[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Darth-Piekus wrote:2 tenths is the difference in Sochi so far. Tomorrow I am confident Sainz will destroy both Perez and Ricciardo at the start just as he did in Mugello. Norris didn't go that well with the new updates. Perhaps some more testing need to be done with them.
The updates are part of a different package, so probably a bit of a compromise against the original nose, which is designed to work with the current one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:P6 and P8. That's about right for us this weekend. Going to be tight tomorrow, fingers crossed for some gains.
It won’t be an easy race tomorrow, the Renault’s are pretty fast, especially in Sector 1, where they are 3 tenths faster... Hopefully it will be a fun race.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I get the impression there’s really no advantage with the new nose at this time, there could even be a deficit, until the rest of the package comes. So it’s likely a case of some pain for later gain.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:I get the impression there’s really no advantage with the new nose at this time, there could even be a deficit, until the rest of the package comes. So it’s likely a case of some pain for later gain.
If it’s designed to work with a different package, then it most probably compromises the car and therefore creates a deficit... The gap between Lando and Carlos seem to indicate that... Landó was consistently 3 tenths behind Carlos on their runs, probably a tenth or two is due to the different nose

Last edited by SmallSoldier on 26 Sep 2020, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

It's getting quite dangerous right now with Renault (well particularly Daniel) making such huge gains all of a sudden. I can see this trend of McLaren being 5th fastest car for at least until the united states. The fast corners there should suit the car. Not sure about nurburgring but let's see how it will go there. On these 90 degree corners here in Russia though, the Renault is eating us up.

bauc

Good Qualy, I think we can fight the Renault's tomorrow
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 15:25
It's getting quite dangerous right now with Renault (well particularly Daniel) making such huge gains all of a sudden. I can see this trend of McLaren being 5th fastest car for at least until the united states. The fast corners there should suit the car. Not sure about nurburgring but let's see how it will go there. On these 90 degree corners here in Russia though, the Renault is eating us up.
Until the United States? I hope not, because the US GP will be in the second half of next season :D

Emag
Emag

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 15:40
Emag wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 15:25
Until the United States? I hope not, because the US GP will be in the second half of next season :D
Oh crap, is the Austin GP canceled? I just googled "F1 2020 calendar" and it was on the list.

Xero

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 15:18
Xero wrote:P6 and P8. That's about right for us this weekend. Going to be tight tomorrow, fingers crossed for some gains.
It won’t be an easy race tomorrow, the Renault’s are pretty fast, especially in Sector 1, where they are 3 tenths faster... Hopefully it will be a fun race.
Absolutely, Danny Ric is driving so well I think he's probably out of range. Think we can race Perez and Ocon pretty hard, and hopefully benefit from any hiccups out front.

Darth-Piekus

How much though is because of the Renault car and how much because of Danny Ric? He seems to be outperforming the car greatly.

Emag
Emag

It's all down to the Renault car. There is no "overperforming". It's about who gets most out of his car. And Ocon isn't getting much out of the car, while Daniel is. He is not tapping into some other dimension to make the car go faster than it actually can. Daniel shows the potential of the Renault better than Ocon just like Carlos showed the potential of the McLaren better than Lando.

How much more potential is there in it on both cars? We don't know. Maybe Daniel could have gone faster if he was on a McLaren, and maybe Carlos could have gone faster if he was on the Renault. We don't know that and it doesn't really matter. What matters is how much can a driver get out of his car, not how much hidden potential the car has. And today, the top Renault driver got much more out of his car than both McLaren drivers.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

The car can not be outperformed. It will do what it is capable of doing. It’s obvious that Renault have made a big step. Their low speed cornering performance is exceptional. Clearly RIC is able to extract the maximum from the package. Fingers crossed we can find gains in the slow speed stuff. It’s been the Achilles heel in relative terms ever since the MCL33.
SAI has always been very quick on this track, so seeing him ahead of NOR isn’t a surprise. The difference in the end was within normal margins. As others stated, the nose works best only with all the other parts downstream revised with it. So I’d hesitate into jumping to conclusions about the nose. The team will know where the gains and losses are

Darth-Piekus

Allow me to disagree. A lot of drivers are able to take something more out of a car than it actually can. Senna and the slow Mclaren Ford of 1992 and 1993. Schumacher and the Ferrari of 1996 and 1998. Alonso with the Ferrari of 2010 and 2012.

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 19:22
Allow me to disagree. A lot of drivers are able to take something more out of a car than it actually can. Senna and the slow Mclaren Ford of 1992 and 1993. Schumacher and the Ferrari of 1996 and 1998. Alonso with the Ferrari of 2010 and 2012.
Correction* - More than expected, not more than the car can offer.

It is physically impossible to go faster than a car is capable of going. All of the impressive performances you mentioned were not achieved by breaking the laws of physics. It's just that those particular drivers were hooked up and extracted most of the potential their respective machines offered.

Darth-Piekus

I dont see how much potential could Mclaren Ford have with Manual Gearbox, being 100 HP down compared to Williams Renault and of course Williams having an automatic gearbox and electronics. The difference was huge and yet Senna got 5 Wins and was a championship contender for many races in 1993. Williams Renault back then was at least 2 to 3 seconds faster than the second car who was Mclaren Ford. I don't see how Senna would be able to get 5 wins if he wasn't able to get out of the car more than what it can.