[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

tangodjango wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 00:17
Quali laps side by side. Stonking lap from Bottas for once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Uc10ZbLoM
That is BOTs equivalent of HAM in Singapore 2018 for me. Very tidy and while others seemed out of sorts he was extremely clean. Not nearly the same fanfare or gap achieved to teammate, but that looked very tidy.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

El Scorchio

214270 wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 11:07
tangodjango wrote:

That is BOTs equivalent of HAM in Singapore 2018 for me. Very tidy and while others seemed out of sorts he was extremely clean. Not nearly the same fanfare or gap achieved to teammate, but that looked very tidy.
Haven’t seen it but... did he gain time on the chicane?!

tangodjango
tangodjango

214270 wrote:
tangodjango wrote:

I'd agree that for Bottas that is the maximum level he could perform, in that respect it's equal to *his* Singapore 2018. Otherwise there is zero comparison to Singapore 2018 from a historical perspective which was an all time great qualifying performance.
Last edited by tangodjango on 11 Oct 2020, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

tangodjango
tangodjango

El Scorchio wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 11:49
214270 wrote:
tangodjango wrote:

Haven’t seen it but... did he gain time on the chicane?!
Mostly the turn 1 braking point which set him up for the rest of the lap.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Big Tea

I think Hamilton has 'had it easy for a while' and does not have his head in 'balls out for broke' mode straight off.
For many GP now he looks at what he has to do and casually upp's the game to what is required.

We see Botas lead in the first session so often, he probably is accustom to giving his best straight away, and Hamilton did not get his wind up time.
Comfort zone play. Do what is needed not the best you can.

Dont see much chance of him getting caught out except like this either.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Big Tea wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 12:02
I think Hamilton has 'had it easy for a while' and does not have his head in 'balls out for broke' mode straight off.
For many GP now he looks at what he has to do and casually upp's the game to what is required.

We see Botas lead in the first session so often, he probably is accustom to giving his best straight away, and Hamilton did not get his wind up time.

I was thinking about the "wind-up time" too. Hamilton seems to take his time getting into the rhythm of the track. Of course we don't know if there were setup issues too given how little they had in terms of data on the track.

Or maybe, Bottas simply got more out of the car this time.

Big Tea

e30ernest wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 12:05
Big Tea wrote:

I was thinking about the "wind-up time" too. Hamilton seems to take his time getting into the rhythm of the track. Of course we don't know if there were setup issues too given how little they had in terms of data on the track.

I think we will see the usual Lewis in the race. I like Bottas, but would put my money on Lewis every time in a head to head.

I do think Bottas deserves a win though, but he will have to work hard.

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 12:10
e30ernest wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I think we will see the usual Lewis in the race. I like Bottas, but would put my money on Lewis every time in a head to head.

Well if they are 1-2 and Hamilton is leading, usually he will just pull away, but if Bottas is leading Hamilton is usually stuck to the back of him like a limpet. Verstappen is the X factor here if he can get between them. Will Hamilton dare a risky one on him and risk a DNF if there’s contact? He’s the only one with anything to lose from the top three.

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 12:38
Big Tea wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 12:10
e30ernest wrote:

Well if they are 1-2 and Hamilton is leading, usually he will just pull away, but if Bottas is leading Hamilton is usually stuck to the back of him like a limpet. Verstappen is the X factor here if he can get between them. Will Hamilton dare a risky one on him and risk a DNF if there’s contact? He’s the only one with anything to lose from the top three.
A scrap between Lewis and Max when bottled up behind Bottas would be .... very entertaining :lol:

PlatinumZealot

Congratulations Lewis Hamilton for matching the great Michael Schumacher on your 91st win! It was inevitable.

That said, I could see that Bottas set his car up more for qualifying that the race. Watching the pole lap comparison, I could see that Bottas had more grip overall. He basically was faster everywhere. You don't just beat Lewis Hamilton by 3 tenths just like that now do you. hehe. Good on Bottas for at least trying something different. Unfortunately for him it didn't work out so well for his race pace. He was bottling up Lewis who was able to stick onto his bum like cow tick with a certain Max Verstappen not far behind. As soon as BOT locked up and Lewis went through , Lewis pulled away from Max easily. Again, same old same old; Lewis always sets up for the race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

El Scorchio

It’s a remarkable accomplishment. Strange to do it virtually next door to chez Schumacher.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hamilton will want more wins, obviously, but he can afford to P3 from here on in. Reliability and care required now for the title.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

The real question now is can he crack 100 wins? It’s possible this season and next. If he gets that and 2 more titles he might just call it a day after rewriting the record books.

Shrieker

El Scorchio wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 23:18
The real question now is can he crack 100 wins? It’s possible this season and next. If he gets that and 2 more titles he might just call it a day after rewriting the record books.
Kimi keeps going at 41, and will still be going @42 next year. I'd be surprised if Hamilton left before 42.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

adrianjordan

Shrieker wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 23:48
El Scorchio wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 23:18
Kimi keeps going at 41, and will still be going @42 next year. I'd be surprised if Hamilton left before 42.
I would and wouldn't at the same time. I feel like he'll only stop when he stops enjoying it. That will likely happen when he can no longer go into a race weekend knowing that he has a chance to fight for the win on a regular basis.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️