[ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: [ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

Sieper wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 14:31
Yet Bottas was never able to even launch an attack on Max. But I see you actually agree with my expectation that RP would have defended on Max. Which is also one of the reasons they now have this car, in the words of not me but Toto Wolf.
Yes I did agree with you on most points. With regards to Bottas vs Max...It came at a different point in the race. The soft tire he put on unexpectedly didn't work for Bottas.

NAPI10

This is the second time RP has gone backward from Practice to Race.
Team is still struggling to understand package on high-speed circuits plus their tire strategies r bizzare of the late(which was their strong suit).

Big Tea

NAPI10 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 15:39
This is the second time RP has gone backward from Practice to Race.
Team is still struggling to understand package on high-speed circuits plus their tire strategies r bizzare of the late(which was their strong suit).
Quite possibly they were reluctant to go full dry setup and over estimated how much to allow for wet.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

collindsilva

Any updates planned for the next race, the ban on the engine modes may affect them badly, any thoughts..

NAPI10

Now both Ferrari & RP withdrawing the appeal; hope its an end of 'Copy Saga'.....at least till the launch of RP21.

PowerandtheGlory

NAPI10 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:42
Now both Ferrari & RP withdrawing the appeal; hope its an end of 'Copy Saga'.....at least till the launch of RP21.
There is at least some closure, RP did copy the merc too closely, the judgement will stand, hopefully the fia will police this better in future to stop teams being so blatant in copying ( i include all teans here ), ferrari need to concentrate on their own car, toto has done his best job of mediating the situation (he created), the reports on Mercedes’s spend last year show how the team had to try and re-coup their spending by selling parts to RP. In quali the car has looked good, but a bit less flash in the races. The power mode ban show how the FiA has taken control back to stop the influence from Mercedes, i think it will reduce overtaking overall. But ut does mean the Races are a bit more genuine.. its a shame the old “ clean air at the front” influence will dictate the races again, it looks harder for cars to come through without power modes (unless your car is no.44).. i wonder if Merc will strip off downforce on its car to prevent the issues with cooling and overtaking- that changes their concept- which will of course affect what RP can buy off them..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

NAPI10

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 09:59
NAPI10 wrote:
There is at least some closure, RP did copy the merc too closely, the judgement will stand, hopefully the fia will police this better in future to stop teams being so blatant in copying ( i include all teans here ), ferrari need to concentrate on their own car, toto has done his best job of mediating the situation (he created), the reports on Mercedes’s spend last year show how the team had to try and re-coup their spending by selling parts to RP. In quali the car has looked good, but a bit less flash in the races. The power mode ban show how the FiA has taken control back to stop the influence from Mercedes, i think it will reduce overtaking overall. But ut does mean the Races are a bit more genuine.. its a shame the old “ clean air at the front” influence will dictate the races again, it looks harder for cars to come through without power modes (unless your car is no.44).. i wonder if Merc will strip off downforce on its car to prevent the issues with cooling and overtaking- that changes their concept- which will of course affect what RP can buy off them..
RP will be buying rear suspension(along with other parts; maybe 'DAS' as well) from Merc for 2021 so won't it be a clone of W11?

PowerandtheGlory

NAPI10 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 14:09
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 09:59
NAPI10 wrote:
RP will be buying rear suspension(along with other parts; maybe 'DAS' as well) from Merc for 2021 so won't it be a clone of W11?
I think DAS is banned from next year anyway, but i think the practice of copying via photographing is not allowed. I have no idea yet how the fia will police this, but i suggest by visting teams to ensure the design process is organic - and maybe by comparing measurements from team to team.. but surely the judgement is enough for teams to stay away from the RP model this year..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

SmallSoldier

NAPI10 wrote:Now both Ferrari & RP withdrawing the appeal; hope its an end of 'Copy Saga'.....at least till the launch of RP21.
There won’t be an RP21... Either AM1 or AM21 :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kptaylor

So after this past showing by Stroll, do you think he proved he will be the driver leaving instead of Perez? Completely rookie/amateur mistakes at the restart blowing a sure win...

SmallSoldier

kptaylor wrote:So after this past showing by Stroll, do you think he proved he will be the driver leaving instead of Perez? Completely rookie/amateur mistakes at the restart blowing a sure win...
I don’t think it warrants keeping Perez instead of him... He is still a young driver and he isn’t too far behind a very experienced Perez.

He also has 57 points versus the 34 of Perez, which even if we take the points from both British GP’s where Perez didn’t race, he has outscored him.

If Perez would be beating him, as Max is doing with Albon, Russell with Latifi or Alonso to Stoffel back then, maybe... But, he is out scoring his team mate, is the son of the owner and has arguably more potential than Perez who after all this years in F1 is already at his peak, while Stroll will keep developing.

So no, I don’t think he would be the one leaving... The only reason I can see him leaving the team instead of Perez is if the team (his dad) values more the sponsorship money that Perez brings to the team.

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 19:48
kptaylor wrote:So after this past showing by Stroll, do you think he proved he will be the driver leaving instead of Perez? Completely rookie/amateur mistakes at the restart blowing a sure win...
I don’t think it warrants keeping Perez instead of him... He is still a young driver and he isn’t too far behind a very experienced Perez.

He also has 57 points versus the 34 of Perez, which even if we take the points from both British GP’s where Perez didn’t race, he has outscored him.

If Perez would be beating him, as Max is doing with Albon, Russell with Latifi or Alonso to Stoffel back then, maybe... But, he is out scoring his team mate, is the son of the owner and has arguably more potential than Perez who after all this years in F1 is already at his peak, while Stroll will keep developing.

So no, I don’t think he would be the one leaving... The only reason I can see him leaving the team instead of Perez is if the team (his dad) values more the sponsorship money that Perez brings to the team.

I agree, not a huge amount in it and Lance has been improving. Not as easy as good driver or pay driver.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NAPI10

I would have prefered Perez over Lance but Lance has shown a lot of improvement over last few races. He is still making some mistakes in quali but overall looked improved driver this season.
His overtake over Max during the early phase of Italian GP was really impressive; which not many drivers on the grid able to achieve...

Morteza

Perez to leave Racing Point at the end of the season
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bosyber

NAPI10 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 23:50
I would have prefered Perez over Lance but Lance has shown a lot of improvement over last few races. He is still making some mistakes in quali but overall looked improved driver this season.
His overtake over Max during the early phase of Italian GP was really impressive; which not many drivers on the grid able to achieve...
I do have to say that in the last few races, I did think Lance Stroll is still missing changes (like a potential win or 2nd last weekend?!), being too apprehensive after the 1st lap great start he tends to have, especially when he is near the front/fighting for something real. But, Perez hasn't really wowed me this season either, apart from the much better work he did in Austria race, and his qualifying has not been super either (might just be Stroll having improved, Perez was never brilliant at qualifying I don't think).

But, given Stroll now is quite solid, maybe having a Vettel who wants to prove himself some, might be a great thing for the team. Here he would be able to be smart in the car, give suggestions for strategy, but be listened to, and then trusted to get it right. So, yeah, with Perez not being a young upcoming guy either, might well be they see it as the best choice in that way too.