[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Jackles-UK wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 13:06
https://radikal.ru

In my opinion, this is very strange information, I would like to understand by what criteria the assessment was carried out.
I also have a multitude of issues with this graphic.

It seems to assume (or at least indicate) that Mercedes have not moved forward at all compared to themselves over the course of the season. As a result how are they judging the improvement of the other teams? From the performance difference from Mercedes’ level at the start of the season or their post-Sochi pace? I struggle to believe that Mercedes have been out developed by every team on the grid except Ferrari - if anything, I think it could be argued that they have moved further ahead of most teams than they were in Austria.
Some teams didn’t had a good start of the season (for example Renault), which were struggling and now they are finally on top of their car and therefore have improved dramatically... The graph doesn’t necessarily shows how much has been gained by “upgrades” on the cars, but more how their overall performance has improved... My guess would be that one factor in the equation is their qualifying time as a percentage of Mercedes, if that’s the case it can explain why someone like Renault or RB is closer today to Mercedes that when the season started... Mclaren seems to have maintain that gap since the beginning of the season.

Also, the fact that we just had some races that benefit some packages compared to others (for example, SPA and Monza for Renault) also validates what it shows.

The graph may not be entirely accurate, but it seems to depict reality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emag
Emag

That data is very misleading. It is supposed to show how much each team has gained on Mercedes from the start of the season. Which is cool and all, but this has not been implemented correctly.
For starters, it shows improvement in seconds instead of percentage. That's bad because a second gap in Belgium does not have the same weight as 2 seconds in Monaco.
And secondly, the first race of the season was Austria.
McLaren started 4th or something that race. Renault didn't make it to q3 ...
Renault had issues with understanding their car early on, so because they were doing pretty bad in those first races, this graph makes it look like they have gained a mammoth amount of time compared to Mercedes. McLaren on the other hand, has maintained a very consistent gap to Mercedes throughout the season, so for them the data makes it look like they have made no improvements to the car at all. And if you calculate everything in seconds that might be true, if you use percentages, that may not be the case. Because the tracks we have been at lately are much longer than Austria and Hungary (First 2 tracks of the season)

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 19:51
CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 15:49

Did you watch the race at Sochi? How Lando was defending from Albon? If you did and you still believe that he doesn’t have a fight in him (even when that was for the last positions on the grid) nothing will change your mind.

You got voted up for this answer??
I have no words....

Yes a did watch the race
Yes I saw that fight.
Was I talking about the race? No
Was I talking about the pre weekend comments? Yes
Did you read any of my previous posts?
Maybe because you are making an assessment on whether Norris is or isn’t “in the fight” (to quote you) by taking his answer to a question out of context.

When question in regards to holding P3 in the Constructors Championship, his answer was:

“It’s going to be tough. Very tough,” continued Norris. “I’d say through the majority of this year, Racing Point have been the third-best car, second-best car for some of the races, so in some ways they should be ahead… they’ve shown that they have a very, very quick car, so I’m not surprised.
“I’m not shocked or worried if they come past. I think we almost knew at some point that was going to happen,” he concluded.

I don’t see anything wrong in his answer... The RP is faster than the MCL35, or at least it has been for the majority of the championship and still is (pending what the upgrades brought by Mclaren do on track)... The fact that Mclaren is ahead of them at this point has to do with an strong start to the Championship, Solid Weekends, Good Luck and the 15 points taken away from RP.

RP “should” be ahead of Mclaren if we only consider car performance, therefore Norris (nor I) would be shocked if they get past Mclaren in the WCC.

The fact that he is realistic in regards to the performance of the MCL35 compared to it’s rivals and that is not selling smoke or just throwing a cliche answer as: “We will fight until the end” doesn’t make him more or less engage and trying his best to beat them... My comment in regards to the race in Sochi has to do with his attitude “in the car”, which at the end of the day is the only thing that matters... And he has showed that hunger since race 1, where he got his first podium thanks to pushing until the last lap of the race.

So basically this is all to do with poor journalism then?
(To quote me) are me and Lando victims of poor journalism?
Because the journalist reported Sainz’ answer about car development and Lando’ about fighting for the constructors it gave me the impression one is looking to improve the car and the other is waiting to have his arse kicked?

I’ll refrain from contributing to the thread in future.
What concerns me about this place is that no one respects anyone’s opinion and is only interested in changing someone else’s opinion.
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 19:51
CjC wrote: You got voted up for this answer??
I have no words....

Yes a did watch the race
Yes I saw that fight.
Was I talking about the race? No
Was I talking about the pre weekend comments? Yes
Did you read any of my previous posts?
Maybe because you are making an assessment on whether Norris is or isn’t “in the fight” (to quote you) by taking his answer to a question out of context.

When question in regards to holding P3 in the Constructors Championship, his answer was:

“It’s going to be tough. Very tough,” continued Norris. “I’d say through the majority of this year, Racing Point have been the third-best car, second-best car for some of the races, so in some ways they should be ahead… they’ve shown that they have a very, very quick car, so I’m not surprised.
“I’m not shocked or worried if they come past. I think we almost knew at some point that was going to happen,” he concluded.

I don’t see anything wrong in his answer... The RP is faster than the MCL35, or at least it has been for the majority of the championship and still is (pending what the upgrades brought by Mclaren do on track)... The fact that Mclaren is ahead of them at this point has to do with an strong start to the Championship, Solid Weekends, Good Luck and the 15 points taken away from RP.

RP “should” be ahead of Mclaren if we only consider car performance, therefore Norris (nor I) would be shocked if they get past Mclaren in the WCC.

The fact that he is realistic in regards to the performance of the MCL35 compared to it’s rivals and that is not selling smoke or just throwing a cliche answer as: “We will fight until the end” doesn’t make him more or less engage and trying his best to beat them... My comment in regards to the race in Sochi has to do with his attitude “in the car”, which at the end of the day is the only thing that matters... And he has showed that hunger since race 1, where he got his first podium thanks to pushing until the last lap of the race.

So basically this is all to do with poor journalism then?
(To quote me) are me and Lando victims of poor journalism?
Because the journalist reported Sainz’ answer about car development and Lando’ about fighting for the constructors it gave me the impression one is looking to improve the car and the other is waiting to have his arse kicked?

I’ll refrain from contributing to the thread in future.
What concerns me about this place is that no one respects anyone’s opinion and is only interested in changing someone else’s opinion.
A couple points:

A) The driver’s are asked several questions and in this type of articles (like the one posted by Formula1.com) they choose the relevant quotes or questions they seem fit... Carlos and Lando’s answers are in regards to different questions, one was asked about the Car development, the other about their position in Championship and whether they were worried about losing that P3 position... “You” have decided to interpret that as one been optimistic and other one lacking a fighting spirit, that’s your interpretation and may be driven by a bias you may have towards the drivers already... The fact remains that his answer to the particular question is simply realistic, you are placing a meaning to it that isn’t there.

B) This is a discussion forum, I’m not trying to change your opinion, nor would I even attempt it because it will be just futile... But, you made an assessment on one of the drivers based on out of context quote and I gave “my opinion” on the subject.

Don’t refrain from commenting, unless the fact that someone may point something in your comments upsets you... This is a great forum and for the most part pretty respectful among it’s members, but that doesn’t mean that people won’t engage in a discussion if the premise is wrong.

_cerber1

New gearbox for Carlos.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 09:10
New gearbox for Carlos.
Does it mean penalty?

_cerber1

Szabi1112 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 10:18
Does it mean penalty?
No, he did not finish in the last race and can change it for free.

_cerber1

Our guys have 29+29 laps, more than anyone else. I hope they have been able to gather all the information they need.

Darth-Piekus

What do you think of FP3? Did the car made some progress with the new nose and new floor?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

NOR seems to be dialled in compared to SAI. Quicker in every sector

Darth-Piekus

Good Q1 from Norris. He was on par with Ricciardo and surprisingly on par with Leclerc.

Xero

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 15:20
NOR seems to be dialled in compared to SAI. Quicker in every sector
Indeed, Carlos does seem to be struggling a bit. Onboard with Lando looked good, front end looks better with the full upgrade package. It looked easy to drive, so hopefully that translates when pushed harder in Q2/Q3.
Last edited by Xero on 10 Oct 2020, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

101FlyingDutchman wrote:NOR seems to be dialled in compared to SAI. Quicker in every sector
It seems that when Norris finds his rhythm he is pretty quick... Very good lap in Q1, especially considering the gap to Carlos there.

Darth-Piekus

Good thing is that one RP is too much back and at the moment we seem to be slightly faster than the competition even by less than a tenth. Do we have the full upgrade package or are we missing parts?
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 10 Oct 2020, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I think there is a new floor (not diffuser). Few bargeboard tweaks (not on Norris car). on top of the new front wing
Last edited by 101FlyingDutchman on 10 Oct 2020, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.