[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Chicane

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

MCL35 does not have the ride quality over bumps like Redbull, AT, RP and Renault. This has been one of the issues McLaren have been trying to fix since last season. I also feel they failed to arrive at an optimal the ride height. Hopefully overnight they will do some changes to improve the car before FP3.
Quickshifter

Macklaren

Emag wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 21:50
Yeah I tend to jinx stuff hard when I expect good performances. Sorry guys, am taking the blame for this one :P
LOL. you can make up for this by telling us how disastrous next weekend in Abu Dhabi is going to be! :P

CjC
CjC

The old wind problem had come up again #-o
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... AmRjs.html
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 10:24
The old wind problem had come up again #-o
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... AmRjs.html
I'm never sure if that hasn't become the "catch-all" reason. But if it is the case, today and tomorrow can change again, so hopefully it will be resolved.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

I feel like we have that car for the slow end of Q3 now, and hopefully there might be room for a surprise in there.

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:I feel like we have that car for the slow end of Q3 now, and hopefully there might be room for a surprise in there.
At least there isn’t a big pace disparity as yesterday... The Renault’s look very fast though and will probably qualify ahead of us.

It’s going to be tricky and I hope Mclaren is going for a setup that even when not optimal for qualifying, it will protect the tires for the race, that was key for the result last weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chicane

Two words, tow and traffic, will decide qualifying today.
Quickshifter

Emag

A little better today, hopefully they manage to extract a little more for quali.

If they lose points, it better be mostly against Renault. And it seems like AlphaTauri is in the mix to take some points as well, so it might not turn out to be that disastrous in terms of points even if they struggle a bit on the race.

Darth-Piekus

Considering we have a 17 point lead over RP and a 27 Point lead over Renault we don't really need to be in front of them. As long as we gather at least enough points to make us keep a single point in difference in the final constructors table then the year is successful.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 17:32
A little better today, hopefully they manage to extract a little more for quali.

If they lose points, it better be mostly against Renault. And it seems like AlphaTauri is in the mix to take some points as well, so it might not turn out to be that disastrous in terms of points even if they struggle a bit on the race.
Hopefully. I do think Renault and RP are ahead. And we might be fighting with Gasly. But even if we start 11th and 12th then I'd not be too upset.

This track should offer overtaking, so fresh tyres and a free strategy choice would be good. I would be less concerned about qualy as we usually are.

the EDGE

It’s going to be close in the midfield, many factors could decide 4-14. A good quali will pay off at the start where I would expect some clashes in the midfield on the first lap.

Race pace & strategy are going to be really important factors tomorrow, with the high degradation and possibility to overtake

Best of luck to the team, tomorrow should be entertaining what ever happens, really looking forward to it

mwillems

Aside from all the strategy, one of the biggest threats to Mclaren's 3rd place spot is Stroll ending his poor form and placing the car where it deserves to be come the end of the race, in all my thoughts about Mclaren v RP, I feel like I've assumed that his form will continue. Because they can easily get 22+ points in a race if they both finish where they should do.

101FlyingDutchman

Having a clean way of getting through q1 is the overriding priority. So easy to get your runs compromised. I’m also less bothered about Q3 on this track. Opposing strat and good tire conservation can really pay dividends here. Set the car up to be on the slippery side on the straights should aid overtaking as long as you don’t compromise tire wear

Emag

With what we have seen so far, this weekend it's gonna be all about damage limitation for the last race. They might surprise us on quali, but realistically speaking, it is going to be tough.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 18:28
With what we have seen so far, this weekend it's gonna be all about damage limitation for the last race. They might surprise us on quali, but realistically speaking, it is going to be tough.
Yes. Perez also has a fresh engine on a track full of straights too, now I think about it.

OK this really is a big weekend.
Hopefully luck falls our way or they manage to strap some rockets on to the car.