[ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: [ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

Zak Brown was in the commentary box for a while in testing today and he seemed cool about what RP are doing, even saying it's a good idea especially at this point with a big rule change coming up.
But really these team bosses are very political and rarely tell the truth. Maybe he's saying this through gritted teeth and secretly protesting.
F1 is dead.

SmallSoldier

McG wrote:Zak Brown was in the commentary box for a while in testing today and he seemed cool about what RP are doing, even saying it's a good idea especially at this point with a big rule change coming up.
But really these team bosses are very political and rarely tell the truth. Maybe he's saying this through gritted teeth and secretly protesting.
Or maybe, he really thinks that it’s ok, within the regulations and actually a very smart thing to do, especially on a year like this one in which there is no need to finish the season with a car with “potential”... After this season, none of this cars and their aero will be useful...

Copy the fastest car of 2019, ensure that gets you at least in the fight for the midfield with potential to lead it and use all the resources you had for developing a car (designers/engineers) to work on the 2021 car in advance... Smart move...

The fact that it bothers some fans, doesn’t mean that it has to bother the team’s...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McG

Maybe.
F1 is dead.

NAPI10

Other teams 'haven't stepped up' says Racing Point tech chief-
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... qXBO3.html

Emag

That's a bullish thing to say coming from a team whose original car design was going to --- at the end of the last season and had to resort to completely copying another design ...

thestig84

Emag wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 17:45
That's a bullish thing to say coming from a team whose original car design was going to --- at the end of the last season and had to resort to completely copying another design ...
Yeah some of the quotes coming out of RP are like they are trying to wind people up. I've lost any interest in them as they seem to have lost the spirt of the old versions of the team. Now big headed copycats with no ideas of their own.

Emag

thestig84 wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 18:14
Emag wrote:
Yeah some of the quotes coming out of RP are like they are trying to wind people up. I've lost any interest in them as they seem to have lost the spirt of the old versions of the team. Now big headed copycats with no ideas of their own.
If they actually turn out competitive, then good on them, whatever. But the statements that have come from the team lately have really made me "hate" them a bit. They were such a lovable team back in Force India days. The underdog taking the fight to the top teams. If they hadn't changed this much I would have actually rooted for them this season.

Instead, what they have done is completely taken out the innovation from their own team by copying another design. And they are completely open about it and are shamelessly putting down other teams who have maintained their originality.

They are acting like a bully, and usually people don't root for bullies ...

thestig84

Totally agree Emag!

Zynerji

Maybe they decided to just repurpose their innovative talent on 2021?

Not a bad idea at all, honestly. If it's an original 2021 car with the stop-gap being a copycat for 2020, it might be the 200IQ play.

Xero

Emag wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:31
If they actually turn out competitive, then good on them, whatever. But the statements that have come from the team lately have really made me "hate" them a bit. They were such a lovable team back in Force India days. The underdog taking the fight to the top teams. If they hadn't changed this much I would have actually rooted for them this season.

Instead, what they have done is completely taken out the innovation from their own team by copying another design. And they are completely open about it and are shamelessly putting down other teams who have maintained their originality.

I must admit I'm in the same boat. I mentioned this previously on here, but anything they achieve this season will be ridiculed by the majority of the fanbase. They've lost credibility before the season has even started. Feel sorry for those really talented engineers who have been punching above the team's weight for many seasons now, only to find their ideas and philosophies thrown in the bin. Yes I know it's the final year of these regulations and they'll be hard working on the 2021 car, but there must be some of them feeling a bit dejected. The image of the team will be slightly tarnished, Lawrence Stroll will be hoping rebranding to Aston Martin will paint over it.

That said, from a POV of getting ahead on 2021, it's a clever move. Big pros with big cons.

NOBS

Emag wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:31
thestig84 wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 18:14
Emag wrote:

Its fine when other teams calling them Copy Point, Tracing Point, Pink Marc etc. When RP retaliates; they become ‘Bully’??
RP simply outsmart their rivals & given a taste of their own medicine.

Emag

Look what happened after their recent statements. This was a poll posted on Reddit a while ago, and these are the results at this time.

NOBS

Emag wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 21:49
https://i.ibb.co/7b1BZNp/Screenshot-1.png

Look what happened after their recent statements. This was a poll posted on Reddit a while ago, and these are the results at this time.
I got ur point but look at it from a small team like 'RP' prospective.They r been discussed & hated( :D :D ) at same breath as 'Merc' & 'Ferrari' ; it's an opportunity.They have lot to gain & less to lose.

If they can simply manage to set that car effectively at each track with some development work; it will be a great achivement.

kimetic

Emag wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 21:49
https://i.ibb.co/7b1BZNp/Screenshot-1.png

This is just about not being an underdog any more, but now being a threat to some fans' own teams. And a couple of teams used to be fine with it, as long as it was teams behind them, so Andy Green is quite right.

gibells

Unfortunate fact of the matter is that if their engineers are in fact working on next year's car, it's not like they're going to be any good at it until they see other people's ideas. We know that wind tunnels and CFD are only good for analysis of the ideas at hand. It's not like they hand you the design. And unfortunately they've set their precident this year for the years to come.