[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Pink Mercedes seems to be ahead by a few tenths. Not surprisingly, McLaren is pretty close to 2019 Mercedes, and with a few updates they should be right up there. If pink Mercedes's pace is to be believed they're about .6 down on the 2020 car's testing pace, which is not the true pace, I know.
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:Pink Mercedes seems to be ahead by a few tenths. Not surprisingly, McLaren is pretty close to 2019 Mercedes, and with a few updates they should be right up there. If pink Mercedes's pace is to be believed they're about .6 down on the 2020 car's testing pace, which is not the true pace, I know.
Talking about “tenths” at this stage is doing so with no valid data in the argument... From the last 2 days of testing is impossible to know how much potential every car actually has.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

godlameroso

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 23:40
godlameroso wrote:Pink Mercedes seems to be ahead by a few tenths. Not surprisingly, McLaren is pretty close to 2019 Mercedes, and with a few updates they should be right up there. If pink Mercedes's pace is to be believed they're about .6 down on the 2020 car's testing pace, which is not the true pace, I know.
Talking about “tenths” at this stage is doing so with no valid data in the argument... From the last 2 days of testing is impossible to know how much potential every car actually has.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Seems to be", is a lot different than saying "is faster by a few tenths with absolute certainty" if you want to read words into my words then conclude the secret meaning is the true meaning you will always see that I'm wrong. There is plenty of data, various sources publish long runs which while not conclusive gives an impression of general pace.

True conditions are better now than during the race, and teams are still setting and upgrading their cars during testing so I'm not saying things are set in stone and pink Mercedes will rocket away from the midfield. From the looks of it, at this moment, McLaren is a bit behind PM, and perhaps even Renault.

Is this absolutely certain? No, it just seems that way, there is still nearly a month until Melbourne and only then will we know exactly where teams stack up. McLaren could be hiding pace, so could any number of teams, McLaren's pace could be half a second faster by next week. Again, I'm simply stating that for now it seems that McLaren is a few tenths behind.
Saishū kōnā

elldizzle

I personaly feel, that the first 2 days have been an evaluation period to establish a very baseline car. I think what Mclaren have learnt over the "tough years", was to make sure the basics are done right, and done well, first. Then bolt on all the fancy bits (yes thats a technical term).
So with 2 solid days, with a baseline, launch spec car I think they will have a very positive platform to now start testing their performance concept.
I still beleive from what I can see, is that this car's floor, bargeboard set up and front and rear wing, all look like last years spec. Which the team know how they perform, so using those on the 2020 chassis is enabling them to see the chassis gains relative to last year.
Oh im new here too, really enjoying everyones insight and eagle eyed pics, amazing!..
Last edited by elldizzle on 21 Feb 2020, 09:11, edited 2 times in total.

trinidefender

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 23:09
trinidefender wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 21:53
In the video of the McLaren, someone called Jarv was identified....looking similar to Andrew Jarvis who was Lando's race engineer in 2019. Supposedly he retired and Lando was getting a race engineer from HAAS. Did Jarvis stay on with McLaren?
If you are talking about a LandoLog, I believe that it's Jarvis and that he was just around at that time of the year (perhaps holiday time) or he was just visiting. From what I gathered, Jarvis is going to work on McLaren IndyCar programme but I haven't seen that confirmed.
Sorry I meant to specify in that post but somehow missed it. Not from landolog, it's from a pit garage tour on the McLaren app.

It's from about 30 seconds in.
https://youtu.be/0ORelsY60jI

Also any links or can you say how you know about him moving to indycar?

Jackles-UK

For all those worried about the “Pink Mercedes”, I would gently remind you that there’s a reason that Mercedes themselves are running a W11 in testing and not a W10B - the team with the biggest budget out there had squeezed all they could out of the W10 and couldn’t see much of a progression beyond their final substantial update at the back end of 2019. Even if they are faster out of the box than the McLaren cars I would expect them to fall back by the time we get to the first major upgrades in Spain and beyond.

What is clear from the long runs from both Carlos & Lando so far is that they are able to extract incredibly consistent times from the car. Lando today had 60+ laps across a few high-fuel stints all within about a second of each other on the C2 tyre so the balance is obviously pretty good, I think it’s just a bit of raw speed that needs dialling in and the upgrades expected towards the end of the tests should help with that.

It would also be interesting to know whether McLaren have ever managed as many laps (almost 300) across any two consecutive days of testing at any point in the turbo-hybrid era. Hopefully this indicates that they have finally sorted out some of the hydraulic & gearbox gremlins that have plagued the team for the past few years.

Zynerji

Jackles-UK wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 03:20
For all those worried about the “Pink Mercedes”, I would gently remind you that there’s a reason that Mercedes themselves are running a W11 in testing and not a W10B - the team with the biggest budget out there had squeezed all they could out of the W10 and couldn’t see much of a progression beyond their final substantial update at the back end of 2019. Even if they are faster out of the box than the McLaren cars I would expect them to fall back by the time we get to the first major upgrades in Spain and beyond.

What is clear from the long runs from both Carlos & Lando so far is that they are able to extract incredibly consistent times from the car. Lando today had 60+ laps across a few high-fuel stints all within about a second of each other on the C2 tyre so the balance is obviously pretty good, I think it’s just a bit of raw speed that needs dialling in and the upgrades expected towards the end of the tests should help with that.

It would also be interesting to know whether McLaren have ever managed as many laps (almost 300) across any two consecutive days of testing at any point in the turbo-hybrid era. Hopefully this indicates that they have finally sorted out some of the hydraulic & gearbox gremlins that have plagued the team for the past few years.
Won't get that until next year's Mercedes powertrain is in the back...

godlameroso

Jackles-UK wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 03:20

I have no doubt about what they've achieved with the rear end of the car this year. There are some nice upgrades coming to help in the slow speed corners, and I know they're hiding pace. Pink Mercedes is a fast car, I don't know it's development threshold, or if will be as fast as the W10. McLaren has a faster car than last year, and if they can beat last year's Mercedes that would be a very decent accomplishment for being just a Renault customer.

It's going to be more competitive fighting for 4th this year that's for sure, it won't be as easy as last year.
Saishū kōnā

_cerber1

In Abu Dhabi, Perez lost 0.7 seconds to Carlos, I strongly doubt that the RP were able to win back by copying last year’s MB. #-o

Ground Effect

Ivan discussed the pink W10 with fans on Twitter, his conclusion was, let’s see how they evolve the car.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 07:47
Ivan discussed the pink W10 with fans on Twitter, his conclusion was, let’s see how they evolve the car.
I’m praying RP beats Ferrari... that’s one way to guarantee an end to B-teams for good

max_speed

the EDGE wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 09:17
Ground Effect wrote:
I’m praying RP beats Ferrari... that’s one way to guarantee an end to B-teams for good
Let's pray better, mercedes car has inherent flaw and RP beats Mercedes and Stroll becomes world champion :D

mclaren111

max_speed wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 09:46
the EDGE wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 09:17
Ground Effect wrote:
Let's pray better, mercedes car has inherent flaw and RP beats Mercedes and Stroll becomes world champion :D
Well said.... :lol: :lol:

FittingMechanics

trinidefender wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 01:40

Sorry I meant to specify in that post but somehow missed it. Not from landolog, it's from a pit garage tour on the McLaren app.

It's from about 30 seconds in.
https://youtu.be/0ORelsY60jI

Also any links or can you say how you know about him moving to indycar?
https://www.reddit.com/r/INDYCAR/commen ... rformance/

Yeah, according to those links and Instagram posts he moved to Arrow McLaren SP.

trinidefender

Live timing shows Sainz as doing the running in the morning. According to their posted schedule Lando was supposed to drive the morning sting. Does anyone know the reason for the switch?