[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

mwillems

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 22:39
I can't wait for the next year to start and curious to see if we are gonna put resources on next year since all cars will be reset for 2022.
Mclaren are kicking off their 2022 work on January the 1st (Probably 2nd) as they have stated they will.

I think it depends on how good the 2021 car is from the outset. If it is clear 3rd best then they can perhaps stop development from the first race and move exclusively to the 2022 car.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

adrianjordan

Not forgetting the downside of finishing 3rd, they get less R&D time than if they had finished 4th or 5th etc.

With 2022 looming I wouldn't have considered finishing lower and getting the extra time that bad a trade off!!

Ah well. The problems of success eh!! Lol
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

the EDGE

adrianjordan wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 23:59
Not forgetting the downside of finishing 3rd, they get less R&D time than if they had finished 4th or 5th etc.

With 2022 looming I wouldn't have considered finishing lower and getting the extra time that bad a trade off!!

Ah well. The problems of success eh!! Lol
I believe the difference between 3rd & 4th next year is 95% & 97.5% of maximum time next year. This changes for the following year which I think might be 90% & 95% for the same finishing positions

ScottR267

Looks like only Estrella Galicia (as expected) and automation anywhere have left the team. Surprising the latter has left as I am sure they only joined for 2020 on what was described as a multi year contract at the time.

Interestingly Richard Mille is also now sponsoring Ferrari as well as McLaren, Alfa Romeo and Haas.

Emag

ScottR267 wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 12:24

Looks like only Estrella Galicia (as expected) and automation anywhere have left the team. Surprising the latter has left as I am sure they only joined for 2020 on what was described as a multi year contract at the time.

Interestingly Richard Mille is also now sponsoring Ferrari as well as McLaren, Alfa Romeo and Haas.
Wouldn't worry too much about one or two sponsors leaving. The marketability of the team should be even greater this year due to that 3rd place. Zak has done better with less. He will probably bring more investors throughout this year.

ScottR267

Emag wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 13:51
ScottR267 wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 12:24

Wouldn't worry too much about one or two sponsors leaving. The marketability of the team should be even greater this year due to that 3rd place. Zak has done better with less. He will probably bring more investors throughout this year.
I agree with you! It appears long gone of the days of the 2010’s decade of bleeding sponsor and the bigger sponsors at that! The car will still be full of stickers and no doubt Zak has probably replaced these already and with McLarens upwards trajectory potentially bigger sponsors

diffuser

I think the prospect of a strong midfield race in 2021 doesn't hurt either.

mwillems

Is it time for testing yet?

Unless PhilipM is able to drop some spoilers ahead of testing, we have another 2 months to get some understanding of what might have been achieved.

Let's all hold hands and stand in a circle....

"PhilipM can you hear us...? PhilipM we are calling you to this world, tell us your secrets..!"

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 01:25
Is it time for testing yet?

Unless PhilipM is able to drop some spoilers ahead of testing, we have another 2 months to get some understanding of what might have been achieved.

Let's all hold hands and stand in a circle....

"PhilipM can you hear us...? PhilipM we are calling you to this world, tell us your secrets..!"
=D> :lol: :lol: =D>

Espresso

Let's correct the wrong assumption about 4th place and 3rd place!

MCL duly earned 3rd place with full remarks.
End of debate!

Nothing 'stolen' due to penalty points.
It's the other way....

Despite penalty points RP still manage to steal 4th place (and almost also 3rd place) with a fully 3D scanned/cloned car.

What would happen if other cloned parts would not be allowed and/or other illegal elements were identified (and not shoved under the rug)?
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

mwillems

Espresso wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 23:15

End of debate!

It's the other way....

Despite penalty points RP still manage to steal 4th place (and almost also 3rd place) with a fully 3D scanned/cloned car.

What would happen if other cloned parts would not be allowed and/or other illegal elements were identified (and not shoved under the rug)?
What debate? Nobody was talking about it. You started a debate by yourself that was long since gone, and then ended the conversation with yourself, effectively shutting yourself down. Err, well done?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =D> =D> =D>

I'm guessing you're bored lol

trinidefender

Espresso wrote:

End of debate!

It's the other way....

What are you going on about? Who said anything about stealing 3rd?

adrianjordan

trinidefender wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 01:41
Espresso wrote:

End of debate!

It's the other way....

What are you going on about? Who said anything about stealing 3rd?
I have seen some YouTubers commenting that McLaren only got third because RP were docked those 15 points. I think that may be what they're responding to.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️