[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Chicane
Chicane

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Seidl does not want to accept the simple explanation that the cars sometimes work better or worse depending on the layout of the track: "I don't think it's just down to the downforce. We saw shape fluctuations between us and Renault in Spa and Monza, where both Sometimes it is driven with little downforce. "

"In the end, I think the main thing is to get the car from the setup to the sweet spot. Factors such as the tarmac and the weather also play an important role. We found out, for example, that our car is very sensitive to tail winds . "

Seidl warns, however, not to over-dramatize the problem: "The fluctuations take place in the range of one, two or three tenths of a second. That sometimes makes a difference between fifth and twelfth place in qualifying. But that's that too The charm of the fight in the narrow midfield, in which we are all currently. "

Seidl is all the more appreciative of the achievements of market leader Mercedes: "Your car works on every race track. Weekend after weekend you can call up a top performance. Probably there are also tracks on yours where you are a little stronger or weaker. But that does No difference at the moment. In the end, both cars are always ahead. "

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... o-toskana/
Quickshifter

Chicane
Chicane

Seidl is stating that Mercedes manages to be clearly ahead on every track despite having their own stronger/weaker circuits because of the sheer advantage they have over the rest of the field in terms of car performance.

Seidl is mentioning that wind/tarmac/temperature can make a maximum difference of 3 tenths. I feel Mclaren's first aim must be to pull out three tenths of daylight on their midfield rivals so that the track to track variation will be minimized to a large extent. Easier said than done but if Mclaren want to be a clear third, they have to occupy that significant space behind Redbull, especially in race pace.

Currently the split between Mclaren, Tracing Point and Renault is less than two or three tenths which means the track to track variation makes a huge difference.
Quickshifter

PhillipM
PhillipM

The problem Mclaren have now is they've got a much bigger job than anyone else for next years car, and the tokens they need for the rear end change limits what they can do to match elsewhere, so some of the parts they are bringing now - the new nose, teatray, etc - are really designed for next years car, but they're using now to get them developed and working and fitting them even if with this years package they make almost no, or very little, pace difference.
Even though they're bringing small things almost constantly we might get outdeveloped pace-wise just because rivals can afford to use all their time for this years car. The only nice thing is the car is fast enough to be 2nd/3rd pace in places so if they can widen the setup window a bit the new stuff will offer more pace.

Big Tea

PhillipM wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 15:16
The problem Mclaren have now is they've got a much bigger job than anyone else for next years car, and the tokens they need for the rear end change limits what they can do to match elsewhere, so some of the parts they are bringing now - the new nose, teatray, etc - are really designed for next years car, but they're using now to get them developed and working and fitting them even if with this years package they make almost no, or very little, pace difference.
Even though they're bringing small things almost constantly we might get outdeveloped pace-wise just because rivals can afford to use all their time for this years car. The only nice thing is the car is fast enough to be 2nd/3rd pace in places so if they can widen the setup window a bit the new stuff will offer more pace.
What exactly does '1 token' cover? Is it anything from the wing down or, anything except suspension/or/ suspension and nothing else?

For instance, they need to spend a token to to fit the engine, so does it cover all the associated side panels, floor, suspension members etc? if it is being replaced then surely it can be replaced with a modified item or it would not need to be replaced.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Big Tea wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 15:26
PhillipM wrote:
What exactly does '1 token' cover? Is it anything from the wing down or, anything except suspension/or/ suspension and nothing else?

For instance, they need to spend a token to to fit the engine, so does it cover all the associated side panels, floor, suspension members etc? if it is being replaced then surely it can be replaced with a modified item or it would not need to be replaced.
Page 100

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 6-19_1.pdf

Big Tea

the EDGE wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 15:29
Big Tea wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 15:26
PhillipM wrote:

Page 100

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 6-19_1.pdf
Thanks, lots of wading needed there :mrgreen:

So, am I correct in taking it that a 'unit' (for want of a better word) is everything before or after a set date?

That the new body work must be as close as possible to the pre change items?

Anything else, ask first?

I know I am a little on the slow side, but it is confusing by its lack of being specific, in particular 'listed parts.
Can Mclaren take any parts from Merc and not be called new, as they come with the engine and Merc have already 'paid thetokens'?

the EDGE
the EDGE

Big Tea wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 16:28
So, am I correct in taking it that a 'unit' (for want of a better word) is everything before or after a set date?

I know I am a little on the slow side, but it is confusing by its lack of being specific, in particular 'listed parts.
Can Mclaren take any parts from Merc and not be called new, as they come with the engine and Merc have already 'paid thetokens'?
I could be wrong but ,my understanding is...

McLaren are allowed to make any changes necessary to the chassis to install the new PU & associated components, as long as the FIA deem it necessary too. Basically they loose a token for this, so will only have 1 token for chassis improvements where others have 2 . Engines do not have a token system for 20/21 afaik, they will just be permitted 1 spec change in the year. what they change is up to them.

Body work is not regulated by tokens. Teams are free to change engine covers, wings etc as much as they like throughout the year as normal. the only things covered by tokens are what is listed on p100 of the tec regs docs

Big Tea

the EDGE wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 16:54
Big Tea wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 16:28

I could be wrong but ,my understanding is...

McLaren are allowed to make any changes necessary to the chassis to install the new PU & associated components, as long as the FIA deem it necessary too. Basically they loose a token for this, so will only have 1 token for chassis improvements where others have 2 . Engines do not have a token system for 20/21 afaik, they will just be permitted 1 spec change in the year. what they change is up to them.

Body work is not regulated by tokens. Teams are free to change engine covers, wings etc as much as they like throughout the year as normal. the only things covered by tokens are what is listed on p100 of the tec regs docs
So they can more or less make any changes to the rear that they wanted to anyway?
By 'Bodywork not included' do I take this to be anything short of rear wing? or is that included in bodywork?

Same for ducts? the rear suspension has to be different (? mclaren gearbox?) so it can be changed? Defuser etc too?

Above is what I originally thought, but many people seem to say Maclaren will loose out.

What is it that cannot be done that Mclaren would want to?

Sorry to bombard you with these questions, but I make Padinton look smart :mrgreen:

the EDGE
the EDGE

Big Tea wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 17:02
[quo

So they can more or less make any changes to the rear that they wanted to anyway?
By 'Bodywork not included' do I take this to be anything short of rear wing? or is that included in bodywork?

Same for ducts? the rear suspension has to be different (? mclaren gearbox?) so it can be changed? Defuser etc too?

Above is what I originally thought, but many people seem to say Maclaren will loose out.

Sorry to bombard you with these questions, but I make Padinton look smart :mrgreen:
Tha'ts a lot of questions lol.

Basically, teams will be allowed to continue to upgrade anything they usually upgrade throughout the season

The rear wing & diffuser, brake ducts and some of the floor (see p.100) are not going to be Homologated (except the DRS activator), so can be changed.

External areo surfaces such as engine covers, bargeboards, wings etc. including most of the floor (again see p100) can continue to be developed

What can-not be changed without using tokens is more the mechanical aspect of the car including the suspension, axels, gear box, hydraulics, Brakes, cooling system, survival cell & crash structures. This all requires tokens, however IF McLaren can convince the FIA these items need to be changed to fit the new engine then they will be permitted to change as part of the 1 token. These are items that teams usually change over the winter only

the EDGE
the EDGE

Big Tea wrote:

So many questions I forgot 1 :lol:

Personally I don't believe the pu intergration will be an problem. The loss of the token is the real issue, for example others may choose to upgrade both front & rear suspension where McLaren would have to choose 1 or the other

Big Tea

Thanks, I need to lay down now :mrgreen:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Personally I don't believe the pu intergration will be an problem. The loss of the token is the real issue, for example others may choose to upgrade both front & rear suspension where McLaren would have to choose 1 or the other
Actually, Mclaren will have to use both tokens for the engine integration... They won’t have an additional token for other changes, while the rest of the teams will have those 2 tokens to make changes.

That’s why it is stated that Mclaren are in a losing position against the other teams, because the 2 tokens used for the engine change can’t create a performance increase (Mclaren has to show that the changes to accommodate the new engine doesn’t create additional performance).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 18:19
the EDGE wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Actually, Mclaren will have to use both tokens for the engine integration... They won’t have an additional token for other changes, while the rest of the teams will have those 2 tokens to make changes.

That’s why it is stated that Mclaren are in a losing position against the other teams, because the 2 tokens used for the engine change can’t create a performance increase (Mclaren has to show that the changes to accommodate the new engine doesn’t create additional performance).

Well i was only 1 out :lol:

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 18:19
the EDGE wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

But what about everything they have to change to facilitate the engine change? can thy not be the things that would have been upgraded anyway?

chrisgr
chrisgr

Norris was voted from fans at the formula1.com as the most impressive driver of 2020.. so far..
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... P1Nfd.html