[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
e30ernest
e30ernest

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Great post! I have always thought the Mercs didn't only have the best engine during those years, but the best aero or close to the best aero as well. So I guess they've sufficiently sandbagged enough to push everyone else to go and copy Red Bull, which gave them more room to grow their own concepts. No wonder they have kept their dominance for so long. This team has been truly impressive!

SiLo

Quite funny really, Mercedes have been playing everyone the entire time and nobody even knew. They are so far ahead in every aspect of the sport it just makes me laugh.
Felipe Baby!

nzjrs

SiLo wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 12:51
Quite funny really, Mercedes have been playing everyone the entire time and nobody even knew. They are so far ahead in every aspect of the sport it just makes me laugh.
I think everyone knows.....

SiLo

nzjrs wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 13:15
SiLo wrote:
I think everyone knows.....
They had an idea that Maybe they were sandbagging, but not that they were making a conscious effort to disguise specifics of the cars that were valuable to them. Driving a bit slower to hide pace is obvious, but they way they did it and the reasons for it were very specific and done to give them an advantage and mislead the rest of the grid.
Felipe Baby!

Moore77

SiLo wrote:
Since 2014, arm chair experts here kept putting down the Chassis strength of Mercedes cars, claiming Red Bull had the best chassis and they lacked a good power unit. Thanks to John Owen, he really confirm in the article that some folks were right in pushing those arm chair experts back on their claims. Their cars couldn't have been seconds a lap faster, purely on PU alone, but no, some believed, it was all engine. He really mocks, not just those arm chair experts here, but all those so called pundits on print and digital media who peddled the same lines and Mercedes was happy with that!

In one of his Video interviews, James Vowels said (at 01:37 below), they never really ran their PU in aggressive mode, even in Bahrain 2014. Such was the strength of that package.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Moore77 wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 13:23
He really mocks, not just those arm chair experts here, but all those so called pundits on print and digital media who peddled the same lines and Mercedes was happy with that!
They were led that way by Horner etc. who kept shouting that if only they had a better PU they'd win the title. Horner kept saying that Red Bull had the best chassis and aero and the media/pundits bought it hook, line and sinker.

Mercedes just kept quiet and kept winning. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

I wish we had seen the Mercs run at their absolute best at least once in 2014, I think it would have been hilarious to watch.
Felipe Baby!

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 13:35
Moore77 wrote:
He really mocks, not just those arm chair experts here, but all those so called pundits on print and digital media who peddled the same lines and Mercedes was happy with that!
They were led that way by Horner etc. who kept shouting that if only they had a better PU they'd win the title. Horner kept saying that Red Bull had the best chassis and aero and the media/pundits bought it hook, line and sinker.

I'd love to hear Horner respond to this now. To see what he says about the Mercedes being a dominnat chassis with dominant aero to go with the PU.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

I posted a comment on this thread yesterday, 5 November 2020 but I don’t see it. Two people have to have read it as both gave it a rating, one up one down, although it’s nowhere to be seen now. Why might that be?

Baulz
Baulz

Just_a_fan wrote:
Moore77 wrote:

McLaren fell for the same thing when they had the Honda engine, thinking it was the only thing holding them back.

It is interesting timing for Mercedes to let this story out, with the rules for next year it is almost a guarantee they will win again, then the new rules for 2022 to start fresh.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Slo Poke wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 16:48
I posted a comment on this thread yesterday, 5 November 2020 but I don’t see it. Two people have to have read it as both gave it a rating, one up one down, although it’s nowhere to be seen now. Why might that be?
A mod will have deleted it. Someone may have reported it as inappropriate or the mod found it themselves and thought it to be inappropriate.

It's not unusual - I've had it happen to me on occasion, as have others - but it would be nice if the mod that did the deleting let us know and the reason why.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

Slo Poke wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 18:47
Okay! I’m just a Some Weirdo that writes out there comments. So I guess I’ll call it a day...

aral
aral

Just a reminder that this thread is about the actual Mercedes team, and not about mgus etc. If you want to discuss hardware, please use the hardware forum. Further off-topic posts will be removed

djones
djones

Just_a_fan wrote:
Moore77 wrote:

Exactly this. Every single race without fail one of the Redbull team is on the radio trying to make a point of the engine. Even the last race there was something like "your faster everywhere Max, its just 0.5 on the straights your losing".

El Scorchio

djones wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 11:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
Moore77 wrote:

Exactly this. Every single race without fail one of the Redbull team is on the radio trying to make a point of the engine. Even the last race there was something like "your faster everywhere Max, its just 0.5 on the straights your losing".
Its fair to say there is a different dynamic there as Mercedes are one team with chassis/engine and you can't call out your own. However, even though Honda and RBR are 'separate' and just partners, that certainly doesn't make it ok.

I think Merc are so successful in part because of this 'we win and lose as one' philosophy. When things don't go well, all parts come together and collaborate to try to raise their collective game which helps the team improve in all areas.

If you have the chassis/aero guys like at Red Bull saying 'well it's not OUR fault!' then they are less likely to look within and try to improve when they can put any shortcomings onto someone else. (First Renault, now Honda) Without that introspection and willingness to do better or shoulder part of the responsibility, you are never going to progress enough.

It comes from the top. You never hear Toto blaming any part of the team or car/engine design. Horner has called out engine suppliers on numerous occasions.