[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
Morteza
2290
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Ringleheim
Ringleheim
14
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:02 am

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

I wish the guys at Sky Sports would stop trying to drum up this imaginary competition between Hamilton and Bottas. They keep making it out like they are in an even fight, wondering who will get the upper hand!

I realize without an imaginary competition between the 2 Mercedes drivers there wouldn't be much competing in F1 at all right now, but come on!

Hamilton is a half second faster than Bottas whenever he needs to be. It's not a competition.

User avatar
El Scorchio
25
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Ringleheim wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:09 am
I wish the guys at Sky Sports would stop trying to drum up this imaginary competition between Hamilton and Bottas. They keep making it out like they are in an even fight, wondering who will get the upper hand!

I realize without an imaginary competition between the 2 Mercedes drivers there wouldn't be much competing in F1 at all right now, but come on!

Hamilton is a half second faster than Bottas whenever he needs to be. It's not a competition.
They’ve got to try and upsell any drama or narrative. They are trying to sell a product to people to make them watch, at the end of the day. Sky are the masters of this and will brief the whole team on what they should be saying. They are hardly going to say ‘well this will be an obvious 1-2 for Mercedes and an easy win for Hamilton again.’ Bad for business! They are as much salespeople and hype men as commentators, pundits and presenters.

Look the job they did convincing the UK/world that darts is a must watch sport!

(Apologies, this may be leading the thread grossly off topic...)

djones
djones
21
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:01 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Bottas gave another "to whom it may concern FU" speech apparently.

Which to be honest I really don't understand. The only reason he won was because of the Hamilton penalty. Personally, I would only be happy and mouthing off like that if I had deserved it via pole or good racing.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002
-2
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:52 am

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Hamilton will come back very hard on Bottas next race. wait and watch.

Bottas need to grow....

User avatar
El Scorchio
25
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

djones wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:52 pm
Bottas gave another "to whom it may concern FU" speech apparently.

Which to be honest I really don't understand. The only reason he won was because of the Hamilton penalty. Personally, I would only be happy and mouthing off like that if I had deserved it via pole or good racing.
I can understand him wanting to say something in response to all the criticism and he was clearly amped up in the moment, but it was a bit cringe, and he was slightly gifted the win.
Psychologically as well it was slightly telling.

Raleigh
Raleigh
72
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

El Scorchio wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:33 pm
djones wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:52 pm
Bottas gave another "to whom it may concern FU" speech apparently.

Which to be honest I really don't understand. The only reason he won was because of the Hamilton penalty. Personally, I would only be happy and mouthing off like that if I had deserved it via pole or good racing.
I can understand him wanting to say something in response to all the criticism and he was clearly amped up in the moment, but it was a bit cringe, and he was slightly gifted the win.
Psychologically as well it was slightly telling.
Really? Bottas was gifted nothing, he was significantly faster on the mediums and had a 39 second gap for his stop which wipes out the 10 second penalty and then some. Came back out on the hard tires 16 seconds ahead then cruised away to a 23 second advantage at the flag.

Lewis was always at a disadvantage starting on softs compared to Valtteri and Max on the mediums and would have lost that position with or without the penalty.

User avatar
El Scorchio
25
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Raleigh wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:58 pm
El Scorchio wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:33 pm
djones wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:52 pm
Bottas gave another "to whom it may concern FU" speech apparently.

Which to be honest I really don't understand. The only reason he won was because of the Hamilton penalty. Personally, I would only be happy and mouthing off like that if I had deserved it via pole or good racing.
I can understand him wanting to say something in response to all the criticism and he was clearly amped up in the moment, but it was a bit cringe, and he was slightly gifted the win.
Psychologically as well it was slightly telling.
Really? Bottas was gifted nothing, he was significantly faster on the mediums and had a 39 second gap for his stop which wipes out the 10 second penalty and then some. Came back out on the hard tires 16 seconds ahead then cruised away to a 23 second advantage at the flag.

Lewis was always at a disadvantage starting on softs compared to Valtteri and Max on the mediums and would have lost that position with or without the penalty.
I don’t think you can just state that Hamilton would have lost the position. Could have happened but it’s not a fact. Hamilton is far better on his tyres than Bottas. What is fact is that he was just completely taken out of the equation for the win by the penalties leaving only Verstappen as any sort of competition for the win, but on a track which really doesn’t suit the RB. Having Hamilton out of the equation is definitely a gift for any other driver!

Edit- to add, I’d also call it a bit of a gift to Hamilton or Verstappen if it was vice versa in the same situation

Raleigh
Raleigh
72
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

El Scorchio wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:17 pm
I don’t think you can just state that Hamilton would have lost the position. Could have happened but it’s not a fact. Hamilton is far better on his tyres than Bottas. What is fact is that he was just completely taken out of the equation for the win by the penalties leaving only Verstappen as any sort of competition for the win, but on a track which really doesn’t suit the RB. Having Hamilton out of the equation is definitely a gift for any other driver!

Edit- to add, I’d also call it a bit of a gift to Hamilton or Verstappen if it was vice versa in the same situation
Penalty certainly eliminated Lewis from any chance of the win, but realistically on the worse tire strategy he was at best fighting Verstappen.

Valtteri matched Lewis up till his stop and then started pumping in fastest laps and was steadily pulling away right up until his own stop despite Hamilton being on new hard tires. Lewis did have traffic but only slight, if I recall he only had to pass Vettel and did so very quickly.

After stops Valtteri was on newer tyres and continued to lap faster than Lewis with both cars in clear air.

Bottas has always been very good on Sochi, the track is very kind on tires which negates any advantage Lewis might have and ontop of that Bottas had the better tire strategy. Overall, even without the penalty Valtteri would have been well ahead after the pitstops and on newer tires.

User avatar
El Scorchio
25
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Raleigh wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:48 pm
El Scorchio wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:17 pm
I don’t think you can just state that Hamilton would have lost the position. Could have happened but it’s not a fact. Hamilton is far better on his tyres than Bottas. What is fact is that he was just completely taken out of the equation for the win by the penalties leaving only Verstappen as any sort of competition for the win, but on a track which really doesn’t suit the RB. Having Hamilton out of the equation is definitely a gift for any other driver!

Edit- to add, I’d also call it a bit of a gift to Hamilton or Verstappen if it was vice versa in the same situation
Penalty certainly eliminated Lewis from any chance of the win, but realistically on the worse tire strategy he was at best fighting Verstappen.

Valtteri matched Lewis up till his stop and then started pumping in fastest laps and was steadily pulling away right up until his own stop despite Hamilton being on new hard tires. Lewis did have traffic but only slight, if I recall he only had to pass Vettel and did so very quickly.

After stops Valtteri was on newer tyres and continued to lap faster than Lewis with both cars in clear air.

Bottas has always been very good on Sochi, the track is very kind on tires which negates any advantage Lewis might have and ontop of that Bottas had the better tire strategy. Overall, even without the penalty Valtteri would have been well ahead after the pitstops and on newer tires.
Well, unfortunately because of the double penalty, we will never know. As soon as it was announced it became all about damage limitation, gapping Perez and conserving the engine for Hamilton rather than anything else. Ruined what would have been a very intriguing tussle.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
480
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Morteza wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:56 am


I would love to buy a scaled model of the black W11. Which brand makes them? And where can I purchase online?
Not driving a Mercedes? Work harder!

User avatar
Big Tea
133
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:22 pm
Morteza wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:56 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iKrY4B ... el=THERACE[/url]

I would love to buy a scaled model of the black W11. Which brand makes them? And where can I purchase online?
Racing Point (1:1)
I did not believe the information, Just had to trust imagination, My heart going BoomBoomBoom Boom. Son, he said grab your things I've come to take you home.

ambientnoiz
ambientnoiz
0
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Bottas didn’t hold off lewis for the indisputable win, earning it through attrition. Who’s to say he wouldn’t have had an un-forced an error like many other good drivers who have had HAM in their mirrors? That ‘to whom it may concern’ comment was cringe as f

zibby43
zibby43
439
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:22 pm
I would love to buy a scaled model of the black W11. Which brand makes them? And where can I purchase online
Earliest W11 model should be shipping out in December:

https://www.diecastlegends.com/f1-model ... -1-18.html

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER
21
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

djones wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:52 pm
Bottas gave another "to whom it may concern FU" speech apparently.

Which to be honest I really don't understand. The only reason he won was because of the Hamilton penalty. Personally, I would only be happy and mouthing off like that if I had deserved it via pole or good racing.
BOT stayed within 3s of HAM the entire first stint, there is no guarantee that HAM would have won today without the penalty. BOT drove well today and has driven well at Sochi in several other occasions.