mclaren has beaten them badly in the first race and if it wasn't for the bad pitstop on the second race we would have managed it again.
Obviously it's a subjective opinion but I think there are those like me who thing that the RP is consistently faster on the straights as well as corners. Not necessarily by a big margin, but it seems like they have an edge.
Sainz lost 4 seconds at the pit stop and he couldn't progress too much further.

Perez went from 17th to almost 4th, being faster than Albons Red Bull before he touched. That is mighty fast and in stark contrast to Sainz' race. Can Mclaren do that consistently over a race? I haven't seen evidence to suggest it can so far, we seem to have been in the right place to race hard for the final few laps and pick up the pieces .

SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:Who said they are faster than us. So far Mclaren has beaten them badly in the first race and if it wasn't for the bad pitstop on the second race we would have managed it again.
They are faster than us, at least they were yesterday in Austria... Look at the pace of the cars during the race and it shows that their pace was better than Mclaren’s.

Mclaren made a good strategy call with Norris and where lucky that Stroll was help up by RIC in the second stint, as well as Perez running for 2 laps with “no front wing”.

The margins aren’t huge and that’s good, but their pace is better than Mclaren’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:I don't get this "copy" argument, people copy ideas in F1 all the time, sometimes almost exactly. Designers like Newey stand in front of rival cars with notepads. Teams hire photographers to get other cars secrets

Ideas on the most efficient shapes converge over time until the next set of regulations. So they have done it more than anyone ever before, yes, but they haven't actually done anything different to what people have done during every season of F1. People copy and nobody drew a line to say you can't copy too much, because you can't do it reliably I don't think. The outcome is too subjective.

It's massively irritating that they have got ahead of us but it is what it is. We can't just throw the toys out the pram simply because a team is faster. If they copied then they will have a harder time upgrading, we can get our heads down and push on.
Mclaren’s not complaining about Racing Point... Some Mclaren Fans may be, but not the team.

The team has your same mentality, it is what it is and they are focusing on themselves.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 23:46
mwillems wrote:I don't get this "copy" argument, people copy ideas in F1 all the time, sometimes almost exactly. Designers like Newey stand in front of rival cars with notepads. Teams hire photographers to get other cars secrets

Mclaren’s not complaining about Racing Point... Some Mclaren Fans may be, but not the team.

The team has your same mentality, it is what it is and they are focusing on themselves.

I say "we" and refer to "we" on the forum who are upset about Racing Point, not the team. Seidl is doing a masterful job of quiet efficiency, affecting and worrying about only Mclaren.

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I say "we" and refer to "we" on the forum who are upset about Racing Point, not the team. Seidl is doing a masterful job of quiet efficiency, affecting and worrying about only Mclaren.
Oh... Didn’t realize that, but not all of “us” are against what Racing Point did, at least not me :)

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 00:07
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Oh... Didn’t realize that, but not all of “us” are against what Racing Point did, at least not me :)

Yes but the preceding remarks were from individuals talking about what Racing Point did, so I was hoping that context was clear and that it was a general reply to those who are upset, and that those who aren't could easily discern that pass right by as if they were Sergio Perez :wink:

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 00:07
mwillems wrote: I say "we" and refer to "we" on the forum who are upset about Racing Point, not the team. Seidl is doing a masterful job of quiet efficiency, affecting and worrying about only Mclaren.

Yes but the preceding remarks were from individuals talking about what Racing Point did, so I was hoping that context was clear and that it was a general reply to those who are upset, and that those who aren't could easily discern that pass right by as if they were Sergio Perez :wink:

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk