[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: McLaren MCL35

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 10:47
Herr_Koos wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 09:39
mclaren111 wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 09:21
Car Name discussion belongs in Team tread...
This is the team thread.
I think not... This is Car - MCL35 - technical related tread...
Scroll to the top of the page - it very clearly says: "[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault"
"In downforce we trust"

Mclarensenna

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

adrianjordan wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 10:31
Mclarensenna wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 10:38
adrianjordan wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 10:28

Convenient that you ignore races where Mclaren set the fastest lap.
"depending on GP the decifit goes from 0.4 to 1 second and that is the maximum."
That was the comment i was replying to which greatly under estimates the gap Mclaren have to Mercedes still in race pace. So yes that statement is not entirely accurate as the gap varies from 1- to even 2.5 seconds even in race pace.
I did not conveniently ignore anything so not sure what you are on about. But sure if you want to discuss i am here to help. Which races were Mclaren faster and i will analyze it for you :)
It's just not as simple as you make out though.

McLaren are rarely, if ever in clean air during a race, so their entire setup and strategy are going to be sub-optimal because of dirty air and having to protect from cars around them.

There have been races where McLaren have been setting comparable lap times to Merc and RBR for prolonged stints and have set fastest lap, without pitting for fresh tyres etc. I don't have the data here to back that up because, well simply I don't have any data because I have too busy a life to have time to look that stuff up.

Simply put, none of us on here can possibly know the actual potential speed of any of the cars. So we cannot declare that any team is X amount faster or slower. Despite what many armchair experts will claim, we absolutely do not have enough information available to us.
"There have been races where McLaren have been setting comparable lap times to Merc and RBR for prolonged stints and have set fastest lap, without pitting for fresh tyres etc. I don't have the data here to back that up because, well simply I don't have any data because I have too busy a life to have time to look that stuff up."

<--------- If you are too busy and have no data then why are you replying to a thread disputing my data calling it false and actually quoting your own data as correct?
You stated this data "There have been races where McLaren have been setting comparable lap times to Merc and RBR for prolonged stints and have set fastest lap," <---- where exactly are these races you speak of ?

Thunder

djos wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 11:07
mclaren111 wrote:
Herr_Koos wrote:

This is the team thread.
Scroll to the top of the page - it very clearly says: "[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault"
I moved some Posts from the Car thread to the Team Thread. I made a post in the Car Thread, but seemingly there is confusion. But yes, this is the Team Thread, even if the Headline on some posts says it's the Car Thread. These sadly dont get updated when Mods move posts.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Holm86

djos wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
Herr_Koos wrote:

This is the team thread.
To be fair, the discussion did take place in the car thread, and has since been moved to this thread by an admin :-)

mclaren111

djos wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
Herr_Koos wrote:

This is the team thread.
Sorry... I see some MCL35 Treads was displayed.... #-o #-o

diffuser

So Alonso has been driving the 2018 Renault to get familiar with the Renault. Now Saintz will be driving around with the 2018 Ferrari fairly soon cause well 3 days of winter testing isn't enough. It will not be long that we'll here Ricardo is gonna be driving around with a 2018 McLaren (well that might not happen cause they might not get permission from Renault). Maybe Perez with RBR if that happens. I guess I don't get it. Once you're down there for 3 days ...why not do 5 or 6 ? I mean it isn't the track, that's probably 10K a day, split by 10 teams is peanuts. It isn't the flights cause the price is the same if you stay for 3 days or 6.Hell. Stay 8 days (Wed -Fri, weekend break, Mon-Wed) and you have your 2 tests. This is nuts.

djos

diffuser wrote:
27 Nov 2020, 00:15
So Alonso has been driving the 2018 Renault to get familiar with the Renault. Now Saintz will be driving around with the 2018 Ferrari fairly soon cause well 3 days of winter testing isn't enough. It will not be long that we'll here Ricardo is gonna be driving around with a 2018 McLaren (well that might not happen cause they might not get permission from Renault). Maybe Perez with RBR if that happens. I guess I don't get it. Once you're down there for 3 days ...why not do 5 or 6 ? I mean it isn't the track, that's probably 10K a day, split by 10 teams is peanuts. It isn't the flights cause the price is the same if you stay for 3 days or 6.Hell. Stay 8 days (Wed -Fri, weekend break, Mon-Wed) and you have your 2 tests. This is nuts.
The only reason Alonso is driving the 2018 Renault is to get his F1 match fitness back - as he said himself, no other race car is as physically and mentally demanding as an F1 car (I'm paraphrasing).
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
Yeah I think just three days of testing for these types of cars is mad. For other teams not as much but for Mclaren with an engine change, it's harsh, this will force them to be quite conservative I suppose.

I do think there will be a decent cost saving here, but I'd say the value of Return on Investment in testing is so high that it is worth it. It is the teams who have more ground to pick up and who have an engine change that will suffer.

I'm not worried about Ricciardo not getting a look in till next year though, I think he will pick it up very quickly.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

djos wrote:
27 Nov 2020, 00:59
diffuser wrote:
The only reason Alonso is driving the 2018 Renault is to get his F1 match fitness back - as he said himself, no other race car is as physically and mentally demanding as an F1 car (I'm paraphrasing).
That's only one piece of what I said. Plus Alonso himself said it was to learn the buttons on the steering wheel and work with e setups.

djos

That sort of thing can be learned in the simulator, the physical and mental fitness can’t be.
"In downforce we trust"

NiyolHuayra

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... erview-f1/ - Pre race weekend read. James Key interview.

Lucky

Lucky

JRindt

Looks like Mclaren had the least in season development despite the upgrades

Sorry for the poor quality of image. Screenshotted it while watching sky coverage of FP1 and my internet is not that great #-o

Ground Effect

JRindt wrote:
27 Nov 2020, 15:20
Looks like Mclaren had the least in season development despite the upgrades

https://ibb.co/rmVtLvb

Sorry for the poor quality of image. Screenshotted it while watching sky coverage of FP1 and my internet is not that great #-o
Is this a Sky analysis?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.