[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Carlos after first day of testing:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darth-Piekus

163 laps. I don't remember McLaren to have done so many laps on any opening day. Shows that there is reliability to the car and the engine. As for the speed I don't think we have shown our true speed yet. I think we are closer to the Mercedes than what today's times showed and I do believe that we might have closed the gap significantly but I can't say for 100 sure.

Sanchit f1fan

=D> McLaren running in the style like Mercedes run last year or any other big team run on the harder compounds which is great

SmallSoldier

There seems to be a little bit of concern in regards to what the B-Teams can do this season... Understandbly if they will manage to be close to the lap times the Top 3 were doing in 2019.

From RaceFans, Carlos comments in regards to the B-Teams copying the top 3:

“A team like McLaren always has pressure to deliver,” he said. “McLaren is one of the best teams in the history of Formula 1 and we know that fourth, fifth is still not where McLaren wants to be.

“But McLaren also knows that this is still very early on this new project that we have put ourselves and we are looking at the medium-longer term target of fighting for the top positions again. It’s very difficult to say at the moment.

“You can see some of the smaller teams getting a lot of help from the bigger teams. So if they come here with a car that is very similar to last year’s Red Bull or to last year’s Mercedes, it is going to be very difficult for McLaren to do that [big] a step.
“So we don’t depend on what the others are doing. We depend on what we can do. And at the moment we can only focus on ourselves, keep doing the steps that we’re doing. Like the ’35 car hitting the track and doing a lot of laps, and feeling the car already a step better than last year on the first day, and opening windows of development.

“That’s the only thing we can do at the moment and we cannot think in what the others are doing.”

JRindt

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 20:15
There seems to be a little bit of concern in regards to what the B-Teams can do this season... Understandbly if they will manage to be close to the lap times the Top 3 were doing in 2019.

“A team like McLaren always has pressure to deliver,” he said. “McLaren is one of the best teams in the history of Formula 1 and we know that fourth, fifth is still not where McLaren wants to be.

“But McLaren also knows that this is still very early on this new project that we have put ourselves and we are looking at the medium-longer term target of fighting for the top positions again. It’s very difficult to say at the moment.

“You can see some of the smaller teams getting a lot of help from the bigger teams. So if they come here with a car that is very similar to last year’s Red Bull or to last year’s Mercedes, it is going to be very difficult for McLaren to do that [big] a step.
“So we don’t depend on what the others are doing. We depend on what we can do. And at the moment we can only focus on ourselves, keep doing the steps that we’re doing. Like the ’35 car hitting the track and doing a lot of laps, and feeling the car already a step better than last year on the first day, and opening windows of development.

“That’s the only thing we can do at the moment and we cannot think in what the others are doing.”

So they have decided not to antagonise Mercedes by criticising RP20/W10. Understandable, considering that McLaren will be using Merc engines from next year.

nevill3

You wouldn't here Red Bull, Mercedes or Ferrari complaining about teams copying last years designs. Mclaren won't too, they are rightly concentrating on beating the front runners not copying them to beat the midfield.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

SmallSoldier

Trap speeds for day 1... Not bad!

SmallSoldier

Definitely best First Day of testing for Mclaren in ages!

2013 Pérez 77 Laps
2014 Magnussen 110 Laps
2015 Button 21 Laps
2016 Button 84 Laps
2017 Alonso 29 Laps
2018 Alonso 51 Laps
2019 Sainz 119 Laps
2020 Sainz 161 Laps

the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:

Going to have to start calling it GP1 instead of F1 soon 😥

SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Going to have to start calling it GP1 instead of F1 soon
If anything... F1.5 could be amazing this season!

SmallSoldier

Finally, and just as a reference, Mclaren’s Day lap times 2019 vs 2020:

Day 1 - 2019 = 1:18.558 (C4 Tires)
Day 1 - 2020 = 1:17.842 (C2 Tires)

*Tires as listed in Autosport

Lucky

ArthurMorgan

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 20:43

This's looking great. But I think all teams have improved from last year!

SmallSoldier

ArthurMorgan wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 20:43

This's looking great. But I think all teams have improved from last year!
Definitely! But is always comforting to see improvement year on year :)

godlameroso

Hahahah very nice. So it seems this year's McLaren is already as fast as last year's Ferrari during the race, on the first day of testing. =D>

The midfield battle will be once again brutal.
Last edited by godlameroso on 19 Feb 2020, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā