[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

SmallSoldier

Key discussing Mclaren’s approach to development considering that they won’t have any tokens for the 2021 season:

“We don’t have chassis tokens to develop our car,” confirmed Key. We are kind of unique in that respect.

“Other teams will have them, and we don’t because they are effectively taken up with the engine change we are having to do. So where we do have freedoms, we would like to exploit them whilst we can whilst they are not being homologated.

“I don’t think they have driven this package particularly, that we have done. The nose was on plan anyway from the early days and it is working as hoped, but we had to hit the September deadline for homologation with that.

“But certainly, anything we can do this year that mitigates the fact we haven’t got the chassis tokens going into next year would help. Some of the things that we will be bringing to the next couple of races will be part of that.”

One thing all teams are preparing for is the change in aerodynamic regulations aimed at curbing the downforce levels achieved by the cars next season.

Whilst acknowledging the changes are necessary, Key conceded it was a shame the regulations had to be adjusted.

“There is a very good technical reason for it,” he added. “Obviously, we didn’t expect to carry these regulations over into ’21 so a lot of the other areas that support what we do weren’t ready for that.

“One of those, of course, was the tyres. This will be the third season of using the tyre spec whilst the cars were being developed so it is the right thing to do to address it.

“It does mean that we have some unique developments to do for ’21 when there is still a lot we need to do for ’22. Still, we can’t aero-develop for ’22 right now so that is going to hit pretty hard in January.

“So, I think it is an unfortunate consequence of circumstances but it makes sense to do it and I think there is a fair bit to do to develop slightly different philosophies because of the implications of these regs.

“It will be an area which is completely new to us and it will be an area that will develop more next year than it would otherwise, so it does have an effect.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M840TR

SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 19:33
Key discussing Mclaren’s approach to development considering that they won’t have any tokens for the 2021 season:

“We don’t have chassis tokens to develop our car,” confirmed Key. We are kind of unique in that respect.

“Other teams will have them, and we don’t because they are effectively taken up with the engine change we are having to do. So where we do have freedoms, we would like to exploit them whilst we can whilst they are not being homologated.

“I don’t think they have driven this package particularly, that we have done. The nose was on plan anyway from the early days and it is working as hoped, but we had to hit the September deadline for homologation with that.

“But certainly, anything we can do this year that mitigates the fact we haven’t got the chassis tokens going into next year would help. Some of the things that we will be bringing to the next couple of races will be part of that.”

One thing all teams are preparing for is the change in aerodynamic regulations aimed at curbing the downforce levels achieved by the cars next season.

Whilst acknowledging the changes are necessary, Key conceded it was a shame the regulations had to be adjusted.

“There is a very good technical reason for it,” he added. “Obviously, we didn’t expect to carry these regulations over into ’21 so a lot of the other areas that support what we do weren’t ready for that.

“One of those, of course, was the tyres. This will be the third season of using the tyre spec whilst the cars were being developed so it is the right thing to do to address it.

“It does mean that we have some unique developments to do for ’21 when there is still a lot we need to do for ’22. Still, we can’t aero-develop for ’22 right now so that is going to hit pretty hard in January.

“So, I think it is an unfortunate consequence of circumstances but it makes sense to do it and I think there is a fair bit to do to develop slightly different philosophies because of the implications of these regs.

“It will be an area which is completely new to us and it will be an area that will develop more next year than it would otherwise, so it does have an effect.”

He says the nose was homologated in September but then also states they’ll be bringing new parts in the coming races to circumvent the homologation for next year...?

Isn’t the deadline already passed for that or am I reading into it incorrectly?

Ground Effect

I can’t understand why McLaren accepted the token handicap for 2021, when the engine change to Mercedes was agreed in 2019. They’re the only team facing such a disadvantage, whereas teams like RP and AT have even more benefits.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier

M840TR wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

He says the nose was homologated in September but then also states they’ll be bringing new parts in the coming races to circumvent the homologation for next year...?

There were different deadlines for different components... The deadline for the nose (crash structure) was on September so they had to introduce it then... There may still be parts that can be introduce this year before their deadline starts (although, I had a similar impression that most deadlines were already in place).

SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:I can’t understand why McLaren accepted the token handicap for 2021, when the engine change to Mercedes was agreed in 2019. They’re the only team facing such a disadvantage, whereas teams like RP and AT have even more benefits.
The problem was that the new rules didn’t accept the engine change at all, in theory there were not going to be any allowed chassis changes into 2021, therefore no tokens were needed.

With Mclaren having to make an engine change into 2021, that implied chassis changes, the rest of the teams complained that it would be an unfair advantage... The tokens were created in order to allow Mclaren to change their chassis to install the new engine with the caveat that they couldn’t change anything else.

In short, Mclaren is using the tokens they are allowed for the engine change... Yes, it gives an unfair advantage to the rest of the field that have available tokens... What is really wrong is to allow teams like RP (AM) and AT to update their suspension components token free.

SmallSoldier

Another interesting bit of information... If the information below is true and Mercedes is bringing additional power for next season, Mclaren will be very happy in 2021... Below is from Motorsport.it:

Other than the balance of performance in F1 engines: according to rumors coming from Brixworth, a Mercedes power unit that is capable of twenty more horsepower than the one that is dominating in this world championship is running on the test bench. Research areas in addition to hybrid management are new alloys and a different combustion chamber.

Red Bull would like to freeze the development of power units, arguing that as soon as possible a balance of engine performance will be achieved that would not justify other very large investments, but the first rumors that filter from Brixworth, the English headquarters of Mercedes AMG HPP, indicate that the moment of equality has not yet arrived.

Recall that the Mercedes F1 M11 EQ Performance 6-cylinder hybrid turbo hybrid, which is leading the Star brand to conquer the seventh Constructors' title in a row and Lewis Hamilton to equal Michael Schumacher's world record, was estimated from the sound level measurements carried out in this season with a maximum power of 1,026 horsepower, despite regulatory restrictions on oil consumption (0.3 liters per 100 km).

With the introduction of the unique mapping in the race weekend wanted by the FIA ​​from the Italian GP which eliminated the "party mode" of Mercedes (but not only), the loss of horses was almost negligible: during the qualifying 1,022 horsepower on the engine in pole position.

Some say that we have reached the limit of developments, but it seems that this is not the case. Ferrari with the 2021 power unit plans to close the power "hole" that distinguished the 065/2 from Mercedes in this unfortunate season, but the engineers headed by Hywel Thomas (who replaced Andy Cowell in the summer) the intention to raise the bar further, forcing all the other Constructors to

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 21:33
SmallSoldier wrote:
Key discussing Mclaren’s approach

I was confused by that too. Although when I looked at regs a few weeks ago I did notice a couple of different dates. I kind of skimmed them. Didn't really try and analyse them.

godlameroso

So 1,045 hp? That's a lot.
Saishū kōnā

Chicane

The 2021 floor and diffuser regulations may play in to McLaren' hands to balance the car which has a relatively weak front end. McLaren is pretty good with rear tyre life but front tyre wear dictates their race pace. Most tracks on the calendar are front limited and this is why Mclaren have been relatively stronger in qualifying than races.
Quickshifter

Ground Effect

Was there a deadline for suspension, or do they have freedom to work on it like aero?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR

Chicane wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 07:41
The 2021 floor and diffuser regulations may play in to McLaren' hands to balance the car which has a relatively weak front end. McLaren is pretty good with rear tyre life but front tyre wear dictates their race pace. Most tracks on the calendar are front limited and this is why Mclaren have been relatively stronger in qualifying than races.
The new front wing had pretty decent df. If they get it to work the front end problems might get significantly ameliorated.

NiyolHuayra

Any photos for this week yet?

SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:So 1,045 hp? That's a lot.
I’m pretty surprised... Although, it was expected that they were going to make some gains, it’s amazing how they keep developing it.

SmallSoldier

NiyolHuayra wrote:Any photos for this week yet?
With the weekend been a 2 day event, we may not get any until tomorrow or Saturday before they go into the only practice session.