[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 17:05
Unless you are sarcastic that is blasphemy. Mansell and Patrese are much better drivers that have driven on a more competitive era with harder to control cars and on an era who drivers played most of the role.

Amen... Hamilton is definitely not better than Mansell....

Mansell89
Mansell89

Jackles-UK wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 04:34
Both cars on the clean side of the grid on grippier tyres off the line than the cars around them should make for an interesting/exciting first lap. Race pace, particularly from Carlos, was excellent on Friday so that’s positive but if the soft tyres wear like they did I’d be staggered if it’s possible on a one stop, they were completely falling apart in 6-8 laps. A two stop S/M/M maybe a good option seeing as pitstop lost time is one of the smallest deficits on the calendar so multiple stops is less painful.
I agree

I think McLaren 2 stopping with 2 x medium compounds will put some people under huge pressure at the end of the race especially those who will have hurt the hard tyre- specifically Red Bull we believe.

search

Mansell89 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 09:59
Jackles-UK wrote:
Both cars on the clean side of the grid on grippier tyres off the line than the cars around them should make for an interesting/exciting first lap. Race pace, particularly from Carlos, was excellent on Friday so that’s positive but if the soft tyres wear like they did I’d be staggered if it’s possible on a one stop, they were completely falling apart in 6-8 laps. A two stop S/M/M maybe a good option seeing as pitstop lost time is one of the smallest deficits on the calendar so multiple stops is less painful.
I agree

I think McLaren 2 stopping with 2 x medium compounds will put some people under huge pressure at the end of the race especially those who will have hurt the hard tyre- specifically Red Bull we believe.
McLaren only has one set of Mediums left for the race

McFAN
McFAN

Zak Brown interview with autosport.com.

"Brown says that plans to improve the McLaren's facilities, which have been put on hold, are now back on the agenda.

"We're moving forward. Everything that we need for the future is on plan.

"We've turned projects back on. So we've got a timeline and very comfortable that we've got the investment in what we need in the right places in the right timeline.

"So we're coming out of COVID. And now moving forward with our, our master plan, if you want to call it that."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15098 ... al-setback

GREAT NEWS =D> =D>

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

think we are in quite a good position now,” said Brown in quotes reported by Autosport.

“The bad news is behind us, as far as it relates to all the stuff that played out the last couple of months. We are financially healthy.

“I think we are benefiting from being aggressive and playing offence when COVID hit, as far as recognising the severity of the issues it was going to cause for the sport and for us, so we ran towards the problems to try to address them quickly so we can kind of try and turn the page commercially.

“We’ve just announced Gulf Oil and IQONIQ, we have a couple of announcements coming up, so we are now exactly where we want to be.

“I think post-COVID, not that we are in a post-COVID era yet, but looking forward I think we are sitting on a better business model for F1 and for McLaren for the next journey of F1.

“We are in quite a good spot and spirits are high.”
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Marc.W

Won't be able to see the livery soon enough with all these sponsors

McL-H
McL-H

search wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 10:08
Mansell89 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 09:59
Jackles-UK wrote:
I agree

McLaren only has one set of Mediums left for the race

That’s a shame. Starting on softs gives them a huge disadvantage. Especially since they have only 1 set of mediums left. If they’d be able to have a good start, then they might have to sacrifice one car to hold up everyone so that the other one can break free and build a gap. A safety car around lap 8 would play into our hands this afternoon.

It will be a tough race. Let’s see what happens.

billamend
billamend

McL-H wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 12:00
Starting on softs gives them a huge disadvantage.
Is there any evidence for that?

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 05:35
mwillems wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 16:40
fouad1979 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 16:29

Yes ur right but do u think that mercedes advantage is only power for me no their aero is very impressive
I completely agree, but I do think we will be closer to them. Obviously RP can change their car so they will be up there too, but it will be interesting to see how close we can get to RB. This year is a development war through the whole season to get a strong car ready for next year. RP will just buy the new bits if that loophole doesn't get closed, but I'd like to think it will.
Well if you go by the fastest laps mapping between RP and McL in FP2 a few pages back, it didn't show that McL had any lacking of power. All the time was being lost under braking and slow corners. It wasn't a definative mapping but a hint.

Also the first year we switched from Honda to Renault we went backwards. Ok, alot of personel have changed but it's easy to get something wrong when you increase the variables that you're manipulating.
What I dont know from the graph is if they are able run a little more downforce because of a power advantage.

Not saying that is the case, but my feeling is that it is at least a more efficient unit and able to complete a race with less fuel and lighter at the start of the race.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

McL-H
McL-H

billamend wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 12:35
McL-H wrote:
They only last 6-8 laps. McLaren are forced to stop twice. While starting on Mediums you could do a 1-stop for Hards. Being locked in on a 2-stop strategy is a disadvantage by itself. If you think otherwise, please elaborate.

billamend
billamend

McL-H wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 12:47
billamend wrote:
McL-H wrote:
They only last 6-8 laps. McLaren are forced to stop twice. While starting on Mediums you could do a 1-stop for Hards. Being locked in on a 2-stop strategy is a disadvantage by itself. If you think otherwise, please elaborate.
I was asking because yesterday I read somewhere that Pirelli was recommending a 2-stop strategy. Was not doubting you, just genuinely curious.

Edit: not quickest, but you can do Soft-Hard.

the EDGE
the EDGE

billamend wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 13:07
McL-H wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 12:47
billamend wrote:

I was asking because yesterday I read somewhere that Pirelli was recommending a 2-stop strategy. Was not doubting you, just genuinely curious.

Edit: not quickest, but you can do Soft-Hard.
https://preview.redd.it/kf1arflsake51. ... c868978037
Air & track temps will be Lowest of the 3 days today. Max 20’c for air With cloud cover

That should help the softs last. Starting on the mediums may give you more options and stop you getting stuck behind slower late stoppers but I don’t think tyres will be a big factor

mclaren111

cbbcisace
cbbcisace

Ground Effect wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 11:18
think we are in quite a good position now,” said Brown in quotes reported by Autosport.

“The bad news is behind us, as far as it relates to all the stuff that played out the last couple of months. We are financially healthy.

“I think we are benefiting from being aggressive and playing offence when COVID hit, as far as recognising the severity of the issues it was going to cause for the sport and for us, so we ran towards the problems to try to address them quickly so we can kind of try and turn the page commercially.

“We’ve just announced Gulf Oil and IQONIQ, we have a couple of announcements coming up, so we are now exactly where we want to be.

“I think post-COVID, not that we are in a post-COVID era yet, but looking forward I think we are sitting on a better business model for F1 and for McLaren for the next journey of F1.

I wonder if these are bigger deals left to be announce now. All good tho, I don’t think I’ve seen a McLaren with more sponsors on.

mwillems

cbbcisace wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 13:53
Ground Effect wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 11:18

I wonder if these are bigger deals left to be announce now. All good tho, I don’t think I’ve seen a McLaren with more sponsors on.
It really feels like it is coming together for the new budget cap and that not only will the team meet the budget, but be profitable as well. This isn't just great for the team but also for Automotive.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.