[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dave kumar

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

bosyber wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 17:49
Well put, and very interesting, and sort of ties in with with the article I came in here to post:
The Race - How Mercedes designed f1s best car but kept it secret:
“That car was the first car to have everything done the right way,” says chief designer John Owen.
Great article, thanks for sharing. I came across this related piece in the same publication and also by Scott Mitchell...
The incredible origin story of the mercedes f1 era
...Wind back the clocks to how it all began and Mercedes simply started early, was well prepared, avoided the problems that engulfed its opponents and swept all before it. Then never stopped. Those who believe that don’t know how close the all-conquering engine programme of 2014, which started all we see today, had come to crisis just a few months before...

As the simplistic assessment of how the Mercedes era began is recited to Andy Cowell, Mercedes’ former engine chief, he starts to smile and shake his head.

“That is a wholly wrong perception,” Cowell, managing director of Mercedes High Performance Powertrains from the start of 2013 until earlier this year, tells The Race.
There are lots of great insights in this article, too many to post here
Formerly known as senna-toleman

Morteza

There's also this video and an episode of podcast dedicated to it :D

The Race F1 Podcast - Secrets of Mercedes’ rise to F1 power
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bosyber
bosyber

Usually I'd find that level of stuff like milking it a bit much, but have to say, so much content to digest there that it deserves it!

Moore77

7 WORLD TITLE DOUBLES - THE GREATEST TEAM IN HISTORY OF F1

CONGRATULATIONS TO MERCEDES AND LEWIS HAMILTON =D> =D> =D>
Last edited by Steven on 15 Nov 2020, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reverted to regular font size
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

zibby43
zibby43

LM10
LM10

Seb puts it in a nutshell. Nothing more to say, in my opinion.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 16:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfZl1BoO3Vk

Yes, he summed it up well. I particularly like his point about comparing eras - something many of us have been saying for years. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

LM10 wrote:

I feel sorry for Seb. He was the one rival who could stop Lewis reaching seven. It was expected the two of them would fight neck and neck after each title. Vettel could have been on six and Lewis five.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

sprint car76
sprint car76

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

LM10 wrote:

very much respect for this interview and seb's respect for lewis.
interestingly though, Seb is the one closest to being able to achieve and beat Hamilton still,
but quite frankly i can only see that happening if Hamilton no longer has that dominant car available to him.

If Vettel would get that Merc seat in 2021 somehow and it's still as dominant,
or if Vettel's Aston Martin in 2021, perhaps as of 2022 is as potent/dominant/capable as the Merc is now,
or the RedBull WAS, then Vettel surely will find his mojo back and be the force to be reckoned with.
He is STILL, the only real threat to Hamilton's title challenge in the past years outside of his own teammate.
Verstappen came closer and closer, but never was as much of a contender as Seb was in the Ferrari.

Now imagine 2021 Seb being a contender for the title with Aston Martin, aswell as Max with RedBull, and Hamilton,
and let's imagine shock-o-shock, BOTTAS or MAX gets the title (Fernando?), then Lewis is stuck with 7 titles into the new 2022 F1 era.

Let's concider the possibility that the competition is closer in 2022, now Lewis has to really fight. Vettel is hungry, etc. Lewis has 7 titles, Seb Vettel has 4.
If Seb actually grabs the title in 2022, then he has 5, and would ONLY need 2 more titles to be on par with both his great hero Schumacher AND the current great Hamilton.

I would really like to see Hamilton stay in F1 whilst Seb gets some titles, grabbing them with Aston Martin, and Lewis just shy. So let's say 2024 Seb snatches the F1 championship again, which would make him get 3 titles in a row, reminiscent of the RBR days.

It would mean we would enter the 2025 F1 season with two 7-time WDC competitors (Hamilton and Vettel), and either of them is going for the title which could set them beyond the legendary Schumacher's tally.
Either Hamilton will get 8 titles, or Seb.

Perhaps it'll be 2026, and Max, Alonso or LeClerc will get another title in between.
(In all fairness, I am growing in my belief that neither LeClerc nor Verstappen are going to get a WDC title. not that they're not up for it, or capable, but never in the right place at the right time.)

I for one would absolutely relish the challenge of Hamilton @ Mercedes vs Vettel @ Aston Martin.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zeph
zeph

LM10 wrote:

class act :thumbsup:

PlatinumZealot

Manoah2u wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 00:10

It would mean we would enter the 2025 F1 season with two 7-time WDC competitors (Hamilton and Vettel), and either of them is going for the title which could set them beyond the legendary Schumacher's tally.

Perhaps it'll be 2026, and Max, Alonso or LeClerc will get another title in between.
(In all fairness, I am growing in my belief that neither LeClerc nor Verstappen are going to get a WDC title. not that they're not up for it, or capable, but never in the right place at the right time.)

I for one would absolutely relish the challenge of Hamilton @ Mercedes vs Vettel @ Aston Martin.
I think Seb had blown his load in 2018. If he ever comes back to form it might be a first for any driver. In other sports it has happened though but still a rare occurrence.

Sebastian's first goal should be to destroy Lance Stroll and hope Daddy Stroll doesn't interfere.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Manoah2u wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 00:10
LM10 wrote:

very much respect for this interview and seb's respect for lewis.
interestingly though, Seb is the one closest to being able to achieve and beat Hamilton still,
but quite frankly i can only see that happening if Hamilton no longer has that dominant car available to him.

If Vettel would get that Merc seat in 2021 somehow and it's still as dominant,
or if Vettel's Aston Martin in 2021, perhaps as of 2022 is as potent/dominant/capable as the Merc is now,
or the RedBull WAS, then Vettel surely will find his mojo back and be the force to be reckoned with.
He is STILL, the only real threat to Hamilton's title challenge in the past years outside of his own teammate.
Verstappen came closer and closer, but never was as much of a contender as Seb was in the Ferrari.

Now imagine 2021 Seb being a contender for the title with Aston Martin, aswell as Max with RedBull, and Hamilton,
and let's imagine shock-o-shock, BOTTAS or MAX gets the title (Fernando?), then Lewis is stuck with 7 titles into the new 2022 F1 era.

Let's concider the possibility that the competition is closer in 2022, now Lewis has to really fight. Vettel is hungry, etc. Lewis has 7 titles, Seb Vettel has 4.
If Seb actually grabs the title in 2022, then he has 5, and would ONLY need 2 more titles to be on par with both his great hero Schumacher AND the current great Hamilton.

I would really like to see Hamilton stay in F1 whilst Seb gets some titles, grabbing them with Aston Martin, and Lewis just shy. So let's say 2024 Seb snatches the F1 championship again, which would make him get 3 titles in a row, reminiscent of the RBR days.

there very little challange for lewis against vettel, vettel has shown on multiple occasions he hasnt got even close to the measure of Lewis nowadays.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza