[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GPR-A

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 19:35
Big Tea wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 18:27
Interesting what he says about the new 18inch wheels. I thought I was the only person in the world that thought it was a bad change, he seems unsure
You're not alone: I think it's a bad move too. And, it appears, the teams likely do too as he explains - the current tyres are much better from a Formula 1 performance perspective than the new "fashion tyres" will be. There are people on this forum who claim that the lower profile tyres are better on their road cars and thus F1 should run them. But road cars are very much not F1 cars and you can't compare them in such a simple way.
James Allison : If you are a 13 year old boy or fan of FAST & FURIOUS, you would like it. :lol:

Big Tea

GPR-A wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 05:27
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 19:35
Big Tea wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 18:27
Interesting what he says about the new 18inch wheels. I thought I was the only person in the world that thought it was a bad change, he seems unsure
You're not alone: I think it's a bad move too. And, it appears, the teams likely do too as he explains - the current tyres are much better from a Formula 1 performance perspective than the new "fashion tyres" will be. There are people on this forum who claim that the lower profile tyres are better on their road cars and thus F1 should run them. But road cars are very much not F1 cars and you can't compare them in such a simple way.
James Allison : If you are a 13 year old boy or fan of FAST & FURIOUS, you would like it. :lol:
I did not like to state that, but must admit to thinking it more than once :oops:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Just_a_fan

I wonder if the two day test is also about helping the drivers check their car fitness. A good few laps around Silverstone will check their necks etc. and highlight any niggly areas that need work.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

lio007

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 16:44
I wonder if the two day test is also about helping the drivers check their car fitness. A good few laps around Silverstone will check their necks etc. and highlight any niggly areas that need work.
Do you know if they are limited in milage, or can they do as many laps they want?
Last edited by lio007 on 04 Jun 2020, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

GPR-A

Just_a_fan wrote:
In season, drivers doesn't spend as much time in working as hard as they do in off season on their fitness. Purely because of travel, time zone changes, pre and post race related activities. In the current situation, all the drivers are working their a** off on their fitness. So I guess fitness won't an issue. But it's the lack of racing that would pose some challenge on their racing instincts, which needs some dusting off.

For whatever reason if a driver faces a fitness niggle now, it would take a good couple of months to sort out and come back to racing. Hope to see all drivers in good shape!

Just_a_fan

GPR-A wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 17:14
Just_a_fan wrote:
In season, drivers doesn't spend as much time in working as hard as they do in off season on their fitness. Purely because of travel, time zone changes, pre and post race related activities. In the current situation, all the drivers are working their a** off on their fitness. So I guess fitness won't an issue. But it's the lack of racing that would pose some challenge on their racing instincts, which needs some dusting off.

For whatever reason if a driver faces a fitness niggle now, it would take a good couple of months to sort out and come back to racing. Hope to see all drivers in good shape!
Gym fitness is not quite the same as car fitness. The car will work some muscles in ways that are hard to replicate in a gym. It's these little things that they'll feel, not the big stuff.

Jolle

Even if it takes a few laps to get that speed back in your system. Those laps are very expensive because of PU life, available tires and gear box wear.

Plus, it’s good to have the whole team go to the routine again.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

atanatizante

Jolle wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 19:29

Those laps are very expensive because of PU life, available tires and gearbox wear.
I read on motorsport.com that they`ll use the 2018 - W09 car and I the main reason is they could run it without a mileage limit. But rumours are spreading saying the only real reason behind it is that they would try on that old PU the safety measures which were initially programmed in Australia for W11 PU ...

On another note, what`s the latest info regarding DAS system legality?
Would Red Bull file a protest again in Austria?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Just_a_fan

I think they're not allowed to run last year's car even if they wanted to.

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 21:16
I think they're not allowed to run last year's car even if they wanted to.
That's correct.

Sporting regulation 8.2
Testing of Previous Cars (TPC) shall be defined as any track running time, not part of an Event, in
which a competitor entered in the Championship participates (or in which a third party
participates on behalf of a competitor or a supplier of a homologated power unit), using cars
which were designed and built in order to comply with the Formula One Technical Regulations of
any of the three calendar years falling immediately prior to the calendar year preceding the
Championship.
I'd add this regulation is horrendously written.
197 104 103 7

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

HungarianRacer

Allegedly, this car has the exact same wheelbase as it's successors (Mercedes media team said so on their official social media platforms)... Now, tell me, does that car not look at least 10 - 15 cm longer than their 2019 competitor?... And that is with it's now very bulky-looking sidepods, which - one would think - should make it look shorter.