[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 12:24
Great recovery from Sainz, from p15 to p5!! =D> =D>

Norris fast lap was impressive too, despite his really poor start (again)

Damage limitation at its best after Saturday results. Will be difficult to beat RP tough, I was expecting them to fall down during the season, but they're actually improving!
He did seem to have several fastest laps (to that time) so possibly it is his passing holding him back?
Then again, if you collide it doesn't matter how fast you are, you are off. Points for finishers only.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

I keep saying it, but consistency is the only thing missing from Norris. He has speed, he wouldn't qualify where he does if he didn't. Just needs to put it together over a race distance, he has a ways to go, but definitely has what it takes to get there with just a little self discipline. Maybe he should take up boxing like Sainz does.
Saishū kōnā

Chicane
Chicane

As the competitiveness of the car improves the expectations of the team from it's drivers only increases proportionately. Lando was wise to keep his powder dry in the first half of the race and unleashed his pace in the second half but by then he was too far off.

It was not just the start,the whole first lap was nightmarish from Lando. In f1 when you want big results you have to do most things right and Lando drove brilliantly in the second half but his first start and first lap sealed his fate.

Next season when McLaren will be aiming to get closer to Redbull, Lando will be in his third season and he will be expected to push Ricciardo if not beat him. 2021 will decide if Lando is a future world champion material or someone who just has a decent career in f1.
Quickshifter

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Damage limitation at its best after Saturday results. Will be difficult to beat RP tough, I was expecting them to fall down during the season, but they're actually improving!
He did seem to have several fastest laps (to that time) so possibly it is his passing holding him back?
Then again, if you collide it doesn't matter how fast you are, you are off. Points for finishers only.
I don’t think that his passing is lacking... If we are discussing the last race in particular, the conditions at the beginning of the race made it not only hard to follow the cars in front due to the lack of downforce and overall grip, it was also not advisable to try and put a move by going out of the racing line, where the grip was even lesser.

Once the track started to dry out, the drivers could start making overtakes as we saw with both Sainz and Norris in the second half of the race.

If we are discussing the season as a whole, I also believe that the MCL35 struggles more than others to keep downforce when close to another car and the lack of passing is more a function of the car weakness than the capacity of the drivers (as we saw for example at Monza between Carlos and Gasly... Carlos had more pace, but as soon as he was in within 2 seconds of Gasly it was impossible for him to close that gap even more).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chrisgr
chrisgr

Are we talking about this guy? :D :D

mwillems

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-f ... le-for-p3/

An interview with Seidl regarding Ferraris resurgence and his feelings towards the fact that in hindsight, they probably protected their tyres more than they needed to and could have pushed for a podium.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

I felt, although entertaining, the race as a whole was kind of a nightmare.

The surface was so slippery that FP was a waste. We didn't learn anything about the cars that could be applicable to other tracks in quali or the race and the race results has just about dropped Renault out of the best of the rest race. When they really deserved better.

_cerber1

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 05:28

The surface was so slippery that FP was a waste. We didn't learn anything about the cars that could be applicable to other tracks in quali or the race and the race results has just about dropped Renault out of the best of the rest race. When they really deserved better.
I hope you are right, but I can only feel that they are very much in it, along with Ferrari. A 13 point deficit with 3 races... I wish I had your confidence!

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 20:34
diffuser wrote:

I hope you are right, but I can only feel that they are very much in it, along with Ferrari. A 13 point deficit with 3 races... I wish I had your confidence!
I guess you're right. I'm really feeling that midfield battle. Really pulling for McLaren but I also wouldn't mind Renault getting in there. RP...no so much.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 00:42
mwillems wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 20:34
diffuser wrote:

I guess you're right. I'm really feeling that midfield battle. Really pulling for McLaren but I also wouldn't mind Renault getting in there. RP...no so much.
lol Yeah, I'd like RP to drop back, but then I've always been a fan of the Aston Martin marque, so I'm not sure how I will feel about that in the future, as I'd rather like that carmaker to do well, and a successful F1 team wouldn't do them any harm.

Jackles-UK

The rain and general lack of surface grip benefitted the Ferrari’s which otherwise would have really been struggling with the long straights. They generate good grip but but lack engine power and have too much drag, issues which were both negated by the rain as none of the cars were really at full throttle at any point until the closing stages.

The final two circuits are likely to be far more painful for them, particularly the Bahrain “oval” which is basically just three straights with some hair pins in-between. The Renault’s, on the other hand, have gone very well at tracks like that this season as have McLaren (Austria, Monza) and the RP’s (Russia, Imola) so I still expect a really close three-way battle for 3rd place between those three teams.

Andres125sx

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 18:14
Big Tea wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

I don’t think that his passing is lacking... If we are discussing the last race in particular, the conditions at the beginning of the race made it not only hard to follow the cars in front due to the lack of downforce and overall grip, it was also not advisable to try and put a move by going out of the racing line, where the grip was even lesser.

Once the track started to dry out, the drivers could start making overtakes as we saw with both Sainz and Norris in the second half of the race.
Actually it´s the other way around, at the beginning there was no racing line (ie the track was full of water all around, no dry line) and the grip was so low they were extremelly slow, so DF was minimal and dirty air problem was at its minimum. Add to that those difficult conditions increase driver mistakes increasing ovetaking chances

Once the line dried up a bit it was more difficult to overtake as grip was significantly lower out of the line, and since cars were faster (at the racing line) dirty air problem increased.

Problem was Lando´s start wich he defined himself as his worst ever. Then he did a solid race from that point, but he must improve starts significantly, they´re crucial in F1

stevesingo
stevesingo

mwillems wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 02:11

An interview with Seidl regarding Ferraris resurgence and his feelings towards the fact that in hindsight, they probably protected their tyres more than they needed to and could have pushed for a podium.
I have thought for some time McLaren have been a little too conservative with their strategies. Turkey was a real opportunity to role the dice, given the conditions. They could have split the strategies and boxed one car (Lando) earlier for inters as LeClerc did. If you are reacting to the cars in front of you, you are always on the back foot.

Lando was within a second of LeClerc when LeClec boxed on L6. Once Lando had completed his first full lap after his stop, he was 6.6 sec down and 4 paces further back despite having a a faster in lap(2s), stopped lap(3s) and out lap(3.7s).

Discount the faster in lap, ah Lando was being held up by LeClerc, Lando could have been over 6 secs further up the road after LeClerc boxed.

M840TR
M840TR

stevesingo wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 10:05
mwillems wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 02:11

I have thought for some time McLaren have been a little too conservative with their strategies. Turkey was a real opportunity to role the dice, given the conditions. They could have split the strategies and boxed one car (Lando) earlier for inters as LeClerc did. If you are reacting to the cars in front of you, you are always on the back foot.

Lando was within a second of LeClerc when LeClec boxed on L6. Once Lando had completed his first full lap after his stop, he was 6.6 sec down and 4 paces further back despite having a a faster in lap(2s), stopped lap(3s) and out lap(3.7s).

Discount the faster in lap, ah Lando was being held up by LeClerc, Lando could have been over 6 secs further up the road after LeClerc boxed.
Can't stress this enough. When Leclerc was setting purples on his outlap I was screaming internally for them to box at least one driver but they did like 7 unnecessary laps on old wets. Even in Imola they could've let one driver out given how hard overtaking was.