[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Bill wrote:Some teams have been working on 2021 car since last year so what's the big revelation here , teams works on simultaneous project always nothing unusual.
It is expected for them to be working on the 2021 car already since it’s a big change of regulations... But, usually teams will be working on next year car, for them to be working on the 2020 car in 2018 and saying that they weren’t sure how the 2019 car would perform seems to indicate the W11 could be an impressive car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djones

I suspect they could turn up with last years car and still probably win the championship. The biggest threat was Ferrari when they were running the special engine settings/setup. It looks like that will have gone with the regulation changes, so Mercedes has been given a net gain for free.

I truly believe that to be the case and it would mean it would be silly for Mercedes to pump huge resource into 2020 as its all about 2021. To that end, I call huge doubt that the 2020 car is somehow going to be an ultra weapon.

izzy

djones wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 23:21
I suspect they could turn up with last years car and still probably win the championship. The biggest threat was Ferrari when they were running the special engine settings/setup. It looks like that will have gone with the regulation changes, so Mercedes has been given a net gain for free.

I truly believe that to be the case and it would mean it would be silly for Mercedes to pump huge resource into 2020 as its all about 2021. To that end, I call huge doubt that the 2020 car is somehow going to be an ultra weapon.
yes it'll be hard for any team to have an ultra weapon this year, with the regulations staying the same. They all had things to fix from last year and they'll all have fixed them, so they'll be pretty close now won't they. And on the engines as you say things have been tightened up, and Honda seem to have caught up, 7 years of convergence on them, so i'm not expecting any huge differences there either

Rear wheel steering could be a thing this year, might be more in the open? Mercedes have a bit of a head start with it, and operationally they're pretty hot and the car might be more consistent with setup and across the different tracks

LM10

izzy wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 00:04
djones wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 23:21

yes it'll be hard for any team to have an ultra weapon this year, with the regulations staying the same. They all had things to fix from last year and they'll all have fixed them, so they'll be pretty close now won't they. And on the engines as you say things have been tightened up, and Honda seem to have caught up, 7 years of convergence on them, so i'm not expecting any huge differences there either

Rear wheel steering could be a thing this year, might be more in the open? Mercedes have a bit of a head start with it, and operationally they're pretty hot and the car might be more consistent with setup and across the different tracks
Rear wheel steering in F1 is so old that it’s not even close to being special anymore.

izzy

LM10 wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 01:11
Rear wheel steering in F1 is so old that it’s not even close to being special anymore.
it's banned :shock: so having it is a bit special, and that's why apparently Red Bull have poached some Mercedes people

LM10

izzy wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 01:28
LM10 wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 01:11
it's banned :shock: so having it is a bit special, and that's why apparently Red Bull have poached some Mercedes people
Active yes, passive no.
And doing something which is banned is cheating, not special.

izzy

LM10 wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 01:49
Active yes, passive no.
they're only allowed 6 suspension arms. I don't know why you're being objectionable, I've seen a bit of discussion about it, how do you think they got the limo through Abu Dhabi S3 fastest by a mile, but whatever

siskue2005

izzy wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 11:56
LM10 wrote:
Active yes, passive no.
they're only allowed 6 suspension arms. I don't know why you're being objectionable, I've seen a bit of discussion about it, how do you think they got the limo through Abu Dhabi S3 fastest by a mile, but whatever
sounds fascinating, do u have the links to the discussion?

izzy

siskue2005 wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 12:18
izzy wrote:
the technical stuff so far is still from 2018 and early 2019, and i can't find the recent comment about 6 technicians being recruited by Red Bull now because it was a translation. But hopefully we'll hear something about it

izzy

Mercedes have bought (i assume) back Niki's shares, apparently: https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/4948 ... ias-lauda/

siskue2005

izzy wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 12:56
siskue2005 wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 12:18
izzy wrote:
the technical stuff so far is still from 2018 and early 2019, and i can't find the recent comment about 6 technicians being recruited by Red Bull now because it was a translation. But hopefully we'll hear something about it
I think it is a passive system used by Mercedes, good innovation

izzy

siskue2005 wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 15:25
I think it is a passive system used by Mercedes, good innovation
yes, and it seems to work doesn't it. I think suspension could be a hot area this year, apparently Ferrari's is even more complicated as well

LM10

izzy wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Active yes, passive no.
I'm not being objectionable. It was not my intention, at least. :)

You implied that what Mercedes is doing is special because it's banned and I told that this would just be cheating in my understanding.
Or maybe I've misunderstood you in the first place.

izzy

LM10 wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 22:56

You implied that what Mercedes is doing is special because it's banned and I told that this would just be cheating in my understanding.
okay cool, i am happy to debate, just being brief it can read a bit terse or dismissive :) it's difficult, having to be passive and with only 2 other members after the wishbones, doing the up/down for the rake and giving stability, steering when they want and not when they don't, and since they did slow corners the best all last year i think that counts as special. It's not just random rear steering. Now i just read that Red Bull have poached some staff for it and that Ferrari's suspension is even more complicated and at the rear especially, and so i'm predicting it could be a topic this year

LM10

izzy wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 23:37
LM10 wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 22:56

okay cool, i am happy to debate, just being brief it can read a bit terse or dismissive :) it's difficult, having to be passive and with only 2 other members after the wishbones, doing the up/down for the rake and giving stability, steering when they want and not when they don't, and since they did slow corners the best all last year i think that counts as special. It's not just random rear steering. Now i just read that Red Bull have poached some staff for it and that Ferrari's suspension is even more complicated and at the rear especially, and so i'm predicting it could be a topic this year
Really? Ferrari's suspension is even more complicated? I thought they were the ones with simple, "traditional" suspension layout. May I ask where you read that?