[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

McLaren chief Andreas Seidl explained what happened to Norris's car.

“As we originally anticipated, Norris had the same problem that Sainz had before the race in Belgium,” says Seidl. “Due to ignition problems, the power plant switched to safe mode. During the race, we did our best to ensure that Lando could to return his engine to operating mode - for this the Briton changed the settings on the steering wheel, but in the end it did not help.When problems with ignition occur, it usually leads to the fact that unburned fuel enters the exhaust system, where a fire occurs.

Big Tea

_cerber1 wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 12:20

“As we originally anticipated, Norris had the same problem that Sainz had before the race in Belgium,” says Seidl. “Due to ignition problems, the power plant switched to safe mode. During the race, we did our best to ensure that Lando could to return his engine to operating mode - for this the Briton changed the settings on the steering wheel, but in the end it did not help.When problems with ignition occur, it usually leads to the fact that unburned fuel enters the exhaust system, where a fire occurs.
I thought they were not allowed to change back from 'limp mode' now?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Darth-Piekus

So are we gonna have in the next race the full new package in order to take the fight to Renault and RP?

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

_cerber1 wrote:

So it's a Renault issue, not with our exhaust layout. The unburnt fuel was basically combusting in the headers/manifold. That definitely explains why Carlos's headers actually cracked.

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

Darth-Piekus wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 22:49
So are we gonna have in the next race the full new package in order to take the fight to Renault and RP?
I don't think they should bring the full package yet since they haven't understood how to set up the current package (on Carlos's car) yet. They can probably match Renault's and RP's pace with the current package considering that Seidl believes they are only a couple of tenths behind them.

mwillems

They haven't really had the chance to understand the current package at all or do Aero testing with it. It's a fairly radical design shift in terms of what is happening with the airflow around the car. The time may well be in the car now, but it will take time to find it, who knows how much. Maybe next race, maybe in 3 races time.

Hopefully sooner rather than later! But ultimately if they can figure it out and it makes the car faster yet again then I guess I'll be happy with the step forward, if not disappointed with our slow decline in the constructors.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Andres125sx

After last race Carlos said with the old package he could have fight the podium with Renault. Not sure how optimisic that was, but obviously the new package was not a step forward. At least yet

_cerber1

They didn't have the opportunity to customize this package on Friday, they were only able to collect information on Saturday by sacrificing Carlos' race. But thanks to this, in Portugal, already in the first training session, they will be able to try something and understand the performance of the updates.

djos

They need Danny Ric to help drive them forward, oh wait they’ve signed for next year. Very fortunate, 😎
"In downforce we trust"

Chicane
Chicane

Seidl has been categorical that this short term pain will be worthwhile for a better 2021. Remember, 2022 car development is banned till the end of the current season so Mclaren want to focus on the 2021 car with side by side learning from MCL35 till the end of the year.

I think once the 2022 car development ban is lifted the focus will shift to 2022. I don't think there are going to be many upgrades on thr 2021 car through the season. McLaren are front loading all the 2021 car developments now.

Seidl has talked about two really important reasons as to why they are bringing aero upgrades even if it means disturbing the situation, one being on track understanding of aero parts, two, confirmation of wind tunnel/CFD correlation.

McLaren has been in constant exchange with Mercedes about PU Integration ever since the deal was announced. This lead time will help McLaren. The air flow characteristics on an f1 car can be extremely tricky to optimize especially around the bargeboard area as the margin for error is basically zero. I wouldn't be surprised if there is further tweaking of bargeboard bits in the next race based on the data from the last race.
Quickshifter

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 08:35
They didn't have the opportunity to customize this package on Friday, they were only able to collect information on Saturday by sacrificing Carlos' race. But thanks to this, in Portugal, already in the first training session, they will be able to try something and understand the performance of the updates.
Exactly, and if you notice, throughout the sessions, FP3 and qualifying, they seemed to be making steps forward with Carlos, they also mentioned this on the TeamStream. So hopefully, in Portugal, they’ll fine tune some more. They’ve got over 60 laps of data to crunch through.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Chicane wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 09:08
Seidl has been categorical that this short term pain will be worthwhile for a better 2021. Remember, 2022 car development is banned till the end of the current season so Mclaren want to focus on the 2021 car with side by side learning from MCL35 till the end of the year.

I think once the 2022 car development ban is lifted the focus will shift to 2022. I don't think there are going to be many upgrades on thr 2021 car through the season. McLaren are front loading all the 2021 car developments now.

Seidl has talked about two really important reasons as to why they are bringing aero upgrades even if it means disturbing the situation, one being on track understanding of aero parts, two, confirmation of wind tunnel/CFD correlation.

McLaren has been in constant exchange with Mercedes about PU Integration ever since the deal was announced. This lead time will help McLaren. The air flow characteristics on an f1 car can be extremely tricky to optimize especially around the bargeboard area as the margin for error is basically zero. I wouldn't be surprised if there is further tweaking of bargeboard bits in the next race based on the data from the last race.
I also wonder if this new aero direction is done with a bias towards next year’s floor changes, which they also tried out some races back?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

With the Covid 19 Virus disruption, the shortened season, aero design philosophy change and FIA restrictios, I for one are extremely impressed with our current approach, actions and progress.

subcritical71

Big Tea wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 12:49
_cerber1 wrote:

I remember reading they can go down in power all they want, but cannot go back. So these comments are interesting. Could it be that the the engine never changed modes and only reacted negatively to the sensor reading. So in other words it was still in the original engine mode and they were trying to work around the issue to get the power to normal.

diffuser

subcritical71 wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 15:49
Big Tea wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 12:49
_cerber1 wrote:

I remember reading they can go down in power all they want, but cannot go back. So these comments are interesting. Could it be that the the engine never changed modes and only reacted negatively to the sensor reading. So in other words it was still in the original engine mode and they were trying to work around the issue to get the power to normal.

I don't think that was a mapping change he was making, which I think is what you were reffering to. He was resettting the senors. Kind of like in you car when a light goes on from a Sensor and you connect with the canmic and clear it but it keeps coming back. I presume if they didn't keep reesetting it, it would of shut the engine off.