[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

One car P4 and one car P11 on the grid would be perfect!

Darth-Piekus

So did we bring that update package here?

McFAN
McFAN

Darth-Piekus wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 19:15
So did we bring that update package here?
You mean this one ?

Big Tea

'THINK' I hear a complaint of flow detaching when the inside wheel was lifting on the curb and not reattaching, but may have got that wrong.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Darth-Piekus

So a full package then. Not sure where the package stands but we might be closer this time.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Interesting... Definitely losing most of the time in S3 all the way from the braking point of Hangar Straight... Nevertheless, S2 looks very competitive and that spells well for the race

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McFAN
McFAN

From Teamstream.

ANDREA STELLA, Racing Director
“We had a busy programme for this Friday, which opens the double-header at Silverstone, with some aerodynamic upgrades to validate. Happily, the circuit stayed dry and, barring some minor bodywork damage, we didn’t see any major problems and could complete the programme we’d planned. We could see the new parts are working, and I want to thank the whole team for the effort that went into designing and manufacturing those parts. It’s a constant effort to improve the car, which is very important because the midfield is clearly very tight.

“The track was tricky today with a blustery wind and, like everyone else, it was tough to extract the maximum out of the car given the conditions. We expect the remainder of the weekend to be a little cooler; we have to be prepared to deal with all conditions and hopefully once again be able to compete for a place in Q3, to give ourselves the best chance of scoring good points on Sunday.”

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

According to Stella, the upgrades worked as expected, which is always encouraging...

ANDREA STELLA, Racing Director

“We had a busy programme for this Friday, which opens the double-header at Silverstone, with some aerodynamic upgrades to validate. Happily, the circuit stayed dry and, barring some minor bodywork damage, we didn’t see any major problems and could complete the programme we’d planned. We could see the new parts are working, and I want to thank the whole team for the effort that went into designing and manufacturing those parts. It’s a constant effort to improve the car, which is very important because the midfield is clearly very tight.

“The track was tricky today with a blustery wind and, like everyone else, it was tough to extract the maximum out of the car given the conditions. We expect the remainder of the weekend to be a little cooler; we have to be prepared to deal with all conditions and hopefully once again be able to compete for a place in Q3, to give ourselves the best chance of scoring good points on Sunday.”

Darth-Piekus

That is good news. Last years car also accepted upgrades perfectly and managed to outdevelop the competition very fast. I expect if things go well for the same to happen this year. The question is though do we target for 2nd to 3rd best team this year or by the end of next year considering cars won't change at all in the winter except ours getting a better engine.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:That is good news. Last years car also accepted upgrades perfectly and managed to outdevelop the competition very fast. I expect if things go well for the same to happen this year. The question is though do we target for 2nd to 3rd best team this year or by the end of next year considering cars won't change at all in the winter except ours getting a better engine.
The target is still probably 4th... There is still a considerable gap to both RBR and RP at the moment... And Ferrari will also be fighting for good points even with their current problems.

Darth-Piekus

What did RP change between Austria and Hungary to have gained 1 second in lap time? Also are they legal? How did they manage to fully copy a championship winning car and make it work without anyone telling them?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Let’s leave that out of the thread. It’s frustrating to see copying working but if it’s allowed then it’s allowed. Its a feat of engineering if they have done it by themselves.

As a general observation:
Understanding your package is extremely important. Learning how it responds, and set it up takes time

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:What did RP change between Austria and Hungary to have gained 1 second in lap time? Also are they legal? How did they manage to fully copy a championship winning car and make it work without anyone telling them?
From a parts perspective, they didn’t change much... Nevertheless, just the fact that they are learning more about the car and how to better set it up will give them additional pace with every race (even if not a lot of upgrades come over)... Regarding the lap time difference between those 2 tracks, the layout of the tracks also plays a considerable role, one track can maximize your strengths and minimize your weaknesses (Austria for Mclaren for example), while other tracks can have the opposite effect (China for Mclaren for example) if we add that we have different teams with different strengths/weaknesses then the gaps can increase or shorten based on where they are racing... The gaps aren’t static.

The car is legal... The issues with their brake ducts is more of an interpretation of what defines “designed” by you and are only an issue because this years those parts are considered “Listed Parts, if not there wouldn’t be any questioning on them.

How did they manage to copy a championship winning car? Performance on car is derived from 3 main components: Engine, Aero and Mechanical Grip... The aero is fairly easy to copy since it’s open to the world to see, almost every aero part (aside from the bottom side of the floor) is photographed in large detail by the teams and journalists, so that isn’t the hard part... But for the aero to work properly, it has to be matched to the Mechanical Part of the car... In this case, RP buys from Mercedes the front and rear suspension, therefore they have the same Mechanical potential as Mercedes did last year and a good integration... Finally, they are using the same engine as Mercedes (actually, an upgraded version of the engine in the W10)... That’s why they could not only copy the car, but extract performance out of it... A team with a different engine and/or different suspension would probably struggle to extract the same amount of performance just copying the Aero parts.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 19:54
Interesting... Definitely losing most of the time in S3 all the way from the braking point of Hangar Straight... Nevertheless, S2 looks very competitive and that spells well for the race

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202007 ... d20902.jpg

not sure what to make of that. One from quali would be better. That shows sainz getting on the brakes early on a few occasions. Doesn't show anything consistent. Some slow corners we're slower ,some RP is slower. Maybe the wind playing a part.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 22:22
SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 19:54

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202007 ... d20902.jpg

not sure what to make of that. One from quali would be better. That shows sainz getting on the brakes early on a few occasions. Doesn't show anything consistent. Some slow corners we're slower ,some RP is slower. Maybe the wind playing a part.
I haven’t seen his qualy sim lap, but I was following on TeamStream and after the lap Carlos said he hit quite a bit of traffic. I don’t know at which point or if it made much of a difference in any case.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.