[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

zibby43 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 22:11
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:22
I would love to buy a scaled model of the black W11. Which brand makes them? And where can I purchase online
Earliest W11 model should be shipping out in December:

https://www.diecastlegends.com/f1-model ... -1-18.html
Nice... A bit pricey though. But this will be a classic one in the future. As much as the black is nice I feel Merc will return to silver next year.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43
zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 02:32
zibby43 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 22:11
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:22
I would love to buy a scaled model of the black W11. Which brand makes them? And where can I purchase online
Earliest W11 model should be shipping out in December:

https://www.diecastlegends.com/f1-model ... -1-18.html
Nice... A bit pricey though. But this will be a classic one in the future. As much as the black is nice I feel Merc will return to silver next year.
Yep, definitely on the pricey side. I was never really into collecting scale models, but the W11 changed my mind, and now I'm considering picking up a W10 and a W11 as we head toward the holidays. Merry Christmas to myself I guess. :lol:

You anticipated my next question re: what Merc will do with their 21 livery. The black is so sinister and unmistakable on track, but so is the silver, and it's very elegant.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

El Scorchio

Morteza wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 13:17
https://youtu.be/tdDRniK0GXg
I bloody love how he treats the cereal question with a totally straight face and a serious reasoned answer.
The man also knows the correct way to make a cup of tea.

Wynters
Wynters

Some interesting insights in the debrief:-
- They chose the Soft so that Hamilton could overtake people more effectively on the outlap? I can't help thinking that re-using that second set of Mediums would've been the better choice? Hamilton had seemed happy to put more laps on his first set so he could qualify on the Medium.
- Looks like the practice start issue rests more heavily on Hamilton's shoulders than the team's.
- They pitted Hamilton to protect Bottas (which makes sense). Looking at the lap times, it seems as if the front three were happy to drift along in the 1:41s until lap 12, when Verstappen squeezed Bottas and Hamilton was told to speed up.
Lap 12 1:41.269
Lap 13 1:40.760
Lap 14 1:39.773
Lap 15 1:39.693

Interestingly, Bottas didn't stay with Hamilton over this period, choosing not to dip into the 1:39s so he could preserve his tyres. Neither could Verstappen, who didn't get below a 1:40.646. This opens the gap between Hamilton and Bottas to 2.757. Once Hamilton pits, Bottas drops into the 1:39s, breaking any hope of Verstappen catching him.

In terms of 'fears of having to overtake Renaults'. The Renault that pitted earlier was RIcciardo and his times were no threat to Hamilton (1:41s). Ocon stayed out and was also doing 1:41s. By the time he pitted, (two laps after Hamilton), he came out 3 seconds behind him and fell away at c. 1.5 seconds per lap.

I can't help but feel that Hamilton could've got another couple of laps out of those tyres without significantly compromising himself or Bottas. However, given it doesn't appear as if the Renaults were ever really a worry, it seems that the team did want him out of the way so Bottas could get guarantee the win. Fair play to Mercedes as Hamilton was never going to catch Verstappen, so why penalise Bottas (however little) for no real benefit.
Last edited by Wynters on 30 Sep 2020, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Wynters
Wynters

I'm surprised the other teams don't do anything similar to these debriefs.

Well, maybe not surprised, but definitely disappointed :(

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 13:55

I rather think not. He mentions tea bags, after all. Proper tea is made with loose leaf in a pot and then strained in to the cup. :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wynters wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 14:42
However, given it doesn't appear as if the Renaults were ever really a worry, it seems that the team did want him out of the way so Bottas could get guarantee the win. Fair play to Mercedes as Hamilton was never going to catch Verstappen, so why penalise Bottas (however little) for no real benefit.
Exactly. Contrary to some other views, the team always puts the team win ahead of a specific driver's win. The team comes first in every decision. Thus Hamilton's chance of a win was sacrificed to ensure that Bottas got the win that he was all but guaranteed to get.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wynters wrote:
Hardly a surprise - they all drink coffee. Well, other than the drinks company and they drink fizzy rubbish. :lol:

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 15:30
Wynters wrote:
Hardly a surprise - they all drink coffee. Well, other than the drinks company and they drink fizzy rubbish. :lol:
True! Maybe they could try and engineer the perfect Jagerbomb instead :)
Or make a study of what that stuff does to your insides.... :o
I've never been able to drink red bull. It makes me unwell.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 15:00
El Scorchio wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 13:55

I rather think not. He mentions tea bags, after all. Proper tea is made with loose leaf in a pot and then strained in to the cup. :wink:
Hahahaha well that is true if we're being proper about it. But at least he's not a milk first heathen. I think Stephen Hawking once said scientifically the milk should go in last. Can't remember the reason though.... Could have been heat retention.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 15:28
Wynters wrote:
However, given it doesn't appear as if the Renaults were ever really a worry, it seems that the team did want him out of the way so Bottas could get guarantee the win. Fair play to Mercedes as Hamilton was never going to catch Verstappen, so why penalise Bottas (however little) for no real benefit.
Exactly. Contrary to some other views, the team always puts the team win ahead of a specific driver's win. The team comes first in every decision. Thus Hamilton's chance of a win was sacrificed to ensure that Bottas got the win that he was all but guaranteed to get.
I was thinking this earlier. If the priority was Hamilton, then Bottas would surely have been ordered to back everyone else up to try and give Hamilton the maximum possible gap to negate the penalty.

zibby43
zibby43

An excellent article calling out F1 and Masi for failing to enforce the rules consistently. Something that has shattered many fans' confidence in the system, which is a complete joke for an "elite level" sporting league.

LEC got away with a practice start with no further action at Spa.

Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/hamilton ... t-leclerc/

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 06:35
An excellent article calling out F1 and Masi for failing to enforce the rules consistently. Something that has shattered many fans' confidence in the system, which is a complete joke for an "elite level" sporting league.

It's been posted already. However, Mark Priestley mentioned he was going to try and have a video about it Thursday!
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 08:26
zibby43 wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 06:35

It's been posted already. However, Mark Priestley mentioned he was going to try and have a video about it Thursday!
He's really taken another step in terms of delivering great/relevant content this year. Thanks for the heads up bud.