[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

ezzeddein wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 09:53
i think we miss Pat Fry
this season car development is slowly
This season the development is slow because of the corona virus, not because Pat Fry isn't there. The factory was shut down for way too long. Have you seen any other team who has been bringing more parts to the track than McLaren?

the EDGE

Emag wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 13:07
ezzeddein wrote:
i think we miss Pat Fry
This season the development is slow because of the corona virus, not because Pat Fry isn't there. The factory was shut down for way too long. Have you seen any other team who has been bringing more parts to the track than McLaren?
This season was supposed to be the last time these cars were used. The development path would have looked a lot different in March to what it looked like in April. For example, I would say there was no way a new nose was planned for this year until the decision to delay 2022's changes

diffuser

Chicane wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 07:39
Mercedes are where they are because they question themselves and push themselves even when they are winning everything. They are so self critical and willing to improve in every single area. They do not normalize anything saying "oh these things happen" .

I am a huge fan of this team for 25 years now and it pains me to see the kind of unforced erors that have happened in the last couple of races. When the midfield is like minefield and the team is pushing like crazy to bring upgrades alongside developing next year's challenger, you do not bin the car three times in 2 race wewkends like Sainz did. In Mugello he got overzealous with Stroll and put his nose where it didn't belong and got spun around. Then he stuffed the car in FP1 which required replacement of complete rear end. In the race he had a brain fade and went straight in to the wall.

As Philipm mentioned above the team is burning the midnight oil to produce parts and these crashes have proved to be very costly. Mclaren are not at Mercedes, Ferrari and Redbull levels when it comes to production capacity and infrastructure, at least not yet. Drivers cannot be binning it especially in the manner in which Sainz did. He is a very good driver and he owned up but he cost the team a big chunk of points and a massive parts bill.
The good news is they'll be coming to us with cuts in budgets next year. Easy to burn the midnight oil when the guy that worked the day shift is sleeping cause they have 2 bees for everyone McLaren bee.

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
ezzeddein wrote:
i think we miss Pat Fry
Exactly... I don’t think development has been slow at all considering Covid and all other factors... At least it doesn’t seem slower than other teams.

In addition, the team is balancing current upgrades, with next year upgrades and an engine change in a few months... While making sure that the car has enough parts every week in a very compressed season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PhillipM

Yep they're bringing parts every single race, they're trying to do 2 seasons of development in half a year.

Dunno how people expect them to make things fast with the factory shutdown and Covid. You can't just magically throw more manpower at something and expect it to make the carbon cure faster :wink:

Emag

Yeah, people here get angry and disappointed whenever things don't go well, but they forget that the people who are actually working their asses off for the benefit of the team get even more angry and disappointed. Nobody likes to fail on purpose. People always strive for the best.

Good things take time. You can't move forward if you keep dwelling on the past. What happened is gone, you cannot change it.
Maybe giving Mercedes engines to brawn in 2009 was a mistake. Maybe going for a different design philosophy on 2013 was a mistake. Maybe signing Honda in 2015 was a mistake. Maybe letting Honda go for 2017 was a mistake.
But what can you do about any of these? Nothing really. What's done is done.

There are a lot of ifs and buts when you have the power of hindsight, but there's no point in thinking what could have been, because it's not going to change anything right now.

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:Yeah, people here get angry and disappointed whenever things don't go well, but they forget that the people who are actually working their asses off for the benefit of the team get even more angry and disappointed. Nobody likes to fail on purpose. People always strive for the best.

Good things take time. You can't move forward if you keep dwelling on the past. What happened is gone, you cannot change it.
Maybe giving Mercedes engines to brawn in 2009 was a mistake. Maybe going for a different design philosophy on 2013 was a mistake. Maybe signing Honda in 2015 was a mistake. Maybe letting Honda go for 2017 was a mistake.

There are a lot of ifs and buts when you have the power of hindsight, but there's no point in thinking what could have been, because it's not going to change anything right now.
I believe that the critical part here is to not forget how much the team has progressed in the last couple of years.

Yes, we have had a couple of difficult weekends, where our rivals have scored well... But let’s not forget that we are P3 “despite” not having the 4th fastest car in the grid... I guess that the great start to the season created expectations that weren’t based on actual performance, but the team has done a very good job so far, fighting cars that on relative performance are ahead of the MCL35 (like for example Racing Point) and that were expected to be ahead of us after winter testing (Renault).

The team had a target of P4 - P5 in the Championship, they are currently in P3 thanks to a mix of solid weekends and a little bit of luck... And I believe still has a possibility of finishing P3 at the end of the season if we manage to avoid weekends like Sochi, the foundation to make it happen is there... But this is Motorsports and weekends like Sochi were everything that could wrong, went wrong (losing Carlos at the start of the race, Lando been compromised by that situation and the MCL35 running “unfinished”).

The team has managed to consistently get both cars in Q3 with just a couple of exceptions and mange strong races... Hopefully they will get their mojo back and we have uneventful weekends in the next races and outscore both RP and Renault.

Darth-Piekus

At the end of the day Mclaren should not be looking where it will end in the championship but target that first place step by step. I'm sure we will get there in a matter of 3 years tops.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 21:17
Emag wrote:Yeah, people here get angry and disappointed whenever things don't go well, but they forget that the people who are actually working their asses off for the benefit of the team get even more angry and disappointed. Nobody likes to fail on purpose. People always strive for the best.

I believe that the critical part here is to not forget how much the team has progressed in the last couple of years.

Yes, we have had a couple of difficult weekends, where our rivals have scored well... But let’s not forget that we are P3 “despite” not having the 4th fastest car in the grid... I guess that the great start to the season created expectations that weren’t based on actual performance, but the team has done a very good job so far, fighting cars that on relative performance are ahead of the MCL35 (like for example Racing Point) and that were expected to be ahead of us after winter testing (Renault).

The team had a target of P4 - P5 in the Championship, they are currently in P3 thanks to a mix of solid weekends and a little bit of luck... And I believe still has a possibility of finishing P3 at the end of the season if we manage to avoid weekends like Sochi, the foundation to make it happen is there... But this is Motorsports and weekends like Sochi were everything that could wrong, went wrong (losing Carlos at the start of the race, Lando been compromised by that situation and the MCL35 running “unfinished”).

The team has managed to consistently get both cars in Q3 with just a couple of exceptions and mange strong races... Hopefully they will get their mojo back and we have uneventful weekends in the next races and outscore both RP and Renault.

The car is developing brilliantly, and if it wasn't for the less than imaginative work done to create the current RP, we'd be fighting for 3rd/4th - not 5th, so in terms of organic car development, we've done brilliantly and taken another step forward.

I think we'd all be lying if we didn't say we'd have hoped to be a little closer to Merc, but I think we'd accept it was hope and that we have no right to expect that time. I'll take us slowly eating into the front runners than doing what we used to do, with some very odd design decisions with big steps backward.

We are closer to Red Bull and now ahead of Ferrari, if we keep this trajectory then we will get close to the front and get our bite at the big red cherry of glory! :mrgreen:
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Big Tea

I heard him say something on the radio about the steering tightening up on lock. It was not mentioned after, so I assumed it was wreckage jammed in somewhere and cleared it's self.

Just getting shuffled to the back of the line was a big disadvantage there too
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PhillipM

Someone hit his front wheel at the start IIRC - probably bent a tie rod or the rack

genarro

So if we are running the new nose are there any information about new parts (bargeboards, diffuser, etc..) wich are comming next week?

_cerber1

genarro wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 08:26
So if we are running the new nose are there any information about new parts (bargeboards, diffuser, etc..) wich are comming next week?
The million dollar question. These can be point changes in all the listed parts, or one but large element. Or all at once :roll: .

M840TR

genarro wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 08:26
The entire new upgrade package will reportedly be brought next week. What specific parts it includes is still unknown.