[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Big Tea wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 21:45
saviour stivala wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 20:25
Big Tea wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 19:33
Is Andy Cowell leaving Merc all together, that would be a loss. Him leaving and turning up at Ferrari or RBR would be even worse for the team.
And what do you expect Andy Cowell will be doing at RBR.
More concerned with what he is NOT doing at Merc really. Why swap a winning hand?
He wants to leave and go and do something else. He's been there for 16 years. Time for a new challenge. They can't make him stay.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Bill
Bill

Ever since oil burning has been clamped down Mercedes pu have not looked impressive.Renault and Honda caught them immediately Ferrari was ahead for two years they had to involve Fia to do something about them.we saw during testing that they had a lot of reliability issues I can assume they haven't got on top of them yet why else would he leave.Mercedes these years would face formidable competitor in the form of Honda.

atanatizante

Some arguments for Andy Cowell`s departure:

1. F1 power units have been falling into the law of diminishing returns for at least 2 years;
2. The near future, until 2025, looks to be a PU freeze period;
3. The fountain of ideas has been dry out;
4. Cost cap regs
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

adrianjordan

Bill wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 09:03
Ever since oil burning has been clamped down Mercedes pu have not looked impressive.Renault and Honda caught them immediately Ferrari was ahead for two years they had to involve Fia to do something about them.we saw during testing that they had a lot of reliability issues I can assume they haven't got on top of them yet why else would he leave.Mercedes these years would face formidable competitor in the form of Honda.
Right. I mean that's obviously why most unbiased commentators still rate the Merc PU as the best, or 2nd best in the sport (depending on how Ferrari do after their illegal methods have been clamped down on).

As for "why else would he leave?" Well there could be many, many reasons.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Juzh

adrianjordan wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 13:45
Right. I mean that's obviously why most unbiased commentators still rate the Merc PU as the best, or 2nd best in the sport (depending on how Ferrari do after their illegal methods have been clamped down on).
Last 2 years over the course of entire seasons it was definitely the second best, and it wasn't even close to ferrari, illegal or not. Ferrari PU was used and they weren't retroactively punished for it.

It remains to be seen what everyone's got in store for 2020 so for now we cant say all that much.

wunderkind
wunderkind

Where is Lorenzo Sassi?

Big Tea

Not speaking by first hand experience here, just what it seems to me is that he is not just good technically but a good leader team builder. Where ever he goes it would probably strengthen the unit and I hope the person or persons are in place at merc to take over the job technically and managerial.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Only true engineers understand why he left. Just like Michael Jordan.. Last dance.. When you have climbed the mountain and been on top for so long the only thing left to do is find another mountain; another challenge. (not to mention he was probably underpaid too!! Hehe)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

He'll have been paid pretty well and has been there a long time. Plenty of cash in the bank, not getting any younger, other fish to fry. It's no great surprise.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

toraabe
toraabe

Nice. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... s/4808159/
The idea behind the road-car version of the MGU-H is not to boost performance through the delivery of extra horsepower – like in F1 – but to help improve engine response time and minimise turbo lag.

It will use a slim electric motor (just 4cm) integrated onto the charger shaft, between the turbine wheel on the exhaust side and the compressor wheel on the fresh air side.

The motor will drive the compressor wheel before it accepts the exhaust gas flow. The turbocharger runs at 170,000rpm.

Its use in the road car should improve response time to throttle input and make a better overall driving feel – while also allowing higher torque at lower engine speeds.

PlatinumZealot

As I predicted in the Honda engine thread... And it is garrett too! Right on target. Much to the chagrin of some disbelievers.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach
Sevach

Pretty cool for something that is still talked even in F1 as a technological barrier to make it to road cars, well done Mercedes.

Bill
Bill

These will a final nail in the coffin for those who claim f1 engine tech is a gimmick which not road relevant like top brass at BMW .Honda will also be applying combustion chamber tech from f1 in 2025 engine lineup , we wait to see what Ferrari would do next for them it would be easy because their customers are not price sensitive.

toraabe
toraabe

I expect that the new engines in 2026 will be based on the current one, but with an increased hybrid package
Let's say that the fuel floww will be reduced to 85 Kg /h, but mgu-k will at least double the output and likewise the mgu-h. Battery capacity also has to be increased as well