[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

SiLo wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 12:57
Hamilton has just found the balance that works for him, and has Angela Cullen doing a lot of mental heavy lifting for him so he can be relaxed. I think that relationship is really showing the power of having someone that can take away all the little things to allow people at the top of their game to just focus.
How do you know this? And what do you mean?
I follow Lewis closely and I never heard of this before.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Moore77 wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 11:12
Once again, Pirelli would become a limiting factor. They were happy that FIA had decided to cut the downforce by 10% for 2021, which would have surely helped them.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... V3ntS.html

If the 2021 tyres can't hold up (no news on how they compared against 2020 tyres in recent testing) and Pirelli balloons them, then it's difficult to imagine if W12 would beat the W11 times. It already happened this year and might happen again next year. It would then become hard to distinguish the development of W12.
Ha. These people are not fools. They will have a projection of how much downforce the teams would have made in 2021 without aero limits. So the ten percent cut is not associated with this years downforce but the projected downforce.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 12:57
zibby43 wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 07:27
Fascinating quote from James Allison re: how big the aero changes are for '21, as he describes what would happen if you just trimmed the floor, diffuser slats, and removed floor slots, without making any accompanying changes:

“The change in its raw, un-optimised form, just chopping the things off the car . . . and our car would go from pole to comfortably last.”
So they're seeing a c.3 second loss of performance from the initial changes? That's quite a big drop and shows how effective those floor slots are.

It will be interesting to see what effect the changes have on the cars' ability to follow each other. The slots help to keep the air under the car "clean", losing them will mean more work being done by the bargeboards and associated fences/flicks to move front tyre wake further outwards. Which means there's a risk that the wake issue will return. Or have Mercedes (and no doubt others) been able to set up enough strong vortices to send along the floor and keep the air where they want it? Perhaps using the upper surfaces of the sidepods to direct air down and outwards?
Hmm. The F1 aero map is finely balanced. So if one component on near the ground goes missing, almost everything is lost. Not to say that specific component adds that amount. It is just a link in the chain so to speak.

For example:
From actual race situations this year..
One Endplate lost about 2 tenths..
Section of bargeboard is about 3 to 4 Tenths
Broken side of the floor (cant rmember if it was a ferrari?) was nearly 1 second.
So imagine if what the whole diffuser must be? If the throat of diffuser is not working, the Rear wing also is less effective and the car is also draggier.

So James is simply saying they aero wont "link up" together and will be rendered in-effective if these rules are applied without the necessary information processing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Moore77

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 15:54
Moore77 wrote:
Once again, Pirelli would become a limiting factor. They were happy that FIA had decided to cut the downforce by 10% for 2021, which would have surely helped them.

If the 2021 tyres can't hold up (no news on how they compared against 2020 tyres in recent testing) and Pirelli balloons them, then it's difficult to imagine if W12 would beat the W11 times. It already happened this year and might happen again next year. It would then become hard to distinguish the development of W12.
Ha. These people are not fools. They will have a projection of how much downforce the teams would have made in 2021 without aero limits. So the ten percent cut is not associated with this years downforce but the projected downforce.
Well. We have seen how the 2020 tyre situation transpired when they tested in 2019! Every single team thwacked the 2020 compounds, which forced Pirelli to continue using 2019 tyres in 2020, with balloon tyre pressures. Every year, barring 2017 and 2018, they have made blunders in their compound construction leaving teams completely unhappy with tyres. What is that which would make one feel optimistic for 2021?
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

e30ernest

Moore77 wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 16:24
PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 15:54
Moore77 wrote:

Well. We have seen how the 2020 tyre situation transpired when they tested in 2019! Every single team thwacked the 2020 compounds, which forced Pirelli to continue using 2019 tyres in 2020, with balloon tyre pressures. Every year, barring 2017 and 2018, they have made blunders in their compound construction leaving teams completely unhappy with tyres. What is that which would make one feel optimistic for 2021?
Yeah I think unless there were some old school tire-tests, Pirelli would have difficulty getting the compounds right. I don't think the teams would be pushing much either so they probably won't be showing the real loads their cars are capable of.

TAG

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 15:18
SiLo wrote:
Hamilton has just found the balance that works for him, and has Angela Cullen doing a lot of mental heavy lifting for him so he can be relaxed. I think that relationship is really showing the power of having someone that can take away all the little things to allow people at the top of their game to just focus.
I think what he means is that Angela allows him to not have to lose focus, always handing Lewis his hair band, his gear in the right order, nothing is forgotten. The food is optimized for the day, when he's sick she changes his diet for him, it's that kinds of support that I think is key. Besides the physio stuff she does for him.

I'll tell you a story that made me see how the ultra rich can have support in their lives that mere mortals will never experience.

Many years ago I used to install the car phones for David Letterman back in the days when his daily driver was a Pontiac Fiero and a then a Mitsubishi 3000, so you can gauge how long ago that was. One time his assistant walked me to the car to go over the installation and while on her way out of the garage, she stopped and handed one of the attendants $20 bucks. I still remember what she told the guy because I was a very revelatory moment for me as to how the world works. She said, "Pedro, he mentioned this morning on his way in that he'd run out of windshield wiper fluid, can you take care of it?"

He didn't tell her to do it, he didn't say hey give the guys at the garage some money to fill my windshield wiper fluid. She just picked up on a throwaway statement that normal people like us say out loud, and she took care of it for him. I believe that's what Angela does in Lewis' world.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Big Tea

TAG wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 16:40
PlatinumZealot wrote:
SiLo wrote:
I think what he means is that Angela allows him to not have to lose focus, always handing Lewis his hair band, his gear in the right order, nothing is forgotten. The food is optimized for the day, when he's sick she changes his diet for him, it's that kinds of support that I think is key. Besides the physio stuff she does for him.

I'll tell you a story that made me see how the ultra rich can have support in their lives that mere mortals will never experience.

Many years ago I used to install the car phones for David Letterman back in the days when his daily driver was a Pontiac Fiero and a then a Mitsubishi 3000, so you can gauge how long ago that was. One time his assistant walked me to the car to go over the installation and while on her way out of the garage, she stopped and handed one of the attendants $20 bucks. I still remember what she told the guy because I was a very revelatory moment for me as to how the world works. She said, "Pedro, he mentioned this morning on his way in that he'd run out of windshield wiper fluid, can you take care of it?"

He didn't tell her to do it, he didn't say hey give the guys at the garage some money to fill my windshield wiper fluid. She just picked up on a throwaway statement that normal people like us say out loud, and she took care of it for him. I believe that's what Angela does in Lewis' world.
Yeh, Angela looks after him like my mother used to look after me if I was ill. Except sh e probably does not make him do homework and eat greens. :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SiLo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
SiLo wrote:
It's just an observation to please don't take it as fact! Whenever we see them together she always seems to be doing all the little things for him so he doesn't have to think about them. I can see how much value that would add to an elite sportsman. Less distractions, less things to think about, more time and energy to spend on things that matter.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

TAG wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
SiLo wrote:

Great story.
Yeah it's pretty normal i would think for an assistant. That Alonso self-documtary did a good job of showing how his trainer handles things for him throughout the day.
Andrea Cullen, to me, her value comes in being an actual physiotherapits. A very good one at that. As far as i am aware she doesn't get involved in money deals or fashion deals etc if that's what he meant by mental heavy lifting. But she certainly uplifts his spirits in addition to the physio stuff.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

SiLo wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 16:57
PlatinumZealot wrote:
SiLo wrote:
It's just an observation to please don't take it as fact! Whenever we see them together she always seems to be doing all the little things for him so he doesn't have to think about them. I can see how much value that would add to an elite sportsman. Less distractions, less things to think about, more time and energy to spend on things that matter.
Ok. Because the term heavy lifting was what cought my interest. The littld mundane day to day stuff i agree.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SiLo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 17:06
SiLo wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 16:57
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Ok. Because the term heavy lifting was what cought my interest. The littld mundane day to day stuff i agree.
Yeah wrong term I think, but you know what I mean now. I think she basically tidies up all the little things around him and in his life to give him a clear headspace. At least, that's the way it seems these days. He seems to much calmer and confident and just, unfazed by things.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 16:44
Yeh, Angela looks after him like my mother used to look after me if I was ill. Except sh e probably does not make him do homework and eat greens. :mrgreen:
He's a vegan - of course he eats his greens! :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

TAG wrote:
That's what a good PA does.

In my house, SWMBO will walk in and say "Do we have any windscreen wash fluid?". And I'll say "yes" and go and fill it up for her. Not sure I'm a good PA; I'm just earning an easy brownie point. :wink: :lol:

PlatinumZealot

Bottas.... He has learned from Lewis a great deal about life. I was surprised he got married again so quickly. But I guess his wife is supporting him well.

Sadly I think he will never beat Lewis with any semblance of a normal relationship. Nico's wife had to virtually divorce herself to allow Him to focus. Bottas' new wife... Not sure if she will prepare to do that.
Remember too that Lewis dropped Nicole. She was baggage. His mind is crystal clear now. So he has that as an advantage too. No women. No Ale. No meat. Super descilplined. Hmm.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 20:29
No women. No Ale. No meat.
Makes one wonder what the point is...as the old jokes goes.